Crank pulley - where from?

RJClegg

Hey all, 

So I want to pull off my current cranks and replace it with something that will fit a single chainring on. :) 

I've been looking online for a crank pulley - not having much luck. Does anyone know where I can buy one from? 

I'll probably change cranks more than once, so best I just get the right tool to start with. 

Appreciate the help!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, 

So I want to pull off my current cranks and replace it with something that will fit a single chainring on. :)

I've been looking online for a crank pulley - not having much luck. Does anyone know where I can buy one from? 

I'll probably change cranks more than once, so best I just get the right tool to start with. 

Appreciate the help!

Do you mean a crank puller?

guess it depends what crank it is? and what BB. if it is a normal external bb cup or bb30 or pf30 the cranks should just slide out with a nudge. if it's one of those square tapered businesses where the arms bolt to the bb it might be more effort to get out...just go ask a shop to help, especially if it is a SQ tapered....you'll never use that tool ever again?  

Depending on the crank, take a look at Park Tool. I have their puller which works on Race Face as well as old Shimano road bike cranks. If it's SRAM or Shimano external BB you dont need a puller, just the right sized Allen keys.

Thanks for the help guys. I am not 100% what type of BB it is. But it's a Shimano crank. There was an Allen key bolt that I had to remove from the centre. But the crank doesn't budge. 

I can take photos this afternoon. But the bike is a Silverback splash 2, if that helps? 

I bought mine from a small LBS for 100 bucks. I'm sure your local ship will have one in stock, or just pay them the few rands it'll cost for them to pull them off for you. You only need the tool for removal, not reinstallation.

You could also mcguyver is with a normal bearing puller that has the three hooked arms, but you do risk damaging the cranks. So not recommended but can work in an emergency.

Thanks for the help guys. I am not 100% what type of BB it is. But it's a Shimano crank. There was an Allen key bolt that I had to remove from the centre. But the crank doesn't budge. 

I can take photos this afternoon. But the bike is a Silverback splash 2, if that helps? 

yup its a square taper BB probably. Just go to a shop and ask them if they can quickly help you take it out..../they can be a B***** if they have been on there a while. i wouldn't buy a tool for it.

You'll need a threaded external bottom bracket too by the sounds of it if your new cranks don't come with one.

yup its a square taper BB probably. Just go to a shop and ask them if they can quickly help you take it out..../they can be a B***** if they have been on there a while. i wouldn't buy a tool for it.

You'll need a threaded external bottom bracket too by the sounds of it if your new cranks don't come with one.

Ah, sounds like a real mission. :( 

Was eyeing up a s/h pair of race face cranks to go on. Would these fit?

Ah, sounds like a real mission. :( 

Was eyeing up a s/h pair of race face cranks to go on. Would these fit?

with an appropriate bb yes they shoud fit. They will be either 24mm or 30mm spindle depending on the model. i think the Aeffects are still 24mm (hollowtech 2) and the Turbines are 30mm. 

it is just a mission to get the old junk out. once you have the new bb cups and cranks it is literally something you can do youeself with the cheapest of BB wrenches....why external threaded BB's are so popular. my current frame has a PF30 (press fit BB). what a pita if you just want to play around with different BB's...the proper tool for installing that costs close to an entry level bike lol

take some closeup pics and post themhere of the BB area and alos the cranks you are looking at. the mob here willhelp you out with what you need and where/what tobuy.

also measure you BB length. it will be either 68 or 73mm

edit:

is it this:

https://silverbacklab.com/bike-model/ladies-design/splash-2-sld/

Edited by morneS555

Ý

Hey all, 

!

Are you sure you can't fit a single chain ring on your existing cranks ?

It may not be necessary to change at all.

You will need something like this

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Crank-Puller-Bicycle-Chain-Tool-Park_60137861140.html

I bought one from Sportsmans warehouse years ago for R80.

where are you in Gauteng?

In Randburg. 

Thanks for the links gents. Will check them out. :)