My Calculus Munga Bike Built

Hi, yes we considered the fork mounted option, but for gravel/off road its a terrible place to add weight with increase in un-sprung weight of the front wheel, poor handling and lot of unnecessary stress on the fork.

Since we know the exact measurement of the rider the side bottles are moved quite high up on the down tube and out of the way of the riders knees.

GM will have to comment on how they feel in a full-speed sprint...

i got a question on those side bottles on the down tube.....

do the legs/knees ever knock them?

did you consider fork mounted bottles like tourers do?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, yes we considered the fork mounted option, but for gravel/off road its a terrible place to add weight with increase in un-sprung weight of the front wheel, poor handling and lot of unnecessary stress on the fork.

Since we know the exact measurement of the rider the side bottles are moved quite high up on the down tube and out of the way of the riders knees.

GM will have to comment on how they feel in a full-speed sprint...

I'm no kinematics expert, but am suprised that shifting an extra 1.5kg makes a big difference in the whole package of 70kg+.

btw, i needed to increase my water carrying capacity last year last minute.

went with a 1.5l coke bottle, and as i have a metal bottle cake it worked just fine, with a bit of bungy cord round the neck

otherwise there's the Zefal magnum, 1l http://www.zefal.com/en/bottles-sport/182-magnum.html

Hi GM, Welcome to the HUB! 

That's a very nice bike indeed, I hope it serves you well.

Now you need to get the High Altitude, High Intensity Interval training in, and if you feel like an extra 600 meter of altitude come up the mountain. 

Amazing what a bit of bungy cord can help with.

Good Principal to keep in mind is F=MxA with force being not only a function of the mass, but also acceleration.  With the front wheel moving a lot more up-and down than the main triangle the bosses/strap-on keeping those bottles in place has to work a lot harder.

Hence its an option to have it on a touring bike where you are less likely to have 150km of un-interrupted sinkplaat.  

Just an engineering preference IMHO.

I'm no kinematics expert, but am suprised that shifting an extra 1.5kg makes a big difference in the whole package of 70kg+.

btw, i needed to increase my water carrying capacity last year last minute.

went with a 1.5l coke bottle, and as i have a metal bottle cake it worked just fine, with a bit of bungy cord round the neck

otherwise there's the Zefal magnum, 1l http://www.zefal.com/en/bottles-sport/182-magnum.html

Interesting build. Some great things. Will be doing my first Munga this year. 

Have my extra bottles on the front fork. Works for me but I have 34 fox up there. :)

But another engineering principle, not principal ????, is momentum and inertia which leads to damping...and the fork exhibits some of that already, some extra mass might dampen further?

Amazing what a bit of bungy cord can help with.

Good Principal to keep in mind is F=MxA with force being not only a function of the mass, but also acceleration. With the front wheel moving a lot more up-and down than the main triangle the bosses/strap-on keeping those bottles in place has to work a lot harder.

Hence its an option to have it on a touring bike where you are less likely to have 150km of un-interrupted sinkplaat.

Just an engineering preference IMHO.

But another engineering principle, not principal , is momentum and inertia which leads to damping...and the fork exhibits some of that already, some extra mass might dampen further?

The main advantage of this fork and damper is the speed of the rebound on the corrugations. The un-sprung weight needs to be as low as possible, with as much of the weight as possible near the centre of the frame where the accelerations due to corrugations are smallest. F=MxA

Edited by The Guy in Pink