Commuting with MTB - Is a spare wheelset worth it?

PjT

Hi all,

I recently started commuting to work about 2 days / week, between Somerset West and Stellenbosch.

± 22km of rolling hills - good exercise.

I currently ride it with my MTB Hardtail with dirt tyres, and it is not too much of a hassle.

However, I am pondering to purchase a cheap complete set of wheels (R 1500) and put on some 700c x 35mm tyres for the commute only.

Come weekend, I swap the wheels again for the dirt.

Question is: Is it worth it in terms of:

a) improving rolling resistance on tarmac, and 

b) reducing wear and tear on my dirt tyres?

Yup, just keep in mind that it will not only be a wheelset, you will need a spare casseyte and rotors too. Changing those over too every time is going to make it a pain. Also, if it is a QR wheelset your rotors and cassette won't line up perfectly every time, so in that case not worth it. Thru-axle is easy peasy.

But well worth it, I have two wheelsets for my hardtail which I chop and change between for different types of riding. It's pretty hassle free.

Do you have to set your limit screws and indexing every time you swop wheels?

Yes you have to set the limit screws every time but it's easy when you know how meany turns to give with each wheel. I always swap wheels and this works just fine.

Yes you have to set the limit screws every time but it's easy when you know how meany turns to give with each wheel. I always swap wheels and this works just fine.

If you are lucky, you will be able to swap wheels without any adjustment. If not, with a bit of effort you can get it to work like that. Just experiment with cassettes and spacers, or make whatever is needed to position the cassettes identically. If all else fails, do as Joshua says.

Do you have to set your limit screws and indexing every time you swop wheels?

As mentioned, with thru axel - no. With QR, yes. That's my experience anyway, I don't make any adjustments when I swop between wheelsets.

Wow, thx for all the replies and advice.

Will look for wheelset with as close as possible match ito cassette/rotors etc.

Idea would be to try match all up as close as possible so that it can be "plug and play" without too much tinckering every time.

Current wheels are QR.

Thanks all!

Buy a second hardtail with cheap tyres for commuting and keep the nice bike as a weekend special!!!

Haha!! That is (like the Fiddler on the Roof said) "in the other hand" :-)

Considering getting a cheap HT, put rigid fork in (cheap) and thinner tyres...and violah

Haha!! That is (like the Fiddler on the Roof said) "in the other hand" :-)

Considering getting a cheap HT, put rigid fork in (cheap) and thinner tyres...and violah

Why not just get a road bike then? Much cheaper than a Mountain bike to buy second hand and you get a different type of bike. 

Why not just get a road bike then? Much cheaper than a Mountain bike to buy second hand and you get a different type of bike.

What he says.

You can have an old classic road bike in great condition which will make an excellent commuter for as little as R3 - 4000. If you want to clean up and repair it yourself, perhaps as low as R1500? It will be reliable, but unattractive to thieves. Look for old SA made names like Alpina, Lejeune, Hansom, Peaugeot etc. Also, you will get your money back when you sell it. Even make a profit.

You can have an old classic road bike in great condition which will make an excellent commuter for as little as R3 - 4000. If you want to clean up and repair it yourself, perhaps as low as R1500? It will be reliable, but unattractive to thieves. Look for old SA made names like Alpina, Lejeune, Hansom, Peaugeot etc. Also, you will get your money back when you sell it. Even make a profit.

or something like this ... then upgrade the tires to tubeless .. 40C or 45C

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-road-bikes/bellville/gravel-bike/1005599140350910786180909

Tubeless is a blessing when commuting. ;)

We are diverging from the OP's question (it is Friday after all) but it would be interesting to see how many hub commuters use road bikes vs mtbs. I commute with my road bike every now and then but I generally prefer the reliance and versatility of my old mtb. No punctures, no problem when the traffic forces you into pieces of glass or other obstacles & easy to hop on & off the pavement when necessary. Guess it depends on route & personal preference