Bottelary Hills MTB Tick problem

Rouyf

Just want to inform that if you are going to ride the route look out for ticks / Just want to inform that if you are going to ride the route look out for ticks / bosluise. The Green route used by many riders have plenty of ticks. I recently rode the green route from Zevenwacht side ,took ticks of at Mongoose track and at home. Somehow one got off and I found it on my kid this morning. Very upset about this.

Wish Bottelary Hills would spray AND cut. Problem does not become

Plenty of ticks at the moment. Rode there this weekend and had to stop several times to remove dozens of them at every given time. Hate those buggers.

Not to be outdone, Meerendal seems to have a resident tick nest up at the top of Dorstberg by the rock in front of the bench. 

Wees wakker. Tick bite fever is nasty.

Its not only Bottelary or Meerendal - seems that tick season is particularly bad this year (also according to vets). 

I took the hound up G-spot the week before last, and before coming down, spotted a tick...and proceeded to take 12 ticks off there and then!  Bombed down, took the hound home, where we took another 8 ticks off her, and one off the top of my sock...who knows how many disembarked in the car...

Tick bite fever is nasty for humans, but can very quickly be fatal for hounds...so please please please ensure that their protection is up to date!

This may be a stupid question ....

Will Tabard or similar repellent discourage ticks from feasting on mamils?

Edit - A quick google suggests yes

Edited by Mamil

Good to know, doing the STBB event this upcoming weekend which takes place on the Bottelary trails

I reckon a quick dip in the dam while crossing the floating bridge will wash them off... :whistling:

Edit:  was meant to be in response to Rudii's post...

Edited by dannygirl

Add Tokai and Table mountain to that list. Last ride I made a collection of 8 or the blood suckers and those trails have hardly any plants to some into contact with. Walked the dogs from the Nek on the weekend and am still finding one or two that have evaded detection. Jeez, the retriever puppy came back looking a like a Dalmatian. 

You guys are riding too slowly if the ticks can catch you  :ph34r:

DEET - it slows them down but doesn't work 100%

This being my local trail, it is a concern yes, but nothing new though. What do you guys use on your fur kids ito tick protection? I use Bravecto but am concerned that this might be more harmful to my rotties in the long run if you read up on how Bravecto actually works - im not saying its related, but my second rottie is in the final stages of her life as a result of cancer, so looking at healthier alternatives is becoming quite an issue for me.

If theres a dip nearby maybe that would be a healthier alternative?

Any thoughts hubbers?

Going to be there too -- definitely going to generously apply to my legs and arms.

Good to know, doing the STBB event this upcoming weekend which takes place on the Bottelary trails

Paraffin also works,

but surely caring is sharing the poor oke need blood as they are part of the circle of life... Guinea Fowl eat blood rich ticks - Rooi Kat eats Fowl - without blood the tick is not rich in iron...  

Only bad in spring all will be cool again in Desember...

Edited by Erasmus

This being my local trail, it is a concern yes, but nothing new though. What do you guys use on your fur kids ito tick protection? I use Bravecto but am concerned that this might be more harmful to my rotties in the long run if you read up on how Bravecto actually works - im not saying its related, but my second rottie is in the final stages of her life as a result of cancer, so looking at healthier alternatives is becoming quite an issue for me.

If theres a dip nearby maybe that would be a healthier alternative?

Any thoughts hubbers?

I used to use Nexguard and Bravecto, as the goldy is in and out of water daily, so I needed something that could be ingested (rather than applied). 

It seemed to do the trick in terms of protection (although I'm not sure about possible long-term effects).  However, contrary to what apparently everybody else experiences, my hound HATES it, and it is always a battle getting it down. 

Mentioned this to the vet-shop the previous time, and they suggested that I give Simparica a try.  Dog loved it, and according to Google, it may even have advantages over Nexguard and Bravecto...

Just want to inform that if you are going to ride the route look out for ticks / Just want to inform that if you are going to ride the route look out for ticks / bosluise. The Green route used by many riders have plenty of ticks. I recently rode the green route from Zevenwacht side ,took ticks of at Mongoose track and at home. Somehow one got off and I found it on my kid this morning. Very upset about this.

Wish Bottelary Hills would spray AND cut. Problem does not become

Just that time of the year. I have had 11 and counting on me in the last few weeks. We ride out in the bush - just check yourself after you ride, we seriously cannot expect farm owners to sort that out for us. All the ticks I have found on me have just hung onto some leg hair, none have bitten me yet.

Just that time of the year. I have had 11 and counting on me in the last few weeks. We ride out in the bush - just check yourself after you ride, we seriously cannot expect farm owners to sort that out for us. All the ticks I have found on me have just hung onto some leg hair, none have bitten me yet.

I'll have to let mine grow then, it seems... :whistling: