Kenya and Tanzania mountain biking

Debbie Creamer

In July I cycled all the way around Kilimanjaro and up to Shira Plateau.  Totally off the tourist trail and through many remote villages where they definitely did not seem used to foreigners at all.  The whole thing was absolutely amazing and I thoroughly recommend it.  I wrote a little article about it for Full Sus last month.  

Although technically we crossed into Kenya, 97% of the trip was in Tanzania.  

post-50271-0-98818100-1571035101_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-64679300-1571035148_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-77563600-1571035186_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-95168300-1571035211_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-43637800-1571035247_thumb.jpg

Most of the mountain biking happening is expat driven as far as I know and centered around Arusha/Moshi in N Tanzania and Nairobi in Kenya.  Riding from Mombasa and Dar is flat, hot and sweaty and the guys I know there just do it to stay fut and go elsewhere for fun. 

Lots of tribal land with no fences in N Tanz and S Kenya especially in Masai areas, makes for endless possibilities if you are adventurous enough and have lots of time.  You can go for days on jeep tracks, cattle and game paths and everything from high mountain rain forest to semi desert and soda lakes on the rift valley floor.  Its one of my favorite parts of the world.

Main event series in Kenya is the Rift Valley Odyssey which is a great adventure, suggest could contact Eric https://www.riftvalleyodyssey.com/ for a tie in to Nairobi bike community and specific suggestions

And these guys for the Tanz side of the border https://www.k2nstage.com/

In July I cycled all the way around Kilimanjaro and up to Shira Plateau.  Totally off the tourist trail and through many remote villages where they definitely did not seem used to foreigners at all.  The whole thing was absolutely amazing and I thoroughly recommend it.  I wrote a little article about it for Full Sus last month.  

Although technically we crossed into Kenya, 97% of the trip was in Tanzania.  

Dirtypot, this soundslike an awesome trip. Do you have a blog or write up of it to share with us? I will try and get my paws on the mag too.

Edited by Dusty

I stay and work in the Shinyanga province and I cycle just because I like it. Depending of the season one can get very dry, arid, dusty  and when you get onto the public roads heavily corrugated riding conditions. Or, during the wet season you can get wet and you can get turf like tough clay that sticks to everything. Think thorns, livestock, heat and many Tanzanians hoping to strike a conversation or just to compete in a race you did not start. Its flat, but windy and I think cycling is safe, but I do not recommend a woman to go out on her own.

Carry your own spares and really think hard on how long and how far your plan to ride. You'll need water. In short. Be prepared and enjoy. 

Most of the mountain biking happening is expat driven as far as I know and centered around Arusha/Moshi in N Tanzania and Nairobi in Kenya.  Riding from Mombasa and Dar is flat, hot and sweaty and the guys I know there just do it to stay fut and go elsewhere for fun. 

Lots of tribal land with no fences in N Tanz and S Kenya especially in Masai areas, makes for endless possibilities if you are adventurous enough and have lots of time.  You can go for days on jeep tracks, cattle and game paths and everything from high mountain rain forest to semi desert and soda lakes on the rift valley floor.  Its one of my favorite parts of the world.

Main event series in Kenya is the Rift Valley Odyssey which is a great adventure, suggest could contact Eric https://www.riftvalleyodyssey.com/ for a tie in to Nairobi bike community and specific suggestions

And these guys for the Tanz side of the border https://www.k2nstage.com/

Thumbs-up for RVO - what a great experience.  Definitely a bucket list event.  

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice on where to mountain bike in these countries? Thankyou!

My husband works in Geita, says plenty of dirt roads and trails all over the area it is rainy season now so he says it is very pretty.. I know the company arranges a trip to Kili for the mtbers, I assume he will do that when it is arranged again...from what people tell him it is hard but really nice.

My husband works in Geita, says plenty of dirt roads and trails all over the area it is rainy season now so he says it is very pretty.. I know the company arranges a trip to Kili for the mtbers, I assume he will do that when it is arranged again...from what people tell him it is hard but really nice.

This is what I did - the GGM Kili trip.