[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Shiraz

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

Event Name: FNB Wines2Whales Shiraz
When: 1 November 2019 - 3 November 2019
Where: Oak Valley Wine Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The FNB Wines2Whales was born out of the desire to establish a world-class 3-day stage race in the Western Cape, South Africa. Since its inception in 2009 it has become a must-do event on the mountain bike calendar, with riders from all of over South Africa and the world queuing for the chance to ride it.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noob questions. First time doing Wine2Whales.

1. What do you pack in terms of clothing, bedding etc? (have the tent +mattress option)

2. How does the shower facilities work?

3. Is it noisy in the tent village at night with all the snoring?

4. Any preferred meds to pack for cramps, stomach ache, headaches etc? 

5. Can you charge phones / power banks at the race village?

Any tips/tricks welcome.

Thank you.

Edited by Beer4Recovery

1. What do you pack in terms of clothing, bedding etc? (have the tent +mattress option)

Sleeping bag with a base sheet and a pillow

Generally the chemical toilets work but often riders don’t know how to use them. Take a spare roll of toilet paper along and a head torch so that you can inspect the toilet before use. This safes never from sitting down in someone’s else’s ****. ....

Snoring , generator sets and noisy orgasims all par for the course . Take ear plugs or a white noise generator if you have one.

Take what works for you. The medical tent has most meds but you don’t want to find out you’re allergic to panado on day 1

Yes Amped has a charge station in race village

Any tips/tricks welcome.

Have fun , keep your sense of humour high you will need it on the single track

Thank you.

Sleeping bag with a base sheet and a pillow

Generally the chemical toilets work but often riders don’t know how to use them. Take a spare roll of toilet paper along and a head torch so that you can inspect the toilet before use. This safes never from sitting down in someone’s else’s ****. ....

Snoring , generator sets and noisy orgasims all par for the course . Take ear plugs or a white noise generator if you have one.

Take what works for you. The medical tent has most meds but you don’t want to find out you’re allergic to panado on day 1

Yes Amped has a charge station in race village

Any tips/tricks welcome.

Have fun , keep your sense of humour high you will need it on the single track

Thank you.

What about showers?

Is it a hosepipe on a branch or is it decent like the ones at Sani2c?

What about showers?

Is it a hosepipe on a branch or is it decent like the ones at Sani2c?

Same as those used at the cape epic I.e hot water, stainless steel floor and good ventilation. Very sanitary. They’re built into a truck trailer .

Hans grohe shower heads if that floats your boat

• 2 weeks later...

Weather is looking good (better) for the Shiraz this weekend. Been reading up on the other forums about the Chardonnay event, most feel a bit disappointed about the water points and the elitist vibe associated with the event compared to the midweek #seriousgees vibes for first timers to the event.

We are first timers who got a complimentary entry for the Shiraz (pro race event), I don't want that to dampen our experience of the event, so going to approach this with an open mind and if it's really that terrible, I will report back. Trails look good though.

Weather is looking good (better) for the Shiraz this weekend. Been reading up on the other forums about the Chardonnay event, most feel a bit disappointed about the water points and the elitist vibe associated with the event compared to the midweek #seriousgees vibes for first timers to the event.

We are first timers who got a complimentary entry for the Shiraz (pro race event), I don't want that to dampen our experience of the event, so going to approach this with an open mind and if it's really that terrible, I will report back. Trails look good though.

That is the spirit!

I am sure i am going to bump into you in the beer tent!

These events are what one make of it! And its going to be lekker!!!!!!!

Okes the real question here is what is being done about the rugby? I asked on Facebook page and they don’t seem to care about the final. If we start at 7:30 we will never make 11 kick off?

Okes the real question here is what is being done about the rugby? I asked on Facebook page and they don’t seem to care about the final. If we start at 7:30 we will never make 11 kick off?

They might decide to start the race a bit earlier. They did that to avoid the rain on Sunday. Starting after the rugby isn't going to be safe  ;)

They made us start at 06:00 on Sunday (Day3 Chardonnay) for the semi-final, so I am sure they will move up the starting times for the final.

They made us start at 06:00 on Sunday (Day3 Chardonnay) for the semi-final, so I am sure they will move up the starting times for the final.

ok so I better pack some arm warmers and and my helmet light then .....

We actually joked this past weekend about that Afrikaans song\saying, "Wie trou dan op 'n final?". "Wie ry W2W op 'n final?"

The wife will be sending score updates. I'll just check them at the WPs.

Or maybe I can ride along with guys getting updates straight on their Garmin\Wahoo\Polar etc.

Go Bokke!

We actually joked this past weekend about that Afrikaans song\saying, "Wie trou dan op 'n final?". "Wie ry W2W op 'n final?"

The wife will be sending score updates. I'll just check them at the WPs.

Or maybe I can ride along with guys getting updates straight on their Garmin\Wahoo\Polar etc.

Go Bokke!

Find the guy who's streaming it on his phone mounted to his handlebars.