Which Trek Road Bike

BigDL

Many thanks guys. What about the SL5 v SL6? 105 to Ultegra as far as I can see and different wheels? Worth the cost difference? My current road bike is ancient so I would be wanting to ride a new one for a good few years, so happyish to spend a bit more if needed, depending what I can get away with.

The new 105 is very nice, and functionally-wise, it's the best bang-for-buck groupset. But if Ultegra is going to make you want to ride more, get Ultegra.

In fact, get the bike that's going to make you want to ride more.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 2020 Madone SL6 disc and love it. It's sprints like a mofo, is stiff as hell and doubles up as a short tri/du bike.

For you I reckon the Domane is a better choice. It is more relaxed, has an internal sotrage box and can double up as a light duty gravel bike. It can take wider tyres than the Madone.

I haven't really checked the specs but spring for the Ultegra if you can. It's smooth as butter.

I think this is the business

Add a set of carbon 38mm deep sections coupled to a DT Swiss 240 hoofed with a 38 tubeless and it's a super comfortable ride

Given that you mention back issues and riding discomfort, I would say take the Domane... and make sure you get an expert bike fit done.

Im also always a fan of Ultegra rather than 105, but if going for the SL5 allows you to maybe upgrade wheels i would say take the SL5 and see if you can swap out the wheels for the Aeolus Pro 3 or Pro5. Its always cheaper to spec from the start rather than try to upgrade later on. The paradigm wheels that come as standard are rubbish.

So maybe:

Domane SL5 (save a couple of thousand)

Swap paradigm wheelset for Aeolus Pro

Pay in small difference...

Walk away happy with an amazing bike.

Personally in addition to nice light, stiff wheels - I'd want any new bike I buy to have electronic shifting (Ultegra Di2 at least). Unfortunately on the Domane that means going up a model with quite a big price jump. The Domane is definitely one of the best looking bikes out there though, with isoflex and running tubeless it should be more than comfy enough.

I know its a silly thing as you aren't a newbie - but with regards to lower back pain, have you had a proper bikefit. Normally lower back pain after longer rides = saddle to far back, makes your lower back muscles work too hard. I used to suffer from it after 3 hour plus rides, moved my saddle about 20 mm forward after a lazer bikefit session, problem gone. It was amazing after riding for nearly 3 years :).

I'm also looking at finally getting a new road bike, after drooling over the Trek for 2 years - I'm finally going to go for a Scott: https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-addict-rc-15-red-bike

The main reasons, lighter and includes Ultegra Di2 for quite a bit less.

Sorry that this is off topic but I have just noticed that all 3 models mentioned have the same letters, just in a different order.

DOMANE

EMONDA

MADONE

A D E M N O

Anyone know why?

Sorry that this is off topic but I have just noticed that all 3 models mentioned have the same letters, just in a different order.

DOMANE

EMONDA

MADONE

A D E M N O

Anyone know why?

Just something they do. When they release their next superbike they can call it ADEMON. Or when they build a really stiff and uncomfortable one they can call it MOANED or DEMONA, and their gravel bike could be NOMADE.

Edited by bertusras

Just something they do. When they release their next superbike they can call it ADEMON. Or when they build a really stiff and uncomfortable one they can call it MOANED or DEMONA, and their gravel bike could be NOMADE.

So the letters don't mean anything? Did they just randomly pick the first one and then decide to think of names for the rest?

So the letters don't mean anything? Did they just randomly pick the first one and then decide to think of names for the rest?

The Madone is named after the Col de La Madone where Lance used to do a lot of his pre season training.

It's just north of Nice.

As far as I know a lot of pro's still use it as a pre season test of form. Much like Sa Calobra on Mallorca and Rocacorba just outside Girona in Spain. Roads that haven't been used in GT's but the Strava leader boards are a who's who in the cycling world.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

And the Pedal assist gravel bike will be the E-Nomad....

Personally in addition to nice light, stiff wheels - I'd want any new bike I buy to have electronic shifting (Ultegra Di2 at least). Unfortunately on the Domane that means going up a model with quite a big price jump. The Domane is definitely one of the best looking bikes out there though, with isoflex and running tubeless it should be more than comfy enough.

I know its a silly thing as you aren't a newbie - but with regards to lower back pain, have you had a proper bikefit. Normally lower back pain after longer rides = saddle to far back, makes your lower back muscles work too hard. I used to suffer from it after 3 hour plus rides, moved my saddle about 20 mm forward after a lazer bikefit session, problem gone. It was amazing after riding for nearly 3 years :).

I'm also looking at finally getting a new road bike, after drooling over the Trek for 2 years - I'm finally going to go for a Scott: https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-addict-rc-15-red-bike

The main reasons, lighter and includes Ultegra Di2 for quite a bit less.

I did have a fit in 2013 in Pretoria, have changed seatpost and saddle since then, so might be worth doing again. I think the biggest issue is my bars are so much lower than my saddle (and the gearing is hard as anything 11/28 at the back and 54/38 at the front). I am reluctant to invest too much into an almost 20 year old bike though.

4955e8b35bee555d44c8f2962edf18b2.jpg

I did have a fit in 2013 in Pretoria, have changed seatpost and saddle since then, so might be worth doing again. I think the biggest issue is my bars are so much lower than my saddle (and the gearing is hard as anything 11/28 at the back and 54/38 at the front). I am reluctant to invest too much into an almost 20 year old bike though.

a Local bike shop bike fit or a proper bike fit ?

most of the times there is a big difference between the 2

Drop doesn't look too aggressive imho, but need consider all the other stuff, your measurements, stem length, cleat position etc - when I did my fit last month I actually went 3 spacers lower on the front at the same time as the saddle move (slightly higher and forward).

It was my first RETUL fit (http://retul.com) v.s bikeshop+measuring tape when I got my current bike. They take all your measurements, then stick tracer dots on various pivot points and lazers do the movement data gathering while you pedal on an IDT. It then shows the movements of all the points and what the recommended min/max angles are etc. Its data driven, but the fitter still makes judgement calls on what to move, then measures and iterates.

Like I said I've been riding for a while and I was surprised how my lower back pain is completely gone. I always just thought it was normal fatigue to have some lower back pain after a 4+ hour ride.

I am pretty sure they should be able to adjust your current bike without any huge costs - might be worth it to know what is comfortable for you v.s the new bike geometry.

a Local bike shop bike fit or a proper bike fit ?

most of the times there is a big difference between the 2

Cycle lab - Pretoria (when it was still there)

Drop doesn't look too aggressive imho, but need consider all the other stuff, your measurements, stem length, cleat position etc - when I did my fit last month I actually went 3 spacers lower on the front at the same time as the saddle move (slightly higher and forward).

It was my first RETUL fit (http://retul.com) v.s bikeshop+measuring tape when I got my current bike. They take all your measurements, then stick tracer dots on various pivot points and lazers do the movement data gathering while you pedal on an IDT. It then shows the movements of all the points and what the recommended min/max angles are etc. Its data driven, but the fitter still makes judgement calls on what to move, then measures and iterates.

Like I said I've been riding for a while and I was surprised how my lower back pain is completely gone. I always just thought it was normal fatigue to have some lower back pain after a 4+ hour ride.

I am pretty sure they should be able to adjust your current bike without any huge costs - might be worth it to know what is comfortable for you v.s the new bike geometry.

Good call - I’ll look into that maybe for next week.