DURA-ACE 9100 VS SRAM RED 22

Veebee

Dura-Ace 9100 vs Sram Red 22, which would you pick and why ? Looking at purchasing from abroad so the prices are amost the same.

Have owned ultegra 6800, ultegra8000 and ultegra Di2

Never ridden Sram before

Go...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough one. I have force and dura ace 9000. Shimano front derailleur shifting is crisp and accurate but the lever throw is too far to be comfortable for me.

SRAM rear shifting is faster and more accurate over bumpy terrain.

My SRAM is couple of years older and shows little sign of rust whereas the dura ace is already corroding after just 4 years of use.

The rear derailleur jockey pulley cage has been replaced twice and not covered under warranty.

Next group set is likely going to be SRAM. Durability and consistency of performance has proven to be superior in my experience. Of course campagnolo would be my first choice if it didn’t cost so much more and had decent backup in SA

Weight weenies would go for SRAM otherwise Dura-ace is king. For similar price (I think) I would go for R8050 Ultegra DI2.

They are both good groupsets, you won't go wrong with either!

The main difference is the shifting mechanism - SRAM has the double tap and allows you to bring the shifting lever to the bar (useful when in the drops), whereas shimano uses both "paddles".

Red is also lighter...

Weight weenies would go for SRAM otherwise Dura-ace is king. For similar price (I think) I would go for R8050 Ultegra DI2.

sticking to mechanical... Di2 is nice but not for me.

Have the 9000 and the Red 22, prefer the 9000.  Red22 takes a bit of getting use to with the double tap

As said above, if you want weight weenie then Red22.  Although my 9000 i have changed the brake calipers to weight weenie Zero Gravity OG brakes, so the groupset now weighs less than my Red 22.

Personally I would consider the 9100

Edited by shaper

Can't understand why you would rule out Di2 ... battery anxiety?... hard to quick hack if you have a failure?

The latest generation Di2 is simply brilliant. If your buying a new road group-set and have the budget, Di2 Ultegra is almost a no-brainer imho. Super crisp, robust, auto-trim, perfect shifting - looks so much cleaner with only 1 little wire. I haven't tried SRAM, but with internal cable routing which you need for the brakes anyhow I don't have a reason to.

That's my biased opinion - I changed both my road bikes to Ultegra Di2 R8070, ride and forget (charge battery every 2 months, but I'm charging lights, power meters etc anyhow).

Can't understand why you would rule out Di2 ... battery anxiety?... hard to quick hack if you have a failure?

The latest generation Di2 is simply brilliant. If your buying a new road group-set and have the budget, Di2 Ultegra is almost a no-brainer imho. Super crisp, robust, auto-trim, perfect shifting - looks so much cleaner with only 1 little wire. I haven't tried SRAM, but with internal cable routing which you need for the brakes anyhow I don't have a reason to.

That's my biased opinion - I changed both my road bikes to Ultegra Di2 R8070, ride and forget (charge battery every 2 months, but I'm charging lights, power meters etc anyhow).

As mentioned above, I've used Di2 previously. Its good but my preference is mechanical.

As mentioned above, I've used Di2 previously. Its good but my preference is mechanical.

I am VERY curious why you prefer mechanical.  You are the first I know off.

Dura-Ace 9100 vs Sram Red 22, which would you pick and why ? Looking at purchasing from abroad so the prices are amost the same.

Have owned ultegra 6800, ultegra8000 and ultegra Di2

Never ridden Sram before

Go...

What do I ride?

SRAM.

What would I go for?

Shimano.

Better RSA support. 

Better brakes. 

Availability of spares at LBS. 

Cheaper on maintenance ie. cassettes and chains

call me crazy, I dont know... I just prefer the old school feel of using mechanical.

Yes Di2 is smoother, easier to shift etc but after having sold my Di2 bike about 2 years back I never had that feeling of wanting it again.

@Spinnekop - are you riding SRAM Etap?

What do I ride?

SRAM.

What would I go for?

Shimano.

Better RSA support. 

Better brakes. 

Availability of spares at LBS. 

Cheaper on maintenance ie. cassettes and chains

call me crazy, I dont know... I just prefer the old school feel of using mechanical.

Yes Di2 is smoother, easier to shift etc but after having sold my Di2 bike about 2 years back I never had that feeling of wanting it again.

I hear you. The shifting of mechanical systems is so well evolved and developed that electronic systems really do become a case wanting the tech for display rights.

so is it friday yet? any way ill get my snacks this could get ugly

Dude, have your popcorn and chill...

shoo, im the other one ,

i prefer the grab and go ........ im too worried the silly battery is flat or the bike decides its feeling a bit off like my cell phone some days