Contermanskloof Road Bike Jacking Attempt

milky4130

Hi Silverboy

Did you get a licence plate?

If so pm me, it can be traced

Unfortunately I didn't. In fact it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

Thanks tho.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this alert Milky.

I was the intended target of these a*holes this morning. Luckily I was alert enough to suspect something was going to happen.

I also have to thank the 2 motorists who stopped when I flagged them down. The thugs saw this and drove off.

So thanks to the guy in the Ford Everest and to the couple in the Toyota Fortuner. They were kind enough to drive behind me till I got to a busier section of road.

Well done. Glad that you were not harmed.

Went through this two weeks ago in a little veldt about a km from my home.  Been cycling there for 40 years, got jumped now. :ph34r: The guy hid in some short trees just off an intersection.  I came by at speed, and could not do anything.  By the time he was visible he grabbed my handlebars.  The minute I fell, he started hitting me with a 1.2m stick and was quickly joined by two friends who proceeded to trow big rocks.  I managed to kick ones wind out of him and peppersprayed the other with the stick, but let me tell you, in that instant you forget almost any training, you just react.  Also, be warned, Pepperspray isn't worth much when there is more than one.  It is pretty much just good for blinding a person for a short time to give you time to get away.  With multiple guys, you probably will hit one, and the others will stand a bit out of the way till you run out, which I also found happened pretty quickly.  Only got two good squirts out of it. So was left standing there with an empty canister, still surrounded by three guys.  The peppersprayed dude ended up pulling out a knife, so then I gave in and let them have my phone.  At least they just wanted to get away with something at that point and be done, so left my bike and kit.  I actually wrote a blog post on what I would recommend you do in such a situation from what I learned from this incident.  Go check it out here if you are interested.  I truly hope that the info in it helps even just one of you guys, because the worst part of this is not your physical stuff the guys steal, they steal your peace.  I am now so paranoid, I hardly enjoy cycling now at all because I keep looking over my shoulder.  

Seems like every time there's a bike jacking or attempted bike jacking in the Durbanville area there's this (or a) white bakkie involved. 

And seems three guys are the norm as well.

it seams these days that park riding is the only real safe/worry free option for MTB atleast, albeit limited in terms of options. In CT we have a few nicer options I guess but still.

I've considered just getting a road/gravelbike even and lighting myself up like a x-mas tree and go ride in highly populated streets/areas....but that brings a whole new level of things to worry about I guess.

The other option is investing the time and effort into a trail dog(s)....but something like a Ridgeback...big, imposing and instantly dangerous if required,  but the lungs to run for miles. :ph34r:

They were bred for hunting lions....i think i'm gonna start breeding trail dogs for scouting trails and disposing of skollies :whistling:. Business opportunity. Pretty sure this will count as a service dog lol.

I know it might sound a bit controversial but the only thing that really still seems to scare them are big f@rkoff dogs and/or getting mauled by said dogs. To be honest....if I had a pack of these i'd actually go looking for trouble in hotspots :blush:

PS. I've also been mugged by knifepoint before (3 guys). 'Luckily' not while on the bike.....but in clear daylight surrounded by other people and cars on a sidewalk in the CBD (Grand Parade). Nobody helped

Edited by morneS555

Whithin reason I refuse to curtail my activities more than I already have to accommodate the violence that surrounds us. I am probably going to cycle up red hill alone at some point this weekend. I hope I'm safe and that if I am not that I live to regret my bravado.

I have a mace stuck to my top tube with velcro in case I need to fight. Not for my bike of course.

Sorry to hear about your mugging Morne.

it seams these days that park riding is the only real safe/worry free option for MTB atleast, albeit limited in terms of options. In CT we have a few nicer options I guess but still.

I've considered just getting a road/gravelbike even and lighting myself up like a x-mas tree and go ride in highly populated streets/areas....but that brings a whole new level of things to worry about I guess.

