To Scott Spark or not to Scott Spark?

NeverNotRolling

So I'm about to make a purchase on a new bike and the Scott Spark seems to tick all of the right boxes for me as it's around my budget of under R40k.

I'm just having thoughts about whether this bike is trail enough for me. I do enjoy long hauls on a bike and love climbing and the occasional races.

But I would like to get more into trail oriented riding and learn some more technical stuff. Therefore a bike which inspires more confidence would essentially be a plus. Am I still looking at the Scott Spark in this case? I know it's capable, but is it capable enough?

Edited by Serg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the model you're looking at and price you're willing to pay you could look at the Giant trance 29 or the new Ibis Ripley.

I would also expect a new update on the Scott by next year as it's been ~4 years or so now in cycle - which could/should also affect new purchases.

Depending on the model you're looking at and price you're willing to pay you could look at the Giant trance 29 or the new Ibis Ripley.

I would also expect a new update on the Scott by next year as it's been ~4 years or so now in cycle - which could/should also affect new purchases.

Budget is something under R40k, which falls more into the Trance 2 price category for a 2019 model possibly.

Would love to know how the Trance 2 fairs on longer rides and climbs from someone one the hub, and not a youtuber...

So I'm about to make a purchase on a new bike and the Scott Spark seems to tick all of the right boxes for me as it's around my budget of under R40k.

I'm just having thoughts about whether this bike is trail enough for me. I do enjoy long hauls on a bike and love climbing and the occasional races.

But I would like to get more into trail oriented riding and learn some more technical stuff. Therefore a bike which inspires more confidence would essentially be a plus. Am I still looking at the Scott Spark in this case? I know it's capable, but is it capable enough?

If you're wondering whether the Spark is too xc focussed for you, the Trance 29 is the same travel (give or take a few mm) but is firmly in the "downhiller's trail bike" segment, which means it can pedal well, but LOVES the chunder. Slightly more "all mountain-y" than the spark, which is a long legged xc bike. 

Some folks will say that you'll need more travel on the suspension but I do believe that 100 ish mm travel will be more than sufficient - you don't want to be riding a "slap-noodle" 

Giant is a very capable brand btw. I have friends - one on a Anthem and the other on a Spark - the Scott is more aggressive than the Anthem, the Anthem is more laid back and relaxed - or that's what it looks like when comparing the riders  :eek:.  

Budget is something under R40k, which falls more into the Trance 2 price category for a 2019 model possibly.

Would love to know how the Trance 2 fairs on longer rides and climbs from someone one the hub, and not a youtuber...

one of the ladies in our riding group has one, and loves it. If I were in teh market for a new bike, it would definitely be on the short-list. She prefers it to her BF's Hightower in terms of climbing ability. 

If you're wondering whether the Spark is too xc focussed for you, the Trance 29 is the same travel (give or take a few mm) but is firmly in the "downhiller's trail bike" segment, which means it can pedal well, but LOVES the chunder. Slightly more "all mountain-y" than the spark, which is a long legged xc bike.

Thanks, and when you say all mountain, do you mean it's comfortable to do a 100km xc ride and climbing isn't too sluggish? Granted I don't care for fast times and competing.

Essentially I'd love a bike which is very trail capable, yet comfortable for about a 100km race if necessary, I don't need to win or get amazing times, I just want the bike to still feel comfortable after 100kms and the climbing not to suck. Right now I really enjoy tough climbs on my hard tail. Hoping the Trance 2 can fill this requirement if I can get it for under R40k.

Thanks, and when you say all mountain, do you mean it's comfortable to do a 100km xc ride and climbing isn't too sluggish? Granted I don't care for fast times and competing.

Yes. Absolutely fine for most multi day stage races. Not as efficient as an XC-focussed race machine, but then those are compromised in pretty much every other situation. 

But still. Test, test test. Regardless of how good the Trance may be, you may not get on with it. Same as the Spark., 

Tough choice. I would try to ride both and see which one works best for you.

Glad I'm too broke to worry about new bikes.

You missed out, last month there were Scott Spark comp 900's at R35k at cycle lab. I pulled trigger and have really enjoyed it so far.

That being said- GP has few trails where you need more than 100mm travel up front and I have a decade of MX racing to compensate for those few trails where it is needed. I do prefer a racier bike as well.

You missed out, last month there were Scott Spark comp 900's at R35k at cycle lab. I pulled trigger and have really enjoyed it so far.

That being said- GP has few trails where you need more than 100mm travel up front and I have a decade of MX racing to compensate for those few trails where it is needed. I do prefer a racier bike as well.

I think the Spark RC is a bit to XC Race focused for what he wants.

Had a Spark, now on a Trance 29. The Spark is fast, properly fast, but has more nervous handling than the Giant. I went the 130mm up front route on my Spark, with a shorter stem to make it more trail worthy, but it is still more of a marathon / XC bike than a trail bike. If you intend to do a lot of climbing it is excellent. The Giant is a different beast. It craves the downhills, but is still great fun on the flats and climbs well. Proper setup is key for the Giant. You need to get the sag correct, once you had that dialed it is a lot more fun than the Scott can ever be. If you're planning on 100km days, then swap out the DHR rear for something a bit faster rolling. When I did that it felt like I'd removed an anchor from the bike.

So, from my experience: if you want something biased to the XC side of things that is fast and efficient, get the Spark. If you want a bit of a hooligan, go for the Giant. Both are great bikes