Upgrade to SRAM NX Eagle?

NeverNotRolling

Hi all,

Most of the bikes I'm looking at comes with SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed. How do you guys fair with the NX groupset? Should I I upgrade when buying the bike and trade in the NX for a GX, or am I majoring in the minors here?

Edited by Serg

Went from a XT 11sp to a NX Eagle at the beginning of the year and it hasn't missed a heartbeat. There are threads around with some issues but honestly it's been as reliable and decent shifting as my old XT. Haven't had to do a thing to it apart from wipe it down and get the muck off the chain. 

The shifter is a bit more plastic feeling, you can't multishift like the shimano stuff and the chain seems to get surface rust pretty easily but for the price I got from CRC delivered inc 165 cranks it's been great. Full fit and forget, wide range, 12 speed for under R4k.

wonder if they updated the SX (nx oem) to address the exploding rear derailleurs ? 

nx to gx isnt a straight upgrade unless you keep the nx cassette. gx is XD only....where NX uses shimano freebody so theres that too.

also consider leaving the nx casette on there and getting XT or even slx 12 speed derailleur and XT shifter at about 2.5k total. XT trumps GX imo and the shifter wil be infinitely better too.  id put GX on par with SLX. NX is more like Deore. 

Edit2: you can of course also leave the nx cassette and just upgrade to gx rear mech and shifter.

Edited by morneS555

I have two bikes, both 2016 (Specialized Camber and Stumpjumper). One of the bikes came with an X01 cassette/derailleur/chain/shifter/etc. and the other came with a Shimano 2x10 system.

I replaced with X01 system with a GX Eagle - it has been AWESOME. This bike has an XD hub on the rear wheel, so it was possible to do a simple GX Eagle upgrade. Haven't looked back. I've put 2900 km on this bike, everything still works beautifully - and this is after multiple knocks. The LBS says the chain is in excellent condition.

The Shimano-based bike (Stumpy) had a Shimano hub on the rear - so it was incompatible with the GX Eagle cassette. I swapped out the Shimano system (which was nearly brand new) with an NX Eagle shifter/derailleur/cassette, which I got on special from CWC for R 3600 I think. That too has been AMAZING, a significant upgrade over the Shimano system the bike came with. The Shimano derailleur says "XT" on it and the shifter says "SLX" on it. 

I love SRAM. SRAM RAWKS.

There's almost no difference in shifting feeling between the NX Eagle and GX Eagle imo. Both are awesome systems (and you can mix and match components). I love riding both of them.

Edited by aquaratza

Hi all,

Most of the bikes I'm looking at comes with SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed. How do you guys fair with the NX groupset? Should I I upgrade when buying the bike and trade in the NX for a GX, or am I majoring in the minors here?

I ride both NX eagle and XO1 Eagle and really can't complain about the NX performance at all other than the XO1 freehub engaging a fraction quicker. Shifter feel on the NX is great. If you are not a weight weenie then I don't see a problem with NX. NX groupset (with the crank) is something like R6.5K VS R20K for the XO1 (without a crank). I would rather save the bucks and go for a nice holiday in Mauritius.

Disclaimer: I have read online that some okes hate NX for some reason, but I personally have not had issues at all.

Here's my take on NX Eagle: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/review-sram-nx-eagle-r7837

If you do choose to upgrade, consider simply changing to the GX cassette with a compatible XD freehub for your rear hub. That way you get the smaller 10 tooth cog (vs NX Eagle's 11 tooth) and save around 150 grams. Everything else is pretty much the same, so little need to buy the full GX groupset.

I've been on SRAM for over 10 years. None of the products has missed a beat. Lots of flack with some brakes which is now largely sorted and the current crop of brakes is superb and reliable. Sram reacts to any production issues quickly too.

the drive trains have always been superb. I ride XX1 but I can't feel a major difference to NX. Yes the lever texture is different but the shift is familiar, crisp and precise.

I would not fret having NX on the bike. When it wears out you will likely want to get GX or XO1 (which lasts forever)

Now how would the NX 11-50 and the Sunrace 11-50 12 speed cassettes compare for someone on a shimano freehub?

Still undecided whether to go with the new 12 speed XT/SLX or GX/NX for the shifting

Still undecided whether to go with the new 12 speed XT/SLX or GX/NX for the shifting

New XT is fantastic, I've got it on both of my MTBs. The multi-shift functionality is something I would absolutely hate to give up and all my shifting has been amazingly smooth (I've got the XT cassette and chainring as well).

If you are doing the whole upgrade thing and can afford it, I would definitely recommend getting the m8100 brakes as well. Much better modulation than the m8000s in my experience.

Now how would the NX 11-50 and the Sunrace 11-50 12 speed cassettes compare for someone on a shimano freehub?

The decision on the shifting is likely going to be decided on which ergonomics suits you better. I prefer the SRAM lever style, shape and feel. I've never been a fan of the Shimano trigger, hence I only switched to the their shifters when they introduced the flippy shifters. I ditched Shimano when they ditched flippy shifting and went straight back to gripshift.

A lot of "feel " decisions are taken on the shop floor before the bike is ridden. Shifters aren't used while standing still. They're dynamic components and need to be evaluated under pressure for shifting a gear.