947 MTB Challenge 2019

Chadvdw67

Seeing as though there is no thread for this ride....

How difficult is it? I have entered the 55km route for my first one, how does it compare to say the 40km route at Modderfontein or Hennops, those are the longest rides I have done so far.

Also entered the 60km ride next weekend at Carnival city for the seeding for the 947 ride.

I think I am going to die, but it should be fun ????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also entered. Been checking out past races and the pros reckon its a good MTB race. Parts of the route is through Northern Farms. The last Nissan Trail Seekers is just the day before  :eek:

Edited by Jarl Borg

I did this race last year. Nothing very technical. What made it really hard was the heat. It was around 35 degrees last year.  There are some rocky climbs in the last 20kms that test the legs too. 

Last year was 850m of climbing over 56km. So about the same as Modders if you extend your ride or repeat a few climbs. It was the unwavering heat that made it challenging. Lots of unshaded parts where you just bake. I suffered from cramp in the race, which I put down to the heat and hydration. I won't make that mistake again! 

Did I mention it was fricken hot?  

So LOTS of hyration needed then, heat destroys me, as it does everyone I guess, any other tips/ideas to help with the heat?

Seeing as though there is no thread for this ride....

How difficult is it? I have entered the 55km route for my first one, how does it compare to say the 40km route at Modderfontein or Hennops, those are the longest rides I have done so far.

Also entered the 60km ride next weekend at Carnival city for the seeding for the 947 ride.

I think I am going to die, but it should be fun

If you can comfortably ride the technical stuff at Hennops and keep your flow at modderfontein then this is going to be a good ride for you.

They never make these rides to hard as they want the masses to enter but they do keep a level of difficulty to make it a mountain bike ride worth talking about.

in the past times I have done it the only gripe I've had is the seeding and the fact the riders that cant keep their momentum and stop in the single track for tree routes end up causing bottle necks for the guys who want to get past.

If you can put the hammer down in the first few kms and get ahead of the bunches.

I'm keen to see the route, haven't done the MTB in a few years so lets go out there and have some fun!

FYI, the seeding for the MTB is up on the 947 site. So let me start this off. I will be in group B12, gonna be a hot day.

FYI, the seeding for the MTB is up on the 947 site. So let me start this off. I will be in group B12, gonna be a hot day.

Where on the website did you find the seeding info?

If you can comfortably ride the technical stuff at Hennops and keep your flow at modderfontein then this is going to be a good ride for you.

They never make these rides to hard as they want the masses to enter but they do keep a level of difficulty to make it a mountain bike ride worth talking about.

in the past times I have done it the only gripe I've had is the seeding and the fact the riders that cant keep their momentum and stop in the single track for tree routes end up causing bottle necks for the guys who want to get past.

If you can put the hammer down in the first few kms and get ahead of the bunches.

I'm keen to see the route, haven't done the MTB in a few years so lets go out there and have some fun!

Sounds like it should be a good day then, just going to go out and have fun

Still need to be seeded, so I have no idea when I will be starting

So you'e doing the 25km ride?

Horror.

Start time: 08:18  

No longer looking forward to that. Pity I could not do any races to get seeded :(