These dam cyclists!!

Chingy182

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cyclists-accident-causes-george-dam-construction-site-to-shut-down-20190917

I found this article quite rich, "The situation results in a minority group exposing the entire community to project delays and cost claims by the contractor"

Trespassing is one thing, but to go on and play the high horse card about cyclists causing project delays and wasted time and money in SA is laughable.

I mean it's not like we ever consider the impact of the shutdown around Houtbay or 1000 other places when hooligans swarm the streets and bring an entire community to a grinding halt?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me its quite simple. Just do the right thing. Does not matter what other people do or there reasons for doing it. Just be the best you can be and role model for your children. Stupid things happen to ignorant and self righteous people.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cyclists-accident-causes-george-dam-construction-site-to-shut-down-20190917

I found this article quite rich, "The situation results in a minority group exposing the entire community to project delays and cost claims by the contractor"

Trespassing is one thing, but to go on and play the high horse card about cyclists causing project delays and wasted time and money in SA is laughable.

I mean it's not like we ever consider the impact of the shutdown around Houtbay or 1000 other places when hooligans swarm the streets and bring an entire community to a grinding halt?

What are you on about?!

It is what it is.

You obviously have little understanding of the OHS implications and repercussions of such an incident on a site like that...

If you have ever been to any site you would know what issues there are to get in even if you belong there, so imagine cycling around on a construction site on a large scale like this where they are busy raising the wall.

An article like this is a good way to remind people that they cannot just go and wander about where ever they please and that construction sites are actually quite dangerous.

I see only facts in the article.

"Whataboutism" is incredibly poor reasoning. Just because some hooligans are burning trucks elsewhere doesn't change what happened here.

Assuming the contractor's costs are passed to the municipality, the municipality should recover those costs from those that caused the delay. Just like business should grow the balls to take the unions/councilors that stoke violent behavior to civil court.

An article like this is a good way to remind people that they cannot just go and wander about where ever they please and that construction sites are actually quite dangerous.

I have seen people ride into a clearly marked and cordoned off area in Tokai Forest while the loggers were felling trees and the chainsaws were screaming for all to hear. :wacko:

As someone working in construction i think im qualified to say i think your reasoning is poor. Imagine you are building a house, your labourers have dug the trenches for the foundations. You come back to site the next day to see your trenches have collapsed due to kids playing tag on your site. Now you have to spend another day to rectify your previous day’s work. Nevermind the fact that the trenches could have collapsed and caused injury to said kids. A day’s labour is now gone and your project falls a day behind schedule. Will you be happy to just pay for it? What if there was injury, what would your reaction to that be?

The scale of the site increases the additional cost of labour as well as the potential risk of injury, that i am sure is obvious.

Its this age of entitlement we live in. Gets on my tits.

Edited by gemmerbal

Nah I don't agree with you. The guys trespassing(cyclist, pedestrian, what ever) are just a bunch of arrogant spiteful idiots. As with pretty much all proper constructions sites the sign boards and barricades are clear. Besides, common sense should prevail but clearly these okes don't have any. I work in aviation and we too have strict policies and it's not just to irritate or stuff people around, it's for your own damn safety. Someone not familiar with how something in the specific industry works might not know what to expect a bulldozer or plane or tractor etc to do next and that is why they are meant to be kept away. We do ground runs on the aircraft in our run-up bay and when we are going to be running the engine we switch on red flashing lights by the entrance to the run-up bay. There is a big sign that says don't enter while the red lights are flashing because jet blast can kill you. Now guys like myself and other fellow technicians understand this and will also know where to drive/stand when approaching a live aircraft. A few years ago(probably like 15/20) a catering truck decided to drive into the bay while we were doing a ground run on a 747 and they drove right behind the aircraft. Their small truck was blown all the way up the side embankment and over the side. The driver and I think 3 other people died because the driver never obeyed the instructions. The rules are there for a reason, obey them! It's simple. 

same cyclists probably crying and moaning when they can't wash their bikes because of a water shortage because of the dam being delayed....

Safety incidents in construction and mining are big deals, they can have operations shut down for weeks.

I lived in George for most of my life, and the problem at the dam is that the wall forms part of the entrance to the dam mtb route as well as to Saasveld. Now, I am pretty confident that the rider(s) in question reckoned that since part of their "trail" has become a off-limits construction site, it clearly does not apply to them. They could quite frankly dismiss the entry prohibitions, and dam well go do as they please, except this time, someone got hurt. I would also cry foul if I was the contractor / municipality / medical evacuation co. etc.

Just because you ride a bicycle, albeit a mountain bike or a road bike, or even a frikken e-bike, there is no need to be a twat. I will not be surprised at all if the bloke in question gets dragged before a magistrate to enforce cost recovery.

it's quite simple, really. If there is a big sign that says NO ENTRY ----stay the vark out!

And to make things even more simple, use one of the many other entrances to the same trail. The dam wall is not the only one.

I have seen people ride into a clearly marked and cordoned off area in Tokai Forest while the loggers were felling trees and the chainsaws were screaming for all to hear. :wacko:

Scary! In my young life I have seen a couple of accidents involving falling trees and it did not end well.

No.

Trespassing is one thing, but trespassing on a construction site is another infinitely more stupid thing.

And cleaning up starts at home. You can't point fingers at Hout Bay and protest action and expect people to pay attention to your hoorah while you think they shouldn't make a noise about a multi million rand project grinding to a halt. That is just hypocritical.