Contermanskloof Road Bike Jacking Attempt

milky4130

I really hope that when or if I get into a situation like that I don't become an observer and actually take action and help a fellow person.

I think why criminals have become so brazen lately is because there is a huge emphasis on getting out of sticky situations unscathed and rather give up your possessions and let insurance deal with it.

And probably rightly so too, I am not prepared to die for my phone, but I sure feel inclined to defend myself and my belongings.

However, this becomes a slippery slope.

I have been under the impression for months now that police are completely lethargic to any sort of petty crime and only spring into action when there is a death involved.

How many bike jackings and no arrests are made and yet 30min after a guy gets stabbed to death over his bike in Fisshoek, the guy is caught. It doesn't add up.

This, and the fact that they can turn around and say you assaulted them and then the police end up arresting you!! 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

I have been under the impression for months now that police are completely lethargic to any sort of petty crime and only spring into action when there is a death involved.

How many bike jackings and no arrests are made and yet 30min after a guy gets stabbed to death over his bike in Fisshoek, the guy is caught. It doesn't add up.

in my incident...after all was said and done, i walked into the first store and asked if I can use the phone just to get a phone call out since i was going to be late to where i needed to be....also just to let the wife know - no phone/wallet etc...but i'm ok. They were really helpful/sympathetic to the situation (the shop).

Anyway, couldn't get hold of her so decided to go home, email her and brick the stolen phone over the internet.

After that....I think, ok police station because i need a case number for the stolen stuff and insurance....so the closest one to where we live is Woodstock. I get there and tell the guy what happened literrally 2km down the road from them and that i just need to report it for insurance. He then tells me 'sorry, he can't help me, it is not in their jurisdiction - I need to go to SAPS in CBD as it happened in theirs.' 

I was actually just plain dumbfounded....and left in disbelief. Never reported it in the end.

Luckily i was due for an upgrade anyway.   

in my incident...after all was said and done, i walked into the first store and asked if I can use the phone just to get a phone call out since i was going to be late to where i needed to be....also just to let the wife know - no phone/wallet etc...but i'm ok. They were really helpful/sympathetic to the situation (the shop).

Anyway, couldn't get hold of her so decided to go home, email her and brick the stolen phone over the internet.

After that....I think, ok police station because i need a case number for the stolen stuff and insurance....so the closest one to where we live is Woodstock. I get there and tell the guy what happened literrally 2km down the road from them and that i just need to report it for insurance. He then tells me 'sorry, he can't help me, it is not in their jurisdiction - I need to go to SAPS in CBD as it happened in theirs.' 

I was actually just plain dumbfounded....and left in disbelief. Never reported it in the end.

They don't want the crime on their books because it will make their statistics higher. They want to make it look like they are doing a great job and don't have high crime. That is why the 1st question is always "where did it happen?"

Next time, just tell them you were on their doorstep to report the previous one........and got robbed with your left foot on the Welcome mat. All you want is the number anyway. You don't expect anyone to try and find your bike and catch the robbers. No, they have rights too. The most important of which seems to me the right to rob the next cyclist. 

I was also told that I had to go to a specific police station.  I luckily knew the station chief, and phoned him.  He told me that was a lie.  You can report in any district and they have to help you.  If the cop tells you that the next time, ask for it in writing and include his name.

I think we as the community should start holding these guys to book.  It is because of this never mind attitude that I have to fight off assailants myself.  Isn't this why I pay taxes, so I can live a safe, free life?  Don't know about you, but I don't seem to be all that safe, or free for that matter anymore.  

Edited by Fr3dd13

They don't want the crime on their books because it will make their statistics higher. They want to make it look like they are doing a great job and don't have high crime. That is why the 1st question is always "where did it happen?"

Next time, just tell them you were on their doorstep to report the previous one........and got robbed with your left foot on the Welcome mat. All you want is the number anyway. You don't expect anyone to try and find your bike and catch the robbers. No, they have rights too. The most important of which seems to me the right to rob the next cyclist. 

There is so much wrong inside that statement, from the acceptance of crime and all those reasons, to how we claim from insurance (and possibly even the way some insurance companies work).

The pot water is getting hotter and the little froggie just takes another hot day in africa.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke