DIY 3D printed handlebar mount

duanelr

Hi there hubbers, 

I need your creativity and ideas. 

I'm in the early brainstorming phases of a handle bar mount that I want to design and 3D print. This is for a small project I'm doing for myself.

Basically the handle bar mount will hold a lightweight optical device. The mount will not be used during riding, only for bike setup purposes. So the mount needs to be able to be attached and removed from any size bar several times, preferably without any tools. Also the mount will have to be rigid and precise, as I require a perfect 90deg angle with the handle bar and mount (so no play).

I've google a few examples, but was wondering if anyone has any clever designs or ideas ?

I've got a 3D package that I will design the mount on, and then 3D print it. 

Currently 3D printing is (in my mind) the quickest way to get a prototype going. But by the time the design is sorted I might look to machining the mounts. Once again if there is a cheaper option available that would allow to make more of the mounts in less time for less money then please do share. 

TIA

post-14753-0-58957200-1570529830_thumb.jpeg

post-14753-0-16846800-1570529838_thumb.jpeg

post-14753-0-97880300-1570529844_thumb.jpeg

post-14753-0-62684400-1570529853_thumb.jpeg

post-14753-0-28353500-1570529861_thumb.jpeg

post-14753-0-46610600-1570529869_thumb.jpeg

Edited by duanelr

I would use the Extreme Light mount (first photo) as in my head it will be the quickest to fasten to the bar. I would even go as far as to purchase the mount from them and then only change the top bit to fix the optical device. You can literally take it apart and only print the top half  :thumbup:

Snip

Do you want something like a theodolite base that can clamp to your bars, then mount a laser?

yup, pretty much

I would use the Extreme Light mount (first photo) as in my head it will be the quickest to fasten to the bar. I would even go as far as to purchase the mount from them and then only change the top bit to fix the optical device. You can literally take it apart and only print the top half  :thumbup:

Good suggestion this

Sounds interesting! 

90° to what exactly?

Will the device need to be taken on and off the same bike or multiple bikes?

Roberts idea to use the Extreme lights mount is the best idea. Its incredibly well made and you won't touch it in terms of price. 3D print the rest to fit on that?

Edited by Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If it is not for riding with why not just a heavy duty spring clamp with grippy rubber feet to prevent slipping. Is the equipment too heavy for this?