2020 Tour de France

pista

True but being effectively state sponsored (think Astana / UAE / Bahrein) seems to be a more stable funding solution.

Dougie should be glad he doesn't have the state involved. It would be just be another avenue for corruption. Tyres would cost R5000 and a Spaz would be a cool ZAR1,000,000-00 for Comp

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... Which is why it won't happen in Africa by Africans.

No entirely true... as Chris Froom  will concur.

The career of four-time tour winner Chris Froome started thousands of miles away in a tiny village on the outskirts of Nairobi. Kenyan professional cyclist David Kinjah took him on trips through the mountains and injected him with the cycling virus.

While it has been fifteen years ago, David Kinjah (40) remembers it like it was yesterday. “After one of my races, a shy blond kid with a BMX-bike asked whether I wanted to teach him mountain biking. This little boy was Chris Froome.”

The then 12-years-old Froome, grandson of British emigrants, lived with his single mother, Jane Froome, in a small, one bedroom apartment in Nairobi. She had no car, no money and worked multiple jobs in order to survive. “Because she didn’t know what to do with her son on school holidays, she asked if he could stay with me for those weeks.”

And so Froome became part of the Safari Simbaz; boys from the neighbourhood, mostly orphans, who Kinjah trains in mountain biking and road cycling, but also teaches them to repair bikes so they can sustain themselves. Froome and Kinjah hit it off remarkably well. “Chris was a quick learner, easy going and soon became as passionate about cycling as I am.”

https://www.compassmedia.nl/feature-post/the-kenyan-mentor-of-chris-froome/

Love it that the rim brake won over them all! proves that its still a big 'if' in road racing! The marketing guys must all be on leave... LOL. 

The career of four-time tour winner Chris Froome started thousands of miles away in a tiny village on the outskirts of Nairobi. Kenyan professional cyclist David Kinjah took him on trips through the mountains and injected him with the cycling virus.

While it has been fifteen years ago, David Kinjah (40) remembers it like it was yesterday. “After one of my races, a shy blond kid with a BMX-bike asked whether I wanted to teach him mountain biking. This little boy was Chris Froome.”

The then 12-years-old Froome, grandson of British emigrants, lived with his single mother, Jane Froome, in a small, one bedroom apartment in Nairobi. She had no car, no money and worked multiple jobs in order to survive. “Because she didn’t know what to do with her son on school holidays, she asked if he could stay with me for those weeks.”

And so Froome became part of the Safari Simbaz; boys from the neighbourhood, mostly orphans, who Kinjah trains in mountain biking and road cycling, but also teaches them to repair bikes so they can sustain themselves. Froome and Kinjah hit it off remarkably well. “Chris was a quick learner, easy going and soon became as passionate about cycling as I am.”

Come on.... Using extremes as examples is cheap! hahahaha

It 'can' happen, but still a white guy, and not a base which shares oppotunity and creates interest by changing the perception and image of cycling.

I don't think anyone is saying 'there should be more black people in the peleton next year'. People are asking the question why an established sport like cycling and the pinnacle event in road cycling is so  badly representative and what possibly needs to happen to change it.

Let's not get hung up on the miracle stories or one off examples. 

Cycling is poorly representative and as stated, that is largely due to historical image and thus, a lack of interest.

What can cycling do to change that? Do they want to? 

THOSE are the questions being asked. Well that's how I see it anyway. I don't think anyone is suggesting that there be a BBEE program to fast track anyone, but is there something world cycling can do to create interest AND opportunity for a different demographic...

Have met David and his sidekick Davidson on a few occasions.Good guys with a superb sense of humour.

No entirely true... as Chris Froom will concur.

Nice to see the many diverse riders at the SPUR schools MTB series.

People bringing in trailers full of bikes, combis full of you riders.

All age groups ....

Male and female riders ...

The few on their execessivly expensive bikes, many on entry level bikes, and even more on hand-me-down bikes (riders of all races)

Even schools bringing groups of kids simply to watch the days racing, hoping to instill a love for the sport.

The real irony .... sicial media is the biggest hurdle .... most schools have STRICT social media policies !! No teacher may post pics promoting these events. Information may only be passed on to the parents via school approved channels .... so unless the parent buys into cycling the kid wont ever see the promotional data sent to the schools ....

O.well, there ARE dedicated teachers, and some parents, out there trying there best to promote cycling at schools level... and then we get TOLD not to promote and sporting events of which the date clashes with other schools events ...

SA is a country of ball sports .... promoting cycling is DIFFICULT ...

Love it that the rim brake won over them all! proves that its still a big 'if' in road racing! The marketing guys must all be on leave... LOL.

Yeah, the guys did so much braking up the mountain on that time trial.

Edited by Patchelicious

Yeah, the guys did so much breaking up the mountain on that time trail.

After climbing that hill so stupidly fast Pog could have done with better brakes after the finish line. He went flying straight past his team

After climbing that hill so stupidly fast Pog could have done with better brakes after the finish line. He went flying straight past his team

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Yeah, the guys did so much breaking up the mountain on that time trail.

Yeah he couldve gone faster had they just taken the brakes off.

Mmm I am also almost sure Colnago were the first to introduce disks to Road Bikes..(I could be wrong though [emoji848])

Something like 88 riders crashed on that first or one of the first stages that was so wet.  Wonder how many of them were on Disc brakes and how many rim brakes.  ;)

I try stay out of political/religious debates, but one thing sprung to mind earlier:

Are the other ethnic groups around the world complaining about non-inclusive participation, eg. Asian, Arabs, Hindus, etc.? Or is it just one specific ethnic group that feels this way?

I try stay out of political/religious debates, but one thing sprung to mind earlier:

Are the other ethnic groups around the world complaining about non-inclusive participation, eg. Asian, Arabs, Hindus, etc.? Or is it just one specific ethnic group that feels this way?

I don't think anyone was complaining. I think it was just noticed and questioned as to how 'vanilla' the peleton was at the TDF.

I don't think anyone was complaining. I think it was just noticed and questioned as to how 'vanilla' the peleton was at the TDF.

I get that, but it isn't only cycling, and involves other sports too.

Have you seen how ‘vanilla’ the Argus or 94.7 are?