Proud owner of first road bike

Salty Biker

Hi all. Just thought I'd share this. I'm a mountain biker and have been for nearly 20 years, however there is more tar than trail where I live so I finally decided to buy my first road bike. After keeping an eye on Gumtree I finally found this Raleigh RC3000 extra large frame with shoes included for a very good price! Owner is immigrating and needed to clear out his stuff so it worked well for both of us

It's an old bike I know, 13 years old apparently. Far from the super light and advanced machines we have today that cost more than my car, but I feel it was a good choice for me to start road riding with

It has Shimano Tiagra components, Maxxis Detonator 700 x 23c tyres and weighs in at 10.6kg on the bathroom scale. The gears need a slight adjustment and the bike needs a good clean but otherwise everything is smooth and is in good condition. First thing I'm going to do though is change those tyres and tubes to new ones because I'm quite sure they are rather old. Will probably go for slightly wider tyres. Might change the brake pads as well but as they are they work very well!

Anyway here is a photo:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats salty. I myself only do mtb'ing,but im also considering to get a road bike for a change of scenery now and then.

i last had a road bike when i was 14. Hell, thinking about it now...i had 3 bikes then (bmx, and a mtb too)...all pass-me-downs....but still.

Now i just have a MTB.

where did I go wrong.

i need to re-examine my life choices.

FML.

Edited by morneS555

i last had a road bike when i was 14. Hell, thinking about it now...i had 3 bikes then (bmx, and a mtb too)...all pass-me-downs....but still.

Now i just have a MTB.

where did I go wrong.

i need to re-examine my life choices.

FML.

I hear you, I worked at Spur on weekends and earned about R200 and still managed to afford 3 bikes... had a Mongoose BMX, Zini road bike and Giant MTB.

AHH the simplicity of life back then

I hear you, I worked at Spur on weekends and earned about R200 and still managed to afford 3 bikes... had a Mongoose BMX, Zini road bike and Giant MTB.

AHH the simplicity of life back then

had a chrome trek bmx, red Haro mtb and a pearl white Le Turbo "speedbike" as i used to call it lol.

yup...those were the days. I remember each had its purpose and i rode all of them all the time.

ENJOY  :thumbup:

Been thinking of a "gravel grinder" for a commuter ....  :whistling:  ( my vrou slag my af!)

PS - may be worth your while to swop out the inner and outer cables for those gears .... cheap enough, and may aid some smooth shifting ....

Been thinking of a "gravel grinder" for a commuter ....  :whistling:  ( my vrou slag my af!)

why custom builds are a perfect front for "bike laundering" . parts are small....complete bikes are  big and very in your face ^_^

Congrats!  There is no cheap/old road bike,they just get better with age :) (my oldest bike is ~50 years old)

Just check your handlebars, they need to be flat/level at the top, seems like the turned down alot, might cause some hand/wrist pain.

enjoy it

Welcome to the world of high speed cycling.

They were good bikes. A friend rode elite with one of those and was still competitive with the country's top pro teams.

Welcome to the world of high speed cycling.

They were good bikes. A friend rode elite with one of those and was still competitive with the country's top pro teams.

I am also a mountain biker.  I also considered buying a road bike, but I ended up buying another wheel set with slicks.

Still, I am considering a cheapish road bike...

Thanks all!

Think I'll replace that cheesy looking seat as well at some point (looks like a kid's bike's seat, but I know it's original), however my cheapskate girlfriend says I shouldn't change it just because I don't like the looks of it, because I'm going to sit on it and nobody will see the seat

Looking forward to doing the shova fun ride with it

Thanks all!

Think I'll replace that cheesy looking seat as well at some point (looks like a kid's bike's seat, but I know it's original), however my cheapskate girlfriend says I shouldn't change it just because I don't like the looks of it, because I'm going to sit on it and nobody will see the seat

Looking forward to doing the shova fun ride with it

But we have all already seen the seat now so we know what it looks like.

So if we see you out riding we will stop and point because you have a kids seat :)