2020 Tour de France

pista

is there an article with all the new dates for the events?

Should be out today or tomorrow I think but it needs to be noted that these may all change again depending on current State of CV19 and countries lockdown rules.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be out today or tomorrow I think but it needs to be noted that these may all change again depending on current State of CV19 and countries lockdown rules.

I was going to say, pencil these in in 'H' pencil...

It could all change 55 times or not happen at all.

The situation is so tenuous and unpredictable.

Also, thanks for the ride the other day. That was really fun.

I'd love this to be the case but I really can't see it happening. ASO will do all it can to promote itself and has made some pretty foolhardy statements about running the race previously that seems to show a lack of care / understanding and the UCI have shown very little leadership as usual. 

I was told recently that any large scale events (spectator or participant) would not be authorised in South Africa for at least 8 - 10 months. Of course everything is a uncertain but with the world total of confirmed infections doublingfrom 1million to 2million in the last 14 days we are well behind catching up to this fire. Flattening the curve isn't elimination. It's managing the infection rates to reduce a tsunami. The facts still stand, only after 85% have got had the infection, developed immunity or there is a vaccine it's same, same. There is still no clear consensus on how fast this infects, the exact ways of delivery, best practice to combat it or treat it. 

I was going to say, pencil these in in 'H' pencil...

It could all change 55 times or not happen at all.

The situation is so tenuous and unpredictable.

Also, thanks for the ride the other day. That was really fun.

Even with this date "confirmed" it has changed weekly over the last few as with many other races that are looking to go ahead so whilst its rad that there is a date, I will wait for the full level of excitement when I have my bad packed on route. 

We roll tomorrow again, you in. 

The ASO are pretty powerful, and there is a TON of money at stake. . . . . so expect them to try and do everything they can not to lose out.

In the end it will be up to governments to make the decisions and the riders & fans to attend or not attend.

The ASO are pretty powerful, and there is a TON of money at stake. . . . . so expect them to try and do everything they can not to lose out.

In the end it will be up to governments to make the decisions and the riders & fans to attend or not attend.

Yes they own the Tour and a large stake in Vuelta along with the likes of Dauphine, Pais Vasco and Catalunya for example. All big hitters in terms of races. 

Its not only fans attending races its having teams in hotels and making protocols and health restrictions on that and never mind having a team of 30 people at supper and there 4 teams eating at 8pm.

Edited by J Wakefield

As you say, interesting. And very complicated.

Each town that hosts the Start or Finish of a Tour Stage pays a huge amount of money for the pivilege. Whether they have already paid that money to ASO or not for the 2020 Tour I don't know.

There are bound to be "clauses" written into all the ASO contracts regarding the cancelling of a stage, and what those clauses say will be interesting. Is the Coronavirus an Act of God for instance?

I assume that trying to push the Tour through and then cancelling it half way through would be better for the ASO financially than cancelling it in advance.  

Was just reading an article on the badger and this quote gave me such a laugh. Man, Hinault was a such a unbelievable character. You'll never see that kind of rider again unfortunately. 

"Bernard Hinault never saw a fight he didn’t like the look of joining. And if nobody else was fighting, he’d start one anyway."

Edited by T-Bob

I read that was well. Good article. Think the ladies will be that upset they haven't had their race schedules announced yet? 

I think that goes without saying.

The teams will have to make some big calls regarding any sort of decision that potentially puts 30-50 people directly at risk, never mind the wives and family etc of those directly involved in the active team. 

More quarantines, more isolation, more mental strain.... It's not something anyone will take lightly

I doubt any of the bigger teams would be willing to risk their "investments" for a short term return. Some of the smaller teams might though.

Was it Alain Prost who said he had "no need to risk his life at this point in time"  at the beginning of an F1 race when it was raining heavily, while lots of other drivers, not having the luxury of being able to call the shots, went ahead and raced?  

Edited by Bonus