Northern Farm MTB death

Danib36

I have loved riding in northern farms, having ridden there a number of times. Today I rode the red route with my son and friends with their children. We came across a lady who while riding with her father, had collapsed and fallen. She was unconscious, and then began fitting. We called the Northern Farms phone number, and after being given various other numbers that we were told to call, we were told someone would come. We advised who ever answered the call that we needed medical assistance. For over an hour and a half, following many calls (we also called Netcare, they also said they would send assistance to Northern Farms), a farm worker came with a farm tractor and a trailer. We dragged this poor girl on the burning hot surface of the dirty farm trailer, and watched as the father tried to keep hold of his fitting daughter as the trailer bumped away. We left their bikes in the bush and rode the 10km back to the car parking area. I had the fathers back pack with their keys in, so on my return to the beginning of the trail, went to find the father and his daughter. I was directed to the entrance of the farm where we pay, to find Netcare working on the girl, giving CPR and chest compressions. She was dead! She died on the back of that dirty farm trailer. My advice is that if you intend to ride northern farms, and you even fall, maybe you will have a broken leg or worse. Be prepared, no one will be coming to get you out. I do appreciate that we all ride at our own risk, but surely Northern Farm should have a better way to deal with us. A 4x4 with some medical equipment and stretcher. This poor girl didn’t need to die.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's terrible. I'm surprised NF doesn't have better emergency plans than just a tractor and trailer...

Wow, what an awefull experience.

In my opinion if you charging a fee to use your facilities then some sort of medical backup should be mandatory.

RIP to the rider.

But if you're on one of the better medical aids, they'll ship a helicopter if it's warranted... Would likely have saved a life here.

But a very poor show on the part of NF management. Not sure any other places would have done any better though.

Nomola. Keep your medical emergency contact number readily available.

Tragic; especially since medical support was horribly lacking! No doubt the road works from Cedar road would have delayed the medics somewhat.

RIP cyclist.

Strength to the family.

NF have promised for years to improve their evacuation strategy. This might be their motivating factor

RIP rider. Similar experience a few years ago there. Took my wife out for her first real ride, 3 ladies ahead of us came down hard on the first downhill. I rode back to the office for help but was told to call Netcare. They inturn didn't know or couldn't find Northern Farms. I had to direct them and try and get the GPS coordinates off my Garmin for them

That is a tragedy for the family and a horrible experience for you. Rip rider.

I hope someone takes heed and there is some investigation as to the issues from all sides that culminated in the loss of a life.

It is worth always taking note of your nearest rescue service guys. Even if you are in a metro area you can't always expect a normal ambulance to get you.

I have mentioned it before on other threads. The Mountain Club of South Africa are great if you are in the mountains and need rescue, but they have affiliates there are other rescue groups such as the offroad rescue unit. These are dedicated people who get the job done.

I take my hat off to all involved in these services. 

https://orru.co.za/emergency-contacts/

Condolences to the friends and family.

Wow, what an awefull experience.

In my opinion if you charging a fee to use your facilities then some sort of medical backup should be mandatory.

RIP to the rider.

None of the pay places we ride have standby medical care .They need to have a plan for emergencies thou