My Calculus Munga Bike Built

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see guys have a hack for these racks overseas. Gives you a front and rear tray, but most wont like it.

let me find a pic

yes this is the system I used - but take note - add cable-ties - the screws vibrated out on both long rides

Nyloc nuts on anything rattling. Don't think you get bolt options, so then you need loctite

ok, I cant find it. But it was a simple very inexpensive rack. You basically take 2 sticks, I suppose bamboo, not sure what thickness.

Take the one stick from the left of the seatpost across the top tube and pass the right of the headset. Do the opposite with the other one. Cable tie them together as well as the ends. Have enough overlap front and rear for bags etc and dont forget to tie to the top tube as well. 

now just get a proper fitting frame bag for that custom masterpiece  :ph34r:

Oveja Negra makes custom bags but pretty sure the XL will fit that beasts triangle. they have templates on their site.

they also makes direct mount stuff if you prefer...beter quality and color options than Apidura too (in my opinion of course). 

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com

I got mine though these guys. they special ordered me the frame bag from the US and had it at my door within 2 weeks....great bunch.

https://gravelandtour.co.za

i use the L on my XL frame.

since I started using frame bags i actually cant believe i ever used a bag on my back lol. they areon there permanently. 

Also makes for great convo's at races with the 'laymen' tuning you that you "ride an e-bike and that those are the batteries and the dropper cable is where the motor goes in" :lol:  

Does that system need a mounting plate to move the bottles up?

It uses the wolf tool brad. In this case the 4x so I can mount toilet paper at bottom

assuming something in these lines:

60kg rider / 15kg Bike and Gear / 100 watts / Non-Dynamo Hub = 24.34km/h.

Most efficient hub: off – 24.29km/h (0.5w extra drag) +0.2%

Least efficient hub: off – 23.94km/h (4.0w extra drag) +1.6%

Most efficient hub: on – 23.82km/h (5.25w extra drag) +2.1%

Least efficient hub: on – 23.71km/h (6.25w extra drag) +2.6%

60kg rider / 30kg bike and gear / 100 watts. Non-Dynamo Hub = 23.83km/h.

Most efficient hub: off – 23.78km/h (0.5w extra drag) +0.2%

Least efficient hub: off – 23.42km/h (4.0w extra drag) +1.7%

Most efficient hub: on – 23.29km/h (5.25w extra drag) +2.3%

Least efficient hub: on – 23.19km/h (6.25w extra drag) +2.7%

80kg rider / 15kg bike and gear / 150 watts. Non-Dynamo Hub = 27.96km/h.

Most efficient hub: off – 27.92km/h (0.6w extra drag) +0.1%

Least efficient hub: off – 27.60km/h (4.75w extra drag) +1.3%

Most efficient hub: on – 27.53km/h (5.75w extra drag) +1.5%

Least efficient hub: on – 27.46km/h (6.60w extra drag) +1.8%

80kg rider / 30kg bike and gear / 150 watts. Non-Dynamo Hub = 27.51km/h

Most efficient hub: off – 27.47km/h (0.6w extra drag) +0.2%

Least efficient hub: off – 27.15km/h (4.75w extra drag) +1.3%

Most efficient hub: on – 27.07km/h (5.75w extra drag) +1.6%

Least efficient hub: on – 27.01km/h (6.60w extra drag) +1.8%

The Effect On Your Riding Time

Using the speed data, we can work out how drag translates in terms of time:

– The most efficient dynamo hubs when switched OFF add between 17 and 30 seconds to a flat ride over 100km when compared to a regular hub.

– The most efficient dynamo hubs when switched ON add between 3min 24sec and 5min 47sec to a flat ride over 100km when compared to a regular hub.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-hub-drag-lab-testing/

4 minutes over 100km vs not changing batteries while sleep deprived, cold, tired hungry etc....

I have seen some of my team mates take 4 minutes plus change to stop, take off pack, change battery and get going again.

It's a personal thing but I don't go anywhere without my dynamo on these sorts of things.

That being said, some of the big batteries will comfortably run a light for 2 full nights if you manage the power. That should be more than enough to get you home if you are at the sharp end of the field and care about 4min/100km.....

4 minutes over 100km vs not changing batteries while sleep deprived, cold, tired hungry etc....

I have seen some of my team mates take 4 minutes plus change to stop, take off pack, change battery and get going again.

It's a personal thing but I don't go anywhere without my dynamo on these sorts of things.

That being said, some of the big batteries will comfortably run a light for 2 full nights if you manage the power. That should be more than enough to get you home if you are at the sharp end of the field and care about 4min/100km.....

* read 4min/100km on the most efficient hub lol. x11? thats almost 1hr more over the munga just on drag.

but i get it. Then if you have a power bank light...you get 20k+ mah batteries LiPo these days that weigh less than a can of coke

Edited by morneS555

yes this is the system I used - but take note - add cable-ties - the screws vibrated out on both long rides

a Small bit of Loctite works great for me.

Hi All.

Its always great to see a plan come together on these projects.

Designing for the MUNGA is always fun as its such a unique race and every rider has their own recipe for what they want from their bike.

With this one we indeed pushed a new boundary for in-frame hydration with space for five bottles and the "mullet" design.

Not easy (and had to compromise some branding space ;-) but happy to do it in the name of applied sciences).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B25-ePVHydU/

Let us know if you have any more Q about the design.

Thanks for all the comments and happy riding!

Good Q,

Mostly to keep rider fresh and isolated from the RSA corrugations.  This way we get 80% of the advantage of a dual in a HT chassis.

This bike can also take a 29er, so there is the flexibility to change to a different wheel based on the ride.

Why the mullet ?

Is it to get fatter rubber under the ar$e, or is there another reason ?

i got a question on those side bottles on the down tube.....

do the legs/knees ever knock them?

did you consider fork mounted bottles like tourers do?