Origin Of Trails 2019

ValeYellow

It is a simple matter of priority. I ride there over weekends but I also like the vibe of an event. But for this I don't need a shirt and free food. Take that out and we are back at around R1000. Which is feasible if you look at other 2 day events in WC. 

SA's economy is in ***, and spare cash is scarce. People must make tougher decisions these days. Or I at least. These over-inflated event price increases are not in line with the times. If I had to make a choice I'd let go of the T-shirt and eat a home-made sandwich but get to ride the race... but that's just  me... Maybe I just have strange priorities....

I agree race entry fees are getting ridiculously expensive,I used to enter one or two races a month these days it is down to maybe three a year,the sport has become a sport for the rich

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been doing this event since 2013, I must warn anyone seeded C and below. The E bikes smash the first climb and then dismount to walk the single track, it can get frustrating, there is that much narrow ST, you just cannot pass

I am in Batch D so I will be behind the e-bikers after the 1st climb.

Maybe I will be so slow that the traffic jam will have disappeared before I get to the top

Edited by I FLY

Yup, done this event marathon every year but no more:

- It is a crazy, crazy entry fee

- these are trails you can ride any day of the year

- I don't want another shirt

- I don't want food

- I don't want to sit in the heat to listen to the band

- Chill tent with beer and burgers for sale is enough for after ride vibe

So, please, asking R1,600 for trails you can ride for R50 a day is outrageous and trying to justify it with food, shirts and 'after party' promotions is a joke.

Further, the new day 2 (basically part of Wannabee trails) are fun for getting off the tar - yes, there are some long climbs an ascent challenges to make it a marathon event; but they are boring and nothing compared to the Banhoek side of the mountain with added great features getting there and back.

A few weeks back, I sent the organisers my comment similar to above - and all they could say was ; free food, free shirt and a  free music after party; justifies their entry fee !!

Well - sorry for you - you won't be getting my money any longer - My main priority is the route (and sometimes a water table).

phew ! - glad I got that out of my system.

I do agree, cut out the T-Shirt, the free food, the music, like there is only shaded seating for around 50 people anyway and bring the price down, who eats the breakfast and lunch anyway.

Maybe we are just getting old, 

Yup, done this event marathon every year but no more:

- It is a crazy, crazy entry fee

- these are trails you can ride any day of the year

- I don't want another shirt

- I don't want food

- I don't want to sit in the heat to listen to the band

- Chill tent with beer and burgers for sale is enough for after ride vibe

So, please, asking R1,600 for trails you can ride for R50 a day is outrageous and trying to justify it with food, shirts and 'after party' promotions is a joke.

Further, the new day 2 (basically part of Wannabee trails) are fun for getting off the tar - yes, there are some long climbs an ascent challenges to make it a marathon event; but they are boring and nothing compared to the Banhoek side of the mountain with added great features getting there and back.

A few weeks back, I sent the organisers my comment similar to above - and all they could say was ; free food, free shirt and a  free music after party; justifies their entry fee !!

Well - sorry for you - you won't be getting my money any longer - My main priority is the route (and sometimes a water table).

phew ! - glad I got that out of my system.

But even if they cut out all the bells & whistles and offer a "bare boned"-event it will still be expensive compared to riding the trails for R50 on your own?

Maybe the local guys who can ride the trails whenever they want are not the target market?

I imagine the idea is to offer an experience, specifically a race experience for the sharp end of the field & social experience for the rest that you don't get when you go ride the trails on your own or with a few mates.

I feel similar about events on the Tygerberg Trails on my doorstep, would never pay extra to do an event on trails I ride every other weekend, but something like Origin is appealing to me because I don't get to ride in S'bosch often so the trails are novel to me + you get the experience of an event.

Well I had a bit of fun out on the bike today with the Origin of trails.

A good bit of connecting tar sections, but all in a decent ride and ended up having a good time with people I have never met before.

"Paul" in the Savannah shirt, if you are reading this drop me a PM!

I rode the marathon and can say it was a fantastic 2 days on the bike.

I highly recommend doing it and I'll be back next year.

Perfect balance between single track and gravel roads.

There are a few races on the calendar that could learn a lot from the route planning for this event.

Also really enjoyed it a lot, first time riding the trails on that side of the cape and was hectic here and there.  Very little to complain about (other than my own fitness and stepping up my skills around riding drops)

It is a great event, trails are great, I cannot help but think they should consider leaving out the breakfast and lunch, drop the free T Shirt and bring the price down, im sure at least half the riders dont eat, if you are hungry buy a Spur Burger, its R800 per day for 50KM

It is a great event, trails are great, I cannot help but think they should consider leaving out the breakfast and lunch, drop the free T Shirt and bring the price down, im sure at least half the riders dont eat, if you are hungry buy a Spur Burger, its R800 per day for 50KM

I missed the breakfast and lunch yesterday (did not ride Sat) ... where they serving this?

Ended up doing the ride on a breakfast of a coffee and water I had when I left home! 

either way people will still moan and come with the "R50 day-permit" argument  :whistling:

I missed the breakfast and lunch yesterday (did not ride Sat) ... where they serving this?

Ended up doing the ride on a breakfast of a coffee and water I had when I left home! 

you had to have finished before sunset to get lunch  :ph34r:

you had to have finished before sunset to get lunch  :ph34r:

Tsek ... was chilling for sometime before the prize giving ... and had the pleasure of starting in the last group as I did not ride Sat.

Oh ... #FunFact ... DHR 2.4" tyres do not make good marathon tyres :P