The other option is investing the time and effort into a trail dog(s)....but something like a Ridgeback...big, imposing and instantly dangerous if required,  but the lungs to run for miles. :ph34r:

They were bred for hunting lions....i think i'm gonna start breeding trail dogs for scouting trails and disposing of skollies :whistling:. Business opportunity. Pretty sure this will count as a service dog lol.

I know it might sound a bit controversial but the only thing that really still seems to scare them are big f@rkoff dogs and/or getting mauled by said dogs. To be honest....if I had a pack of these i'd actually go looking for trouble in hotspots :blush:

PS. I've also been mugged by knifepoint before (3 guys). 'Luckily' not while on the bike.....but in clear daylight surrounded by other people and cars on a sidewalk in the CBD (Grand Parade). Nobody helped

Whithin reason I refuse to curtail my activities more than I already have to accommodate the violence that surrounds us. I am probably going to cycle up red hill alone at some point this weekend. I hope I'm safe and that if I am not that I live to regret my bravado.

I have a mace stuck to my top tube with velcro in case I need to fight. Not for my bike of course.

Sorry to hear about your mugging Morne.

nah i'm over it. happened 2 years ago. i'd consider myself relatively street smart in general...and in such saw them coming from about 10-20m away. took those last seconds to mentally prepare lol. SoI just kept calm. They were more freaked out than me in the end.

I guess the unfortunate reality about something like this happening....and referencing what is discussed in other threads ( about possible stolen bikes) and the way we are conditioned to think in certain circumstances due to our own prejudices - the post dramatic stress is a real thing and it can get you in all sorts of trouble.

I went through a few months of luring out confrontation with the avarage persistent begger or car guard or anyone who got to close to my wife while on the way to the car etc....so much so that I got physical with a few... a territorial p1ssing contest about my personal space in public.

the irony about having that aura about you....these same people started avoiding even looking in my direction or asking for anything....probably in resentment with their own prejudices and what they would like to do with me in a different scenario.  it's a vicious cycle imo....and wont get better. we are an inherently violent nation.....i'd go so far in saying the Scandinavians (read ex vikings) don't have anything on us lol....maybe we can one day in 400 years be the same depressed - happy - clappy - SJW they are now. 

Edited by morneS555

This sums up the whole problem.  Nobody helped.  We should become a society of helpers.  The mere fact that they robbed you among others in daylight shows exactly what is wrong here.  Maybe 10 to 15% of our population are bad people, but it seems that the rest are too afraid to step up and show them that we will not tolerate this behavior. Even the police have fallen into this rut.  When I had the cops here, they asked why I wanted to make a case since the phone that was stolen wasn't ensured, even though I looked like I was in an accident from the attack.  Go figure.  We have to start looking out for each other. It is very clear to me that nobody else will.  I totally understand what you meant when you said about being aggressive towards others after your incident.  I find myself in exactly that mind space right now.  But rather than taking it out on others that don't deserve it, channel it into something positive.  I for instance joined my neighborhood watch to break this complacency that I have fallen into.  Maybe my actions can keep others who cannot fend for themselves safer?  Small gestures.

This sums up the whole problem. Nobody helped. We should become a society of helpers. The mere fact that they robbed you among others in daylight shows exactly what is wrong here. Maybe 10 to 15% of our population are bad people, but it seems that the rest are too afraid to step up and show them that we will not tolerate this behavior. Even the police have fallen into this rut. When I had the cops here, they asked why I wanted to make a case since the phone that was stolen wasn't ensured, even though I looked like I was in an accident from the attack. Go figure. We have to start looking out for each other. It is very clear to me that nobody else will. I totally understand what you meant when you said about being aggressive towards others after your incident. I find myself in exactly that mind space right now. But rather than taking it out on others that don't deserve it, channel it into something positive. I for instance joined my neighborhood watch to break this complacency that I have fallen into. Maybe my actions can keep others who cannot fend for themselves safer? Small gestures.

People not helping is a secondary problem. The primary problem is the criminal act.

