Converting to Single Speed

RJClegg

Hey all, 

So, I have recently gotten back into cycling. Bought a MTB off here with the intention of getting fit and doing some trails or off road riding in general. 

The bike is a silverback - hard tail. :) 

So, one of the first things I'd like to do is convert it to a single speed. I think the common setup is 16T rear and 32T front?

Where could I buy the parts required? I see Cycle Lab is of no use and whilst I can order from Chain Reaction Cycles; I'd like to see if I can get the stuff locally first. 

Also, I plan on doing the conversion myself; what sort of tools will I need to remove the rear cogs and the front chain rings? 

Appreciate all the help and info. :D

As for tools, you will need a chain whip and lock ring spanner to remove the cassette.

The rest of the components will be able to be removed using Allen keys.

You may need to remove grips to get the shifters off 

Standard ratio for the highveld is 32-18. You may struggle with 16, unless you have quads the size of treetrunks.

It also depends on terrain you want to ride. 16 probably better for dirt roadie rides, but if you are wanting to do a bit of singletrack with short sharp loose climbs the 16 may not work.

(I'm also not the strongest out there, some peeps run insane ratios. I walk a lot.)

Where in joburg are you based? I am sure someone close can assist you with the tools.

I'm in the West Rand, or Rosebank. Can also assist with the cassette tools.

Appreciate all the offers for help with tools - you guys rock!. I would like to do more to my bike and get back into building / modifying it etc - as I did years ago and thus, it's probably best I get my own set of tools. :P 

As for tools, you will need a chain whip and lock ring spanner to remove the cassette.

The rest of the components will be able to be removed using Allen keys.

You may need to remove grips to get the shifters off 

Standard ratio for the highveld is 32-18. You may struggle with 16, unless you have quads the size of treetrunks.

It also depends on terrain you want to ride. 16 probably better for dirt roadie rides, but if you are wanting to do a bit of singletrack with short sharp loose climbs the 16 may not work.

(I'm also not the strongest out there, some peeps run insane ratios. I walk a lot.)

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful! 

I will grab a 16T and a 18T and try them both out and change as and when I need. I'll also buy a new chain whilst I am at it. 

Try and get a narrow wide chainring for the front as well. Reduces Chaindrop quite a bit.

Also, if you want to forever be changed as a person...

at your own peril:

https://enter.entryninja.com/events/52242-weeaboo-sassc-2019

Narrow-wide chainring? 

Took a look on the site mentioned (https://www.rapide.co.za) and not sure what chainring is suitable to the cranks I have? 

Will get the name of them when I get home this afternoon. 

Will look WeeBoo - but I am too unfit for that lol