Post parts broken (bone, steel, or plastic) from use, crash, accident etc

My Kona frame I snapped at tokai pre fire

p4pb12971340.jpg

A steel pipe down the seattube and it's good to go again :P

Bits of titanium upgrade - it makes impressive clickity-clack noises

I have two in my thumb and 2 in my knee, eish, but damn, you have a comb

Edited by Eddy Gordo

A steel pipe down the seattube and it's good to go again :P

I was gonna fix it, but the top tube is warped. It has some ripples near the headtube.

I was gonna fix it, but the top tube is warped. It has some ripples near the headtube.

Same thing happened to my old Cannondale Scalpel. I cut a 3 or 4 cm piece of old seatpost, "bent" the crack open as far as needed and sleeved the piece of post in halfway. Welded it. Slid the frame over the pipe and welded it again. My dad took the bike over and has been using it for over 5 years.

Beattbox' Trek broken on Hans Se Kop, W2W Day 1

Perhaps I should add the rest of this particular broken bike story:

Beattbox and I were riding the W2W a few years ago and just after the top of the Hans Se Kop climb, for no particular reason, and luckily when going slowly on the single track, CRACK, the Trek broke in half! Poor Beattbox was seriously depressed because he had a reputation for breaking bicycles, I don't know why, he's such a gentle soul! After thinking things over we decided that I would carry on to the end of Day 1 at Oak Valley and he would walk down the mountain and try hitch a ride back to the start at Lourensford. This is where it got amazing!

From up on the mountain Beattbox phoned his brother in law, our Team Pain or Shine "manager" and he immediately dropped his work commitments in Cape Town. His wife rushed his own mtb from home in Blouberg to his office in the city. From there he raced (he's a fast car nut) through to Somerset West with the replacement loaner bike where he was just in time to meet Beattbox along the N2 at Sir Lowries pass, having made his way down the mountain, pick him up and deliver him to Oak Valley just as I finished! With a clean and lubed bike! Ready for Day 2!

The same Team Manager once used a hacksaw on the roof rack of his BMW X5 to cut out a piece of aluminium pipe in an attempt to fix a broken seat post for Beattbox during a Double Century.

I wish I had family like that! Oh wait, I do! And friends too! And riding buddies!

Edited by DJR

msg-42726-0-36945300-1572259786.jpeg

General thoughts on this hairline crack being repairable? Anyone?

hairline ?

You can try but have it done by someone that REALLy knows what they're doing cause that's A highstress  area supporting the seatpost and the pivot just above it 

...will probably just crack again within a year

Tiletoria last year when the end of a brand new skewer decided to make a bid for freedom as I was braking... Wheel came out and I ended up with a substantially bent rotor.

Couldn't fix the skewer, didn't try taking the rotor off because had no way of keeping the wheel in place anyway, so had a nice 3 km hike with my bike on my back.

post-132504-0-86659000-1572270132_thumb.png

post-132504-0-34667200-1572270139_thumb.png

hubmarket-19687-0-98305900-1430727660_me

Slight crack on the bottom of the the rear triangle of my old 26er BMC FS02. Bought it 2nd hand like that :(

Repairing it would cost more than it's worth spending on the bike and fortunately the way everything clamps together it's holding up fine. There seems to be internal support structures / chambers as well. The agents don't have stock of these old parts anymore, but maybe I'll find a spare one someday.

msg-42726-0-36945300-1572259786.jpeg

General thoughts on this hairline crack being repairable? Anyone?

Looks like the top of that crack is following the weld to a certain degree - this would indicate that there is either heat damage or some kind of damage to the actual crystalline structure of the material.  This is generally caused by an overheated weld during the manufacture process and is irreparable - the problem that you have is that there's damage to the structure of the material.  It could be welded up again, but you will further weaken the structure of the material in a very high stress area.  So, there is a chance of a catastrophic failure the next time, which could be really painful.  If you have a choice, replace the part.  Much, much safer.

Looks like a Pyga. Maybe contact them. I don't think that they make those frames anymore, but maybe they can help with a warranty claim / discount on another frame.

Edited by Jacquers