But you are right, the lack of “community” is a problem, when people are just living in fear they look after themselves though, and it takes a conscious effort to move from self preservation mode to helping your fellow human.

Went through this two weeks ago in a little veldt about a km from my home.  Been cycling there for 40 years, got jumped now. :ph34r: The guy hid in some short trees just off an intersection.  I came by at speed, and could not do anything.  By the time he was visible he grabbed my handlebars.  The minute I fell, he started hitting me with a 1.2m stick and was quickly joined by two friends who proceeded to trow big rocks.  I managed to kick ones wind out of him and peppersprayed the other with the stick, but let me tell you, in that instant you forget almost any training, you just react.  Also, be warned, Pepperspray isn't worth much when there is more than one.  It is pretty much just good for blinding a person for a short time to give you time to get away.  With multiple guys, you probably will hit one, and the others will stand a bit out of the way till you run out, which I also found happened pretty quickly.  Only got two good squirts out of it. So was left standing there with an empty canister, still surrounded by three guys.  The peppersprayed dude ended up pulling out a knife, so then I gave in and let them have my phone.  At least they just wanted to get away with something at that point and be done, so left my bike and kit.  I actually wrote a blog post on what I would recommend you do in such a situation from what I learned from this incident.  Go check it out here if you are interested.  I truly hope that the info in it helps even just one of you guys, because the worst part of this is not your physical stuff the guys steal, they steal your peace.  I am now so paranoid, I hardly enjoy cycling now at all because I keep looking over my shoulder.  

Sorry to hear man.

When using pepper spray, I can highly recommend spraying on the chest. This way the perp breathes it in non stop until the top is removed. I know from experience.

No training can replicate what you go thru at said time, but it should allow you to deal with the situation. Its all about focus, 2 or 3 guys to deal is pretty much hard depending on how good and confident you are. But try and keep them infront of your field of vision.

You did the right thing when the guy pulled a knife. Bunch of sissies always out number someone. 

So you got a good look at them, they should be from worcester as well.........

Thanks guys.  Funny enough, I did end up pepper spraying the same dude twice.  He lifted his shirt to wipe his eyes, and was still within reach, so after a good shake of the canister, he got a good second shot.  That stuff actually burns quite a bit when it comes in contact with your skin.  I know because I got a little blow back on my arm, and had to come wash it off at home.  Yeah, he will remember me too.  I hope he was as uncomfortable that night as I was.  At least he worked hard for that phone he got. :clap: I agree, protect yourself as best you can, but don't be stupid.  If you are outnumbered and they have weapons that can do some serious injury, just let it go.  No use in losing your life over something that probably is insured.

Sorry to hear man.

When using pepper spray, I can highly recommend spraying on the chest. This way the perp breathes it in non stop until the top is removed. I know from experience.

No training can replicate what you go thru at said time, but it should allow you to deal with the situation. Its all about focus, 2 or 3 guys to deal is pretty much hard depending on how good and confident you are. But try and keep them infront of your field of vision.

You did the right thing when the guy pulled a knife. Bunch of sissies always out number someone. 

So you got a good look at them, they should be from worcester as well.........

People not helping is a secondary problem. The primary problem is the criminal act.

But you are right, the lack of “community” is a problem, when people are just living in fear they look after themselves though, and it takes a conscious effort to move from self preservation mode to helping your fellow human.

I really hope that when or if I get into a situation like that I don't become an observer and actually take action and help a fellow person.

I think why criminals have become so brazen lately is because there is a huge emphasis on getting out of sticky situations unscathed and rather give up your possessions and let insurance deal with it.

And probably rightly so too, I am not prepared to die for my phone, but I sure feel inclined to defend myself and my belongings.

However, this becomes a slippery slope.

I have been under the impression for months now that police are completely lethargic to any sort of petty crime and only spring into action when there is a death involved.

How many bike jackings and no arrests are made and yet 30min after a guy gets stabbed to death over his bike in Fisshoek, the guy is caught. It doesn't add up.