Hi guys please advise me on these bikes

sizwenduduzow@gmail.com

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody is referring bikes to you, but some have not considered the fact that you have stated that you are a short person.

First thing, before buying a used bike, determine what size bike you need. Then start looking from there.

There are lots of sizing charts that you can Google.

Yip... sizing is absolutely crucial. Do not try fit on to the wrong sized bike

Get your rough sizing and take it from there...

Each brand will also have a guide online as to the size frame you need

Good luck and welcome to the cycling world

Hi Sizwe, where abouts are you located? Also what kind of riding would you be doing on the weekends? Road, mountain biking or sort of a mix of both?

30km per day adds up pretty quick, that's 1000km a month of regular use. Something to keep in mind.

Would be weary on the options you listed, they are well priced but won't be robust or good performers for regular usage. Especially on full suspension bikes with moving parts. Even just starting out, these bikes are really only suited for occasional riding. At 30km per day the maintenance costs will quickly outstrip the value of the bike and actually end up costing you more.

Second hand there are good deals to be had, but you do need to shop around more and be a bit more cautious. Some places do offer a small warranty, but these can be limited and again there can be the question of how far down the line components are with wear. Thus needing replacement which could be an added cost again. Especially on full suss models, and with age the problem can compound as standards/spec change.

Budget is R2000- R5000 which is fair, and there option new options out there which will serve you well in starting out and you will have peace of mind.

Hardtail is the way to go, even fully rigid depending on your type of riding.
Ideally closer to 5k, and budget in for a helmet and lights. Especially for your commuting. 
Titan, GT, Mongoose, Silverback, Merida and Avalanche are brands that immediately stand out. Titan are a good example on sizing bike and rider proportionately according to wheel size. Within reason.

Expect cartridge BB along with cup and cone bearing hubs, which are hard wearing and cost effective on maintenance.

Edited by danger dassie

Hi Sizwe, where abouts are you located? Also what kind of riding would you be doing on the weekends? Road, mountain biking or sort of a mix of both?

30km per day adds up pretty quick, that's 1000km a month of regular use. Something to keep in mind.

Would be weary on the options you listed, they are well priced but won't be robust or good performers for regular usage. Especially on full suspension bikes with moving parts. Even just starting out, these bikes are really only suited for occasional riding. At 30km per day the maintenance costs will quickly outstrip the value of the bike and actually end up costing you more.

Second hand there are good deals to be had, but you do need to shop around more and be a bit more cautious. Some places do offer a small warranty, but these can be limited and again there can be the question of how far down the line components are with wear. Thus needing replacement which could be an added cost again. Especially on full suss models, and with age the problem can compound as standards/spec change.

Budget is R2000- R5000 which is fair, and there option new options out there which will serve you well in starting out and you will have peace of mind.

Hardtail is the way to go, even fully rigid depending on your type of riding.

Ideally closer to 5k, and budget in for a helmet and lights. Especially for your commuting. 

Titan, GT, Mongoose, Silverback, Merida and Avalanche are brands that immediately stand out. Titan are a good example on sizing bike and rider proportionately according to wheel size. Within reason.

Expect cartridge BB along with cup and cone bearing hubs, which are hard wearing and cost effective on maintenance.

Thanks a lot I'm based in centurion monday to friday road and on weekends i'll do both road and mountain biking I'm looking for something agile but mostly it will be raod 

Thanks a lot I'm based in centurion monday to friday road and on weekends i'll do both road and mountain biking I'm looking for something agile but mostly it will be raod 

Find your correct size and be patient .Keep on looking and buy the one that is in good condition and will work for you .That Trek looked really good !.Remember tires are expensive and tubeless is the way to go 

I know a Friend that is selling a S-works Dual suspension 26" bike for R5500, contact me and I can put you in touch, this bike has Fox suspension and Tubeless conversion done.

Thanks Nox1111 how good is the silverback brand can it handle 850KM per month 

as with any other bike - if you maintain it properly it will be a good bike.

The only problem with buying a more expensive secondhand bike is that maintenance - as with all toys - the more expensive the toy, the more expensive the parts.

Not sure if anyone has advised you on a new bike. 

I haven't read why you actually need a 26", but in your price range, you can get a brand new Momsen. 

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/momsen/products/momsen-rx290-2018

as with any other bike - if you maintain it properly it will be a good bike.

The only problem with buying a more expensive secondhand bike is that maintenance - as with all toys - the more expensive the toy, the more expensive the parts.

Thanks nox1111