Bikes for Trail Riding... The start

Hairy

Not a "real" trail bike, but its what I have and I love it! Takes me everywhere I want to go. bBeen upgraded slightly with the following

DHR front tyre (courtesy of the_bob)

NX derailluer (upgraded because the original one got damaged)

Dropper post

780mm handle bars

45mm stem

and increased fork travel from 100mm to 120mmpost-140742-0-61360600-1569427855_thumb.jpg

For a R12k bike, its pretty awesome

Edited by Chadvdw67

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still my perfect bike. Love it the more I ride it.

Intense Primer SL. 130mm rear, 140mm front. Smidgen over 12kg. Just perfect!

1SZmJCf.jpg

Intense still my dream ride!!!

Mulling over getting myself a Nukeproof Reactor frameset and slowly building up a bike over the next few months. 

Winter is approaching in the northern hemisphere, so there's no rush. Just wondering whether doing a build might actually end up being more expensive than just buying the whole bike outright. 

http://nukeproof.com/wp-content/uploads/prod182089_Matt-Grey_NE_01.jpg

http://nukeproof.com/wp-content/uploads/prod182144_Matt-Grey_NE_01-1.jpg

Mulling over getting myself a Nukeproof Reactor frameset and slowly building up a bike over the next few months. 

Winter is approaching in the northern hemisphere, so there's no rush. Just wondering whether doing a build might actually end up being more expensive than just buying the whole bike outright. 

Also so tempted. 27.5 alloy with a silver Pike would look pretty sweet.

Also so tempted. 27.5 alloy with a silver Pike would look pretty sweet.

They're not cheap though. €2.3k for an alu frameset - ouch! For 200 bucks more I can get this baby...

399310.jpg

They're not cheap though. €2.3k for an alu frameset - ouch! For 200 bucks more I can get this baby...

399310.jpg

Ouch, just checked out the pricing now. 

If I do decide to pull the trigger, I'll in any case wait for some sort of sale first. I don't pay full retail.

Yeah, I was surprised on the price on those and to be honest I'd prolly look elsewhere for an alu frame set (or maybe even a DS steel). Trannys and Ripmo AFs have got to be an option as well when you're throwing coin like that down. I really want to try a Kingdom DS or the new Superstar. Truthfully I'd buy the whole bike and work from there. Every build I've done I've looked at it after and just wondered why I didn't just buy a whole bike and not be a fool. Busy trying to work on a 853 steel hard tail. Got the frame at bargain but trying to spec it out, even cheaply with a GX 11, Revelation / Mattoc fork etc is going to be way more than loads of the full build Cotics that are up for grabs in the classifieds. 

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the Bikes For Enduro thread or this new Bikes For Trail Riding but decided on putting it here as I already have a bike for Enduro and I actually built this as my Trail and everyday do it all bike. I have not been enjoying peddling the Knolly Warden around as it's too burly for everyday missions... 

Dartmoor Hornet with 160mm Lyrik and some other decent bits - What can I say, I've missed a hardtail, what an absolute jol ripping this thing around. It's quick, efficient and likes to get rad even when I don't so keeps me on my toes... Or on my face... Haven't ridden the "enduro" bike in a while and haven't missed it to be honest, having too much fun on this thing.

Edit: Oh yes, I kept it humble with 2.3 tyres instead of going 2.8" (I have to try that out at some point). Theres definitely a sting in the rear but I'm learning to use my legs a lot more as got so lazy with the full squish...

post-43699-0-59563100-1569501260_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-47960500-1569501488_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-59180800-1569501510_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-34000000-1569501537_thumb.jpg

Edited by BaltazarMarques

Doing a build will ALWAYS work out more (Yes you could skimp but generally that is not the case) and even using modest parts etc it works out more than if you had just bought a complete bike. BUT, I always find there are loads of things I want to change on a stock bike anyway, even a higher end model so you spend more anyway, but at least you can sell the stock parts to offset the new parts you want...

I love a custom build so if you have time and cash to build slowly I think it's the way to go. If you want to get going as soon as then just buy a complete and upgrade as you go.

Doing a build will ALWAYS work out more (Yes you could skimp but generally that is not the case) and even using modest parts etc it works out more than if you had just bought a complete bike. BUT, I always find there are loads of things I want to change on a stock bike anyway, even a higher end model so you spend more anyway, but at least you can sell the stock parts to offset the new parts you want...

I love a custom build so if you have time and cash to build slowly I think it's the way to go. If you want to get going as soon as then just buy a complete and upgrade as you go.

Same thing with my limited experience BUT you get so choose exactly what you want, shop around, study things and prices. For me it is much more fun collecting all the bits and bobs, changing my mind 1000 times, playing with the bits that I have already bought. It’ lekker.