Let's Put a Stop to This

AlanD

on a budget(ish) but want good? Curas and TRPs are the way forward. Bit more than SLX but I do think they are worth it. I liked my SLX they served me well but I loved my Curas. I'm still 50/50 on my Hopes and think I might head back to Curas soon.

I had Hope 3 e4 on my list but not sure if thats "i just want something hope" or a genuine contender in the world of stopping power.

I had Hope 3 e4 on my list but not sure if thats "i just want something hope" or a genuine contender in the world of stopping power.

I've had an itch to scratch with them for a while so got some and sold my Curas. Look, they 'feel' great and the modulation is pretty awesome but they do lack a bit of something in the stopping department that I can't quite put my finger on. I guess it does also depends how you ride and how you like your brakes. I think brakes are one of the most personal things on a bike and it's not a case of one thing suits everyone. 

Hope is great but the whole "milled out of one piece of ali" thing is a bit 2005.

You say you want big bite up front. To me that screams SLX, XT, XTR. Some people can't get on with the light lever feel and then sudden bite but I enjoy it. It does take getting used to.

I've got SLX on one of my current bikes and to me they are amazing.

I've had an itch to scratch with them for a while so got some and sold my Curas. Look, they 'feel' great and the modulation is pretty awesome but they do lack a bit of something in the stopping department that I can't quite put my finger on. I guess it does also depends how you ride and how you like your brakes. I think brakes are one of the most personal things on a bike and it's not a case of one thing suits everyone.

That's true, a very personal thing. It's been a while now that I feel the trial 9s are doing it for me in terms of stopping power. Now I'm by no means a skilled rider that needs to stop on a dime cos I'm that good, I just feel there is far too much modulation and would like to have some more power sooner.

I have a set of very good condition TRP Slate G-Spec's I'm going to advertise for R1500 with brand new pads... I think they're great brakes, but upgraded to the heavier duty Quadiem's now for my enduro bike.

I would like to add that the new XT m8120 (and I assume m8100 as well) brakes feel like they have much better modulation than the "old" m8020 and m8000 brakes.

For comparison, I just put a new set of 4-pot 8120s (180mm disks) on my Scott Spark (replaced 2-pot m8000s with same size disks) and I have 4-pot 8020s on my Canyon Strive with 203mm disks and the modulation on the Spark does feel a lot better even with the smaller disks.

Can't speak to raw stopping power differences because of different disk sizes and different tyres (Maxxis Ikons on the Spark and DHR IIs on the Strive) so as expected the Strive stops quicker.

Edited by Jehosefat