Tyres “bleeding” Stans sealant

Sbloomer

Any idea why my tyres seem to be “bleeding” stans sealant through the sidewalls like this?

They’re hardly more than a year old.

a82e0d520791a0de6971ef3695bf929b.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave them in the sun for half an hour.

Rotate them.

That should seal the tyre properly from the inside, where the tyre has started to perish a bit. That often happens on tyres that have a weaker sidewall and were designed not to run tubeless

Yeah these are Spez

I have noticed that with Spez tyres. The sidewalls seem to be very thin. If you ride the tyre a touch soft, the sidewall gets hurt and then the sealant starts weeping out.
I have stopped riding these tyres.

What spez tyres have this sidewall problem?

Every set of ground controls that I’ve owned had this issue. Even the latest casings do it.

Mine did that for almost 7000 km's and other than losing a little bit i sealant it was never an issue. Also, Stans is really thin and tends to do that, other sealants less so.

just keep adding more sealant and than normal,and go ride (best way to keep the sealant washing over the whole tyre). Eventually they will seal.

Happens with new tyres as well. Like someone else mentioned earlier, TLR or tubeless ready means only the tyre bead is tubeless compatible, NOT the sidewalls. So expect TLR tyres to bleed air, and sometimes sealant as well, via the sidewalls.

Edited by Capricorn

Mine did that for almost 7000 km's and other than losing a little bit i sealant it was never an issue. Also, Stans is really thin and tends to do that, other sealants less so.

Been using Stans for years and never had this issue. Reckon it's Spez thing

Also be careful not to overinflate the tyre when trying to seat it the first time. This damages the sidewalls - especially the lighter casings.

Also be careful not to overinflate the tyre when trying to seat it the first time. This damages the sidewalls - especially the lighter casings.

Been using Stans for years and never had this issue. Reckon it's Spez thing

Nope. It's a thin / porous sidewall thing. You see the same with most TLR or Tubeless Ready tyres with this sidewalls. This would include Maxxis's EXO casing, Spaz'z Control & S Works casings, and pretty much any casing that isn't their strongest variety. 

OP's tyre also seems to have been run at a slightly lower pressure than required, due to those striations in the sidewall that generally occur when the tyre has been rolling (squirming) under load. 

It will seal properly with more sealant, as Capricorn says. It's par for the course with the porosity of some casings.