SRAM Force Gear-Set "Wiz" - Cape Town

The_Hitman

Where/Who in Cape Town is the "wiz" when it comes to setting the gears of a SRAM Force groupset? Who is the best around in the Northern Suburbs? I have tried 2 shops but I am not happy with the result. 

Looking forward to hear from your experience and opinion.  

No personal experience but seen this name appear regularly for Northern Suburbs bike maintenance.?

Knipe Racing

Where/Who in Cape Town is the "wiz" when it comes to setting the gears of a SRAM Force groupset? Who is the best around in the Northern Suburbs? I have tried 2 shops but I am not happy with the result. 

What’s the issue you’re experiencing?

10s or 11s?

Yaw front derailleur?

I go to Freewheel Cycology in Kenilworth (not in Northern Suburbs though)  and they do my SRAM force perfectly.  Sean is the best.

Anyone should be able to do that for you. If you have struggled at 2 shops it's likely there is a bigger issue (maybe a slightly bent hanger). Still bad form that the shops didn't pick up on that.

Learn to do it yourself - it's simple and will save you a lot of time and money in future.

Watch some Youtube videos and then take it from there.

Yes, learn to do it yourself, I have force 22. Started with watching some videos and practice makes perfect. Just make sure you're in no rush.

there can be a challenge on some frames with the YAW front derailleur. It is especially tricky to set up on some Cannondale models fitted with Hollowgram cranks. Till OP provides more information it's hard to have  a conversation about it.

let wait till he gets back from his Hit and then see where this goes

What’s the issue you’re experiencing?

10s or 11s?

Yaw front derailleur?

10 speed, problem with rear derailleur - issue when shifting from higher to lower gear. 

Noisy and sometimes it would require another tap to settle down.  

there can be a challenge on some frames with the YAW front derailleur. It is especially tricky to set up on some Cannondale models fitted with Hollowgram cranks. Till OP provides more information it's hard to have  a conversation about it.

let wait till he gets back from his Hit and then see where this go

No personal experience but seen this name appear regularly for Northern Suburbs bike maintenance.?

Knipe Racing

thanks will give them a try... 

Anyone should be able to do that for you. If you have struggled at 2 shops it's likely there is a bigger issue (maybe a slightly bent hanger). Still bad form that the shops didn't pick up on that.

Thanks for this.... will inspect my hanger. 

10 speed, problem with rear derailleur - issue when shifting from higher to lower gear. 

Noisy and sometimes it would require another tap to settle down.  

OK when you say higher gear to lower gear do you mean from a big sprocket to a smaller sprocket or from a small sprocket to a bigger sprocket?

If the former then it could be a barrel adjuster issue or the top pulley wheel bearing is shot.

If its the latter it sounds like it could be the cable not moving smoothly inside the housing. So either there's a bend that too sharp or the cable has a kink.

Worst case is the shifter is going. There is a known issue with a few early batches where the Double tap escapement wore prematurely. If you have the serial number handy (under the rubber hood) then call the distributor Cape Cycle Systems and check. SRAM were warranting those shifters. a few years back but I'm not sure what the current situation is as 10S Force has been around for 10 years and is no longer supported.

IF it is the shifter, an upgrade to 11 speed is easy as its just the shifter that needs to be replaced and the cassette of course needs to be 11s SRAM or Shimano

OK when you say higher gear to lower gear do you mean from a big sprocket to a smaller sprocket or from a small sprocket to a bigger sprocket?

If the former then it could be a barrel adjuster issue or the top pulley wheel bearing is shot.

If its the latter it sounds like it could be the cable not moving smoothly inside the housing. So either there's a bend that too sharp or the cable has a kink.

Worst case is the shifter is going. There is a known issue with a few early batches where the Double tap escapement wore prematurely. If you have the serial number handy (under the rubber hood) then call the distributor Cape Cycle Systems and check. SRAM were warranting those shifters. a few years back but I'm not sure what the current situation is as 10S Force has been around for 10 years and is no longer supported.

IF it is the shifter, an upgrade to 11 speed is easy as its just the shifter that needs to be replaced and the cassette of course needs to be 11s SRAM or Shimano

Yes the issue is moving from small sprocket to the bigger one.

Thanks for the information, I will inspect the items you have mentioned.