Tyres “bleeding” Stans sealant

Sbloomer

Ok so it’s now overinflated. Why bother with printing ratings on sidewalls when they are meaningless.

1 word: Litigation

They need to do that in order to show the "safe operating margin" of a tyre, in order to prootect themselves from lawsuits as a result of pressure being too high or low. You may laugh at that, but it's a real concern in places like the US where litigation grows on trees. 

And yes, 3.5 bar is way too high for MTB. Your comfort and grip levels will skyrocket once you get yoru optimal pressure dialled in. Start at 30psi (2 bar) and work down until you start feelinng squirm in the corners or you start getting rim strikes. When that happens, increase by 1psi and ride.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that with Spez tyres. The sidewalls seem to be very thin. If you ride the tyre a touch soft, the sidewall gets hurt and then the sealant starts weeping out.

I have stopped riding these tyres.

Same here

My Spez tyres do the same and they're Grids which are the most robust of tyres their tyres. Spez recommend that you use a different sealant to Stans if you don't like the bleeding, I haven't really bothered.

My Spez tyres do the same and they're Grids which are the most robust of tyres their tyres. Spez recommend that you use a different sealant to Stans if you don't like the bleeding, I haven't really bothered.

Grid? Most robust? Hahahaha

Maybe in the ground control and below, but up here we're rocking black diamond and then downhill casings.

Grid? Most robust? Hahahaha

Maybe in the ground control and below, but up here we're rocking black diamond and then downhill casings.

I was comparing within the Spez range and if I understand the Spez ranking it's Sworks, Control and Grid in the order of weight and robustness, the Grid being the heaviest. I personally prefer Maxxis if I am looking for a tougher tyre but the Butcher Purgatory combo my Stumpy came with actually performs quite well on the grip measurement.

I was comparing within the Spez range and if I understand the Spez ranking it's Sworks, Control and Grid in the order of weight and robustness, the Grid being the heaviest. I personally prefer Maxxis if I am looking for a tougher tyre but the Butcher Purgatory combo my Stumpy came with actually performs quite well on the grip measurement.

All you fags comparing Spez tyres????????????????????????

Just ride with Racing Ralphs pumped at 1.8 and you won't have drama.

Bunch of queens

Above GRID is BLK DMND and then the DH casings. In spaz tyres rankings casing toughness, that is the order and the BLK DMND is a significant increase in casing strength over that of the GRID casing. 

With Maxxis, GRID = EXO  EXO PLUS is between Grid and BLK DMND and BLK DMND = Doubledown. 

All you fags comparing Spez tyres

Bunch of queens

Most PC opinion of the year thus far? Just so you know it's 2019

All you fags comparing Spez tyres????????????????????????

Bunch of queens

1970s talk show host speak aside you'd be better off wrapping condoms around your tube than riding Racing Ralphs.

1 word: Litigation

They need to do that in order to show the "safe operating margin" of a tyre, in order to prootect themselves from lawsuits as a result of pressure being too high or low. You may laugh at that, but it's a real concern in places like the US where litigation grows on trees.

And yes, 3.5 bar is way too high for MTB. Your comfort and grip levels will skyrocket once you get yoru optimal pressure dialled in. Start at 30psi (2 bar) and work down until you start feelinng squirm in the corners or you start getting rim strikes. When that happens, increase by 1psi and ride.

I can buy your argument about the appropriateness of pressure for the application.

I can’t buy the fact that the recommended tyre pressures are not appropriate for tyre life according to manufacturers specifications.

I don’t ride hard like you okes, but I’m not all that light and I have been known to crack a rim.

Guess I need to find fag appropriate tyres if crispy is to be believed.

Edited by Sbloomer

1970s talk show host speak aside you'd be better off wrapping condoms around your tube than riding Racing Ralphs.

Rode Friday afternoon and pulled thorns out of my front tyre during the ride.

Saturday morning ride tyre was still hard.

Rode this afternoon and still didn't need to pump or fix the tyre.

Stans and Ralphs are a good combination imho

Edited by King_Crispy

Above GRID is BLK DMND and then the DH casings. In spaz tyres rankings casing toughness, that is the order and the BLK DMND is a significant increase in casing strength over that of the GRID casing. 

With Maxxis, GRID = EXO  EXO PLUS is between Grid and BLK DMND and BLK DMND = Doubledown.

Thanks I did not know that.

I can buy your argument about the appropriateness of pressure for the application.

I can’t buy the fact that the recommended tyre pressures are not appropriate for tyre life according to manufacturers specifications.

I don’t ride hard like you okes, but I’m not all that light and I have been known to crack a rim.

Guess I need to find fag appropriate tyres if crispy is to be believed.

I weigh 100kg and never ride with tyre pressures over 1.8 bar .I ride different tyres and some sweat and some don,t .Schwalbe tyres tend to sweat ,conti's always sweat .Maxxis crossmark don't but ikon,s sometimes .Vittorio never .I have only ridden a spez tyre once and it was below standard imo .Riding a mtb tyre  at 3.5 bar is way to hard .I think the extra pressure is damaging the tyre prematurely .If a tyre is not ridden regularly ,the rubber will start to perish and the rubber ,fabric bonds become weak and start leaking .I have had a lightly used schwalbe tyre become delaminated and the same happend to a friend,s crossmark  .I know that some tyre manufactures do not recommend stan,s sealant as it dissolves the tyre from the inside .https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/long-term-tubeless-mtb-tire-sealant-throwdown/

Edited by arendoog

I’ve ridden spez tyres almost exclusively for for about 4 years and never had that. Use Stan’s and the casings are pretty much always grid. Would like a black diamond. But I can’t find any 650b anywhere.

120kgs and ride at 30psi, 2 bar... And they're probably still too hard.

3.5 is just nuts.

90kgs and 20psi. Grip well and side walls are strong. I can’t imagine what my ones would be like above 30psi with my weight.