Pressfit GXP Bottom Bracket Bearing

AlanD

Hi All,

Done some much needed bike maintenance this weekend and notice the one side bearing of pressfit gxp bottom bracket is a little rough.

As a short term fix, i popped the seal off, cleaned as best a could and added some fresh grease. I know this is not the best as it's not fully cleaned of old grease but it's only short term until I can change it. Dont have the proper tools....yet.

My questions are:

1) Can I remove and replace just the bearing or do I need to press out the cup and replace with a new cup?

2) can I convert pressfit to threaded for ease of maintenance? If so, is it worth it?

I've never had any issues with this pressfit BB and dont want any if I need to replace the cups.

I understand that proper tools will make replacing the cups worth its weight in gold.

Thanks

If youre asking about replacing the actual bearings within the bb cups, then no its not really viable. To knock the bearings out of the cups you need a very specific tool, there is no way youll get them out otherwise. Even then, replacement bearings arent that cheap anyway. By far the best option to just replace the whole bb. Theres specific tools to knock out and press in pf bbs out the bike frame too, but theyre not absolutely required - and also the bike shop will do it in a minute. Its not something you need to do regularly anyway. And lastly, no you cant convert that way around.

Gxp bearing is replaceable but probably at a higher cost than the bb itself. Which gxp bb do you have?

BSA threaded into 73mm bb shell and external bearings

press fit 91?

BB30 /4224?

PF30/4624?

Edited by DieselnDust

Gxp bearing is replaceable but probably at a higher cost than the bb itself. Which gxp bb do you have?

BSA threaded into 73mm bb shell and external bearings

press fit 91?

BB30 /4224?

PF30/4624?

Not exactly sure but its pressfit gxp for SRAM X1 cranks. Says PA+GF on it if that's means anything. It's for a giant trance advanced 2014. Edited by AlanD

ah ok so its a std pressfit 41mm GXP BB. Better to just replace the whole BB. The cups are plastic and easily damaged if you don't have the right tools. The bearings are replaceable if you do have the appropriate tools.

Is it me or is bottom bracket options overly complicated?

I'm struggling to ascertain whats the best option here.The standard SRAM gxp one that I've read is a bit pooh and needs replacing quite often or one of the more expensive ones from Hope, wheels manufacturing...etc...will the more pricey ones last longer and they very expensive? I also need to look at tool.

+1 for Wheels MFG

Great piece of kit. The quality is excellent and after the initial investment, it's inexpensive to pop new bearings in as required

True and then just replace with SKF mtrx bearings

Out with the old, in with the new.

This was by far the easiest and most enjoyable job I've done because of 2 factors:

1) All the right tools

2) Patience and calmness

I usually go in with a little bit of haste and end up getting all worked up and stressed. This time I did it nice and slow and carefully and it was awsome.

Invested in all the right tools which made this a sinch.

post-57045-0-53171300-1570261340_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-99542400-1570261347_thumb.jpg