Thaba Trails XCO

thebob

I'm not stranger to Thaba Trails. I love the techy trails and the challenging climbs and descents. But today I discovered hell on the XCO course. I did just short of 30km on the main loop and decided to try for an even 30km by doing the XCO track. Man it is a challenge. Super steep and punchy climbs, ridiculous downhills and some nasty switchbacks. Respect to the XC racers who smash laps on that course for fun!

I'm not stranger to Thaba Trails. I love the techy trails and the challenging climbs and descents. But today I discovered hell on the XCO course. I did just short of 30km on the main loop and decided to try for an even 30km by doing the XCO track. Man it is a challenge. Super steep and punchy climbs, ridiculous downhills and some nasty switchbacks. Respect to the XC racers who smash laps on that course for fun!

It only becomes fun after a few practice sessions. For me it took months to get comfortable on the track. Still too scared of some of those A lines... Definitely awesome track.

The African Continental champs will be there in April. Worth going for it.

Yet to ride there. How does it compare with wolwespruit technical bits or buffelsdrift?

Buffelsdrift does not have anything like Thaba xco track.

The A-lines are true skills tests. Best to walk them first, or be very confident on the bike.

I run there quite a bit and some of those sections seem impossible to me. 10 out 10 would lose teeth