Gravelking Panaracer

Jonesy

Thinking of getting a set of these in 35mm. (The smoother version with a tread pattern that looks like a file). However I've seen conflicting reviews on puncture resistance and durability. Would appreciate some feedback from those that are familiar with these tyres please, as my decision will lean heavily on it. TIA

post-68506-0-31444000-1570638204_thumb.jpg

Thinking of getting a set of these in 35mm. (The smoother version with a tread pattern that looks like a file). However I've seen conflicting reviews on puncture resistance and durability. Would appreciate some feedback from those that are familiar with these tyres please, as my decision will lean heavily on it. TIA

Love them. No punctures yet (a spray of sealant on Sunday aside) in what must be heading for 2 000km of mixed tar and gravel riding, including a whole lot of Constantiaberg mast ascents. The big volume is awesome on the road. Offroad, more capable than they look.

I have 40mm Gravelkings and only ridden 700km on them. Never seen the sealant having to do its job and they are very good off road - grip on tar is incredible but rolling resistance is not great.

Bike does a 2km daily commute plus swartberg granfondo, LAingsburg Karoo ride (can't remember its name off hand), amarider 100 miler and an occasional sprint around Koeberg which it loves.

If I can throw a spanner in the works, I have Spez pathfinder 35mm. They have a smooth ridge in the middle, so rolling resistance on tar is non existing, but lekker grippy in the side. Mine have done over 1000km and they look like new and no punctures.

PS, I am not a spez fan, but these tires are really good.

Might as well add my 5c depending on end use - I have the Farr gravel tyres - bit heavy but roll great on tar and reasonable to loose gravel - strong sidewalls. Not good in the wet but otherwise great product

Am also shopping around for new tyres to replace my stock X'plor 38's because I would like to go tubeless in the near future and am looking at the Farr's or Gravel Kings - I do mostly tar 90% of the time.  

Decisions decisions  :)

I have 40mm Gravelkings and only ridden 700km on them. Never seen the sealant having to do its job and they are very good off road - grip on tar is incredible but rolling resistance is not great.

Bike does a 2km daily commute plus swartberg granfondo, LAingsburg Karoo ride (can't remember its name off hand), amarider 100 miler and an occasional sprint around Koeberg which it loves.

Haven't had a problem with the rolling resistance, to be honest. Also on the 40s. Plenty fast enough for some local roadie KOMs, even with gravel bike gearing. Not as fast as a slick 25mm, but then also not nearly as fun, and my perception is the 'lack of speed' is more than made up for by the ability to roll through rough and broken tar surfaces without bouncing all over the show. Their only real drawback is probably the weight compared to a pure road tyre - they don't spin up as quick, so you won't win many sprints if that is your thing.

That surprises me? Your experience with the panas on tar... they do feel sliggish to me and immediately lively fast as soon as they hit tje gravel.

Must qualify my comments... i don't have a lot of experience with gravel tyres having only ridden the oems that were on the bike.

Haven't had a problem with the rolling resistance, to be honest. Also on the 40s. Plenty fast enough for some local roadie KOMs, even with gravel bike gearing. Not as fast as a slick 25mm, but then also not nearly as fun, and my perception is the 'lack of speed' is more than made up for by the ability to roll through rough and broken tar surfaces without bouncing all over the show. Their only real drawback is probably the weight compared to a pure road tyre - they don't spin up as quick, so you won't win many sprints if that is your thing.

That surprises me? Your experience with the panas on tar... they do feel sliggish to me and immediately lively fast as soon as they hit tje gravel.

Must qualify my comments... i don't have a lot of experience with gravel tyres having only ridden the oems that were on the bike.

I ride them as my road tyres, use the Gravelking SK as my dirt tyres (when I am not too lazy to swap them out). And I really don't miss the squirreliness of the skinny rubber. The comfort (and with comfort comes speed) is so superior, except for full-blown sprints. In my experience anyway. I ride them a little soft on the road, 50psi/3.5bar not the full 60, which I find too harsh. The softer pressure rolls a whole lot better, too.

There is mounting evidence that bigger volume/lower pressure is more efficient on all but the smoothest of tar, anyway, even if it goes against everything we learnt starting out. Not too long a go (ok a long time ago, in the 80s) we rode 18mm on the road, at 120+psi, because it was faster. The old guys in the club said so.

Off-road - you must try them in the mud. Next-level skills development.

Love them. No punctures yet (a spray of sealant on Sunday aside) in what must be heading for 2 000km of mixed tar and gravel riding, including a whole lot of Constantiaberg mast ascents. The big volume is awesome on the road. Offroad, more capable than they look.

Thanks for the input. I find your experiences very interesting.

I ride them as my road tyres, use the Gravelking SK as my dirt tyres (when I am not too lazy to swap them out). And I really don't miss the squirreliness of the skinny rubber. The comfort (and with comfort comes speed) is so superior, except for full-blown sprints. In my experience anyway. I ride them a little soft on the road, 50psi/3.5bar not the full 60, which I find too harsh. The softer pressure rolls a whole lot better, too.

There is mounting evidence that bigger volume/lower pressure is more efficient on all but the smoothest of tar, anyway, even if it goes against everything we learnt starting out. Not too long a go (ok a long time ago, in the 80s) we rode 18mm on the road, at 120+psi, because it was faster. The old guys in the club said so.

Off-road - you must try them in the mud. Next-level skills development.

Thanks for the input... I find your experiences quite interesting.

So you're also on the 40mm one's and are quite happy with the toughness of the tyre.

If I can throw a spanner in the works, I have Spez pathfinder 35mm. They have a smooth ridge in the middle, so rolling resistance on tar is non existing, but lekker grippy in the side. Mine have done over 1000km and they look like new and no punctures.

PS, I am not a spez fan, but these tires are really good.

Have used two Spez tyres before and the have been incredibly tough and reliable. Only looking at the Gravelkings as I'm tempted by the reported great comfort and good rolling by Tim and others on the Net. Just a bit concerned about toughness though.

I've been on Gravelking 38c slicks for the last year. Most of the riding takes place on the road, sidewalks, and smooth gravel. For the type of riding I do they are unbeatable, but I can think of various scenarios where they would be less than ideal.

Rolling resistance: Probably one of the fastest 38mm tyres you'll get for riding on paved roads.

Durability: I've just reached 7000km on my set, rode tubeless until 5k, but started having inflation issues, so last 2k has been with tubes. Back tyre will be replaced soon.

Terrain: I ride 90/10 pavement/gravel. If i rode more gravel i would go for something a little more heavyduty with thicker sidewalls and better puncture protection.