Let's Put a Stop to This

AlanD

Hi All,

Current Brakes: Avid Trail 9, 4 piston

Although these brakes have served me well and are really good, I'm finding the gradual power they provide doesn't stop me fast enough and feel there is too much modulation.

As a result, I'm investigating a new set that has a little more sudden stopping power but dont need anything that will send me over the bars...lol

What's the recommendations for MTB brakes here. In terms of budget, reasonable priced or perhaps even top end ones i could search second hand for.

Thanks.

Although I don't own a set, Cura's are always put forward as a good option. I've been running Shimano Zee for a while and find them spot on for my needs (and weight). But servowave isn't for everyone as the modulation is a bit more on/off.

Personally, if I was looking at new brakes I would be tending toward Cura's. Or Hayes Dominion, but they're in a different price bracket!

clickbait, lol. I was expecting a HUGE debate here  :cursing:  :w00t:

Well we could easily do that. 

Just wait for the respective shimano or sram fan bois to tell you how *** the other is.

Then for the smug bastards to arrive to tell you Hope brakes are the best, only for the high horses to tell you Hope is crap and Trickstuff is aCtuAlLy the best.

Of course, you'll also hear that olive oil is better than dot, and something about cures and whatnot. 

Well we could easily do that.

Just wait for the respective shimano or sram fan bois to tell you how *** the other is.

Then for the smug bastards to arrive to tell you Hope brakes are the best, only for the high horses to tell you Hope is crap and Trickstuff is aCtuAlLy the best.

Of course, you'll also hear that olive oil is better than dot, and something about cures and whatnot.

I've got my popcorn ready..

Although I don't own a set, Cura's are always put forward as a good option. I've been running Shimano Zee for a while and find them spot on for my needs (and weight). But servowave isn't for everyone as the modulation is a bit more on/off.

Personally, if I was looking at new brakes I would be tending toward Cura's. Or Hayes Dominion, but they're in a different price bracket!

I've seen the cura's are always there as a good option. I'll put them on the list

I switched to M7000 SLX and could't be happier, cheap and lots of stopping power.

I did the same and could not agree more, Got them on a special through Chainreaction when they still sold Shimano to us.

on a budget(ish) but want good? Curas and TRPs are the way forward. Bit more than SLX but I do think they are worth it. I liked my SLX they served me well but I loved my Curas. I'm still 50/50 on my Hopes and think I might head back to Curas soon. 

I've been using a set of XT's - the silver model and I've never felt that I was out of control - even clocking 85km/h going down Ceder in the one 94.7 as well as a 78km/h going down one of the descents on this years Baviaans  :thumbup:.

I had a set of SLX which also worked great

I once bought a set of Avid 5's - I used them on one ride (50km) and then immediately removed them and sold them on  :whistling:

Anything Shimano from SLX on up. I have 2013 SLX and they are head and shoulders above the Guide Rs on my other bike. Better brakes will never put you over the bars because you get used to the extra power very quickly. Try increasing your rotor size to 200 f and 180 r if you want a significant but cheaper way to upgrade your existing brakes.

I see quite a few XT sets on sale in the classifieds for around R2k. Don't think you can beat them. Even the MT-500 offer great stopping power and are also in the classifieds

Edited by the_bob