Kingdom Enduro 2020

Dirt Tracker

Is anyone else thinking of doing this? I am interested but not too sure what the associated costs would be on top of the R5k (camping) or R12k (shared room :eek: ) entry fee. 

I'm guessing driving would be the best as you'd have to factor flights to where ever then car hire. 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

https://kingdomenduro.com

Driving is good, if you have the time. Doing it in one day is unpleasant but saves overnight accommodation costs. Just check border crossing times.

I've always stopped at Smithfield, stayed at Nick's Place and Rufpatch (they've got some local MTB memorabilia from the 90s). Enter Lesotho at the quiet Van Rooyen's Gate (5 minutes). The Maseru Bridge crossing can take time if you're unlucky. There is about 80 km of dirt road from Smithfield (if that's an issue). It's plain sailing all the way to Roma from there. Just load up your offline map before crossing the border.

All of this is assuming Cape Town departure  :whistling:

Driving is good, if you have the time. Doing it in one day is unpleasant but saves overnight accommodation costs. Just check border crossing times.

I've always stopped at Smithfield, stayed at Nick's Place and Rufpatch (they've got some local MTB memorabilia from the 90s). Enter Lesotho at the quiet Van Rooyen's Gate (5 minutes). The Maseru Bridge crossing can take time if you're unlucky. There is about 80 km of dirt road from Smithfield (if that's an issue). It's plain sailing all the way to Roma from there. Just load up your offline map before crossing the border.

All of this is assuming Cape Town departure  :whistling:

Thanks so much, I've done the Swazi' to CT non stop so should be fine. I'm in a 4x2 Hi-lux so am assuming that will be fine for the roads I'll encounter into the camp?  

Thanks so much, I've done the Swazi' to CT non stop so should be fine. I'm in a 4x2 Hi-lux so am assuming that will be fine for the roads I'll encounter into the camp?  

Then probably just shoot up the N1 the whole way. Ignore my detour.

There's a 400 metre section of gravel to the lodge that is travelled regularly by normal passenger vehicles. Everything else is tarred. You'll be more than fine. 

When i worked it out it came out cheaper to go to Europe

I was thinking the same thing when looking at the entry with accomodation as opposed to camping. Is the lodge a 5* type place? Seems like it would be pretty special for the extra R7000 for 3 nights. 

Accom at the trading post is basic but comfy. Certainly not 5k or 12k worth. Someone is taking the piss

Did any of you guys ride this last year or have ridden any of the trails which they cut for the race?

If not, then just be wary of assuming anything.

It is world class riding at a level far exceeding anything we have 'race ready' here. Throw 2 x Ezelenduro's together but make the trails steeper and scarier.

Is it cheaper to go to Europe and enter a fully Certified EWS multi day race? Ludo May reckons the trails they rode last year, race and before/after the race are as radical as anything he has ever ridden with an African rawness.

Adam Ramseau has built some wonders.

I get that it's expensive, but it's also an experience. Wines2whales 3 day stage race 'non tented' accommodation package costs R10500 per person and I can assure you this blows that out of the water with an atomic bomb.

So on par price wise with a pretty average 3 day stage race but set in one of the most beautiful places on trails that will blow your mind with people of radness and crazy cheap Maluti Lager....

You gravity/Endurobro's are a bunch of cheap bastards! The Marathon boys shell out with glee!  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Accom at the trading post is basic but comfy. Certainly not 5k or 12k worth. Someone is taking the piss

If you have a camper!van its cool.

When a proper thunderstorm and rain hits, you might like the 7k option more.

Did any of you guys ride this last year or have ridden any of the trails which they cut for the race?

It is world class riding at a level far exceeding anything we have 'race ready' here. Throw 2 x Ezelenduro's together but make the trails steeper and scarier.

Is it cheaper to go to Europe and enter a fully Certified EWS multi day race? Ludo May reckons the trails they rode last year, race and before/after the race are as radical as anything he has ever ridden with an African rawness.

I get that it's expensive, but it's also an experience. Wines2whales 3 day stage race 'non tented' accommodation package costs R10500 per person and I can assure you this blows that out of the water with an atomic bomb.

So on par price wise with a pretty average 3 day stage race but set in one of the most beautiful places on trails that will blow your mind with people of radness and crazy cheap Maluti Lager....

You gravity/Endurobro's are a bunch of cheap bastards! The Marathon boys shell out with glee! :whistling: :ph34r:

Well put! The builder is Rene Damseaux and the trails are gnarly. You'll learn alot about how far you and your bike can be pushed as well as lots of hike-a-bike. But it's as you say us baggy wearing dudes are cheap while the chaps in lycra are happy to shell out wheelbarrows of cash to race down district roads. Unfortunately I'll be missing 2020 but 2021 it's on!

You gravity/Endurobro's are a bunch of cheap bastards! The Marathon boys shell out with glee! :whistling: :ph34r:

Agree with everything except W2W comparison - W2W is completely overpriced.

It sounds like this justifies the premium price relative to other stage races though, W2W certainly doesn't.

Guys are riding old Roof of Africa and donkey tracks. I’m sorry when a guided Enduro (motorcycle) 3 day tour can be together done in Lesotho for less than 3k including accom and food then someone is taking the piss. But shell out if it works for you. The trails are beyond epic so it’s an experience for sure

The trails are amazing (well actually there are no 'trails' alot of the time it's herders paths, donkey tracks & just natural madness), I've only had the briefest encounters of riding there & the thought of an enduro makes my fitness levels start blushing with embarrassment. 

No doubt it's an 'experience' & well on par with europe BUT the discrepancy between the R5000 camping & the R12000 accomodation could do with explaining a bit. These are also Early Bird Rates so not sure what the full price will be.

I know that place & I also know the walk-in rates for the rooms go from around R200 through to about R800 per person / per night sharing. I've run events & rallys up there, Moz', Zambia, Namibia, Malawi, Botswana & if you're booking the whole place with 100+ people you're be getting a much lower rate. 

Is it a package? Doesn't seem so. It does seem that the extra R7000 per person gets you a shared room with your friend or a complete stranger, the same food as camping, the same race as camping, the same same really. Or you can be a spectator for R2000 with same camping & food. 

The event looks amazing, people I know who rode this last year can't stop raving about it. Make no mistake this is a super tough 3 days & for R5000 the camping & food option is a bargain especially if you consider the 3 WC enduro package was over R1000, a set of tyres is around R2000, just going to pick n' pay for bread milk & coffee seems to be be the price of new pedals! 

Edited by Yo-Yo