Anybody used the Bike Buddy bike rack for caravan?

Chris NewbyFraser

Can't you just roll the bikes into the caravan and make sure they don't move around?

Maybe build a PVC Bike rack for the dimensions in a suitable space and put the bikes there?

I had the same issue a while ago. Sprite Splash towed by a Ranger with canopy. My problem was that there was not enough space between the vehicles. Based on my, not so brilliant, calculations I didn't feel comfortable that there was enough space when turning sharply. Was not keen on a rack behind the van either. I ended up with bike racks on top of the canopy. Your fuel efficiency is shot anyway and you're always aware of height restrictions because of the van you're towing.

I didn't feel comfortable that there was enough space when turning sharply

Depends upon the length of the drawbar – some trailers/caravans have quite a long drawbars and others do not. 

If you counter balance the weight of the bikes and rack at the back of the caravan should not be a problem. Also depend on the length of the drawbar as Mudlark said. Just never stuff around with weight behind the axles as things can turn nasty! Hired a car trailer once to go and fetch my dads car which had broken down, no one told me that it makes a huge difference which way the towed vehicle goes, weight of engine tried to Kung Fu the trailer and my bakkie if we went over 60km/h

Just never stuff around with weight behind the axles as things can turn nasty! Hired a car trailer once to go and fetch my dads car which had broken down, no one told me that it makes a huge difference which way the towed vehicle goes, weight of engine tried to Kung Fu the trailer and my bakkie if we went over 60km/h

Scary as anything. 50kg minimum and about 100kg downforce (weight) on the towball is usually right.

Can't you just roll the bikes into the caravan and make sure they don't move around?

Maybe build a PVC Bike rack for the dimensions in a suitable space and put the bikes there?

I have done this but one good 'jump' on the road and everything moves, even when packed tight with side tents etc. I've had an mtb tandem slide about and savage a cupboard. Also, when towing with a car/SUV, the space in the van is used for packing stuff, leaving little room for a bike, let alone two. Bakkies solve this problem but............I don't have one.