Sram Level Ultimate vs Shimano XTR

AllAboutRides

Hi Hubbers -

Can anyone give me the difference in braking between these 2 ???

I assume both is very light but when it comes to braking power, which one is better option and why??

How do they compare to each other on muddy and wet terrain???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently ride the Sram Level Ultimates, was riding XTR before.

XTR was hands down the better of the two.

I find the Srams squishy and inconsistent even after serving and being checked by the bike mechanics at multiple shops.

I have never had a good experience with any Sram brakes.

Next upgrade for me is brakes back to the XTR.

I find the Srams squishy and inconsistent even after serving and being checked by the bike mechanics at multiple shops.

Ditto my experience.

My current bike also came with Sram Level TLM and previous bike XTR M9000.

XTR way better. I'd say XT brakes are even better than SRAMs top end brakes

Many thanks! What rotors ad size would you recommend ?

Hi Hubbers -

I assume both is very light but when it comes to braking power, which one is better option and why??

I have a different experience from all the above. Changed from M9000 to Level ult. XTR were either on or off and felt the lever was a bit wonky but believe that was addressed with the m9100.

Level's modulate nicely and the lever feel is much better. 

Everyone has personal preference, you won't know until you try yourself.

I have a different experience from all the above. Changed from M9000 to Level ult. XTR were either on or off and felt the lever was a bit wonky but believe that was addressed with the m9100.

Comparison in weight?

Comparison in weight?

To be completely honest, I didn't weigh the setups but I'm google should help you there. 

Another bonus is if you running sram brakes and shifters you can make use of the matchmaker to clean up the look of your bars.

Another bonus is if you running sram brakes and shifters you can make use of the matchmaker to clean up the look of your bars.

I'd hardly call that a bonus seeing as Shimano has that option by default with i-spec...

I think the whole SRAM / Shimano brake preference is dictated mainly by what people start out riding. Personally I think Shimano make awful brakes, but they're so in charge of the low to mid range OEM market that most people start on them.

Levels have a fair bit more power and modulation than the XTR - and you can get spares if the piston seizes or you crash and break a lever blade. Shimano just feel sharper because all the power comes on at the beginning of the lever stroke.

The problem is the difference between the two is so big that you can't just fit the other one to see how it feels - you've actually got to ride both pretty extensively before you can work out which one you prefer, so people just tend to stick with what they know.

(That said, I know people who have been through the whole process properly and still like Shimano, so maybe I'm just weird.)

Snip

(That said, I know people who have been through the whole process properly and still like Shimano, so maybe I'm just weird.)

You are quite weird....

But we like you that way????

Edited by morneS555

I think the whole SRAM / Shimano brake preference is dictated mainly by what people start out riding. Personally I think Shimano make awful brakes, but they're so in charge of the low to mid range OEM market that most people start on them.

Levels have a fair bit more power and modulation than the XTR - and you can get spares if the piston seizes or you crash and break a lever blade. Shimano just feel sharper because all the power comes on at the beginning of the lever stroke.

The problem is the difference between the two is so big that you can't just fit the other one to see how it feels - you've actually got to ride both pretty extensively before you can work out which one you prefer, so people just tend to stick with what they know.

what he said 

Hi Hubbers -

if you want brakes that are better than both and much lighter than both, Trickstuff.  Not cheap, not even in the same hemisphere as cheap.

I like my level ultimates, I love my TS piccolas

I've not tried the m9100s (or 9000s for that matter) but the modulation of the m8100s is much better than the m8000s in my experience so I assume the m9100s will be similar