Top Fuel 9.8 XT? Or what other options would you recommend?

Charlie600

Dear hubbers,

It's time to pull the trigger on a new MTB whilst the intended use will mostly be XC mixed up with (mild) trails. I will also have fun in and around the forests so would prefer to have 120mm worth of travel, instead of the normal XC ripping 100mm.

The new Top Fuel with 1x12 XT spec seems like a really nice option together with the Fox Performance fork etc. (https://www.trekbikes.com/be/nl_BE/fietsen/mountainbikes/xc-mountainbikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-9-8-xt/p/31063/) although I would've hoped for the new XT 4 piston calipers for the price instead of SLX.

What are the good, bad and ugly from your perspective and also, what should I also possibly consider such as the Spez Epic Evo etc.?

Thanks in advance for all the advice (and banter). :)

It's nice but for that kind of money I would want something around 10kg rather than 12.5kg.

Coming from a Trek EX 9.8 which was 12.5kg to my Anthem which is 10kg was a huge difference.

I've had an Epic Evo for around 2 months now (after 7 months off the bike due to injurty) and can't be happier. Climbs far better than I'm capable off, is comfortable on long days in the saddle and knows it's way around the rough stuff [that is within my skill level, and slightly outside] without a second thought. When I was looking I was initially leaning towards a Fuel EX, but that was before the Top Fuel got graced with longer travel.

Disclaimer: - can't comment on how it would handle European Black and Double Black trails as I'd probably struggle just walking them.

It's nice but for that kind of money I would want something around 10kg rather than 12.5kg.

Coming from a Trek EX 9.8 which was 12.5kg to my Anthem which is 10kg was a huge difference.

Not really a fair comparison - 130mm trail bike vs 100mm XC trail whippet

OP is looking for a 120mm XC/Trail bike - What 10kg bike would you suggest for less $$ than the Trek Fuel?

Not really a fair comparison - 130mm trail bike vs 100mm XC trail whippet

OP is looking for a 120mm XC/Trail bike - What 10kg bike would you suggest for less $$ than the Trek Fuel?

That's why I bought a trail bike initially, for the 130mm travel. I quickly found that a 10kg whippet with 100mm travel was faster everywhere and obviously easier to control. Obviously this is my personal experience

If you are planning on buying a bike in that price range it is crucial to take the warranty policies into consideration...

I can highly recommend the Trek when it comes to this. I have had frame parts as well as carbon rims replaced for free... The great support that I have recieved from Trek constantly gives me piece of mind when I ride. I know that the money I spent on a good brand with a good warranty police will back me if needed.

So in my opinion go with the Trek.

PS - The wide carbon rims on that bike is an awesome addition to the bike, I have the same set and it completely changed my ride!

No way a top fuel is 12.5 kg

My fuel 9.8 ex medium with xt trail pedals incl dropper and slime comes in at 12.66kg so a top fuel would max be 11.5kg probably less