First Ascent Launch Their Premium Podium Cycling Bib

News bot

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uhm ja,nee.

I'm all for local and what not, but at that price I'd rather get Ciovita or Giordana

I actually got to try out the new top-of-the-line Podium bibs and some of the jerseys on the road and a race or two and can honestly say that it rivals any similarly priced kit that I've worn before, both local and international!

This is definitely a massive leap forward from the First Ascent of old and I'm not saying the other brands are bad/worse, but I'd give it a shot...

I actually got to try out the new top-of-the-line Podium bibs and some of the jerseys on the road and a race or two and can honestly say that it rivals any similarly priced kit that I've worn before, both local and international!

This is definitely a massive leap forward from the First Ascent of old and I'm not saying the other brands are bad/worse, but I'd give it a shot...

How do you try out a bib?haha

Was this something First Ascent gave to you?

I am on Fanie's side, that's a hectic amount of money to pay for something to give it a shot. 

Cheaper than Ciovita's top end Apex bib short, at least... but still more than double the most expensive item in my cycling closet.

I am on Fanie's side, that's a hectic amount of money to pay for something to give it a shot. 

I tested a number of different samples throughout the development process.

When it comes to bibs, you do get what you pay for though, right? I'd much rather pay R1999 for a pair of bibs but know that the chamois won't collapse or the fabric won't turn see-through after a few rides.

Have you seen what other local brands charge for their top-of-the-line bibs with Italian fabrics and Chamois??

Cheaper than Ciovita's top end Apex bib short, at least... but still more than double the most expensive item in my cycling closet.

They've got a whole range of stuff, so something for everyone...

When it comes to bibs, you do get what you pay for though, right? I'd much rather pay R1999 for a pair of bibs but know that the chamois won't collapse or the fabric won't turn see-through after a few rides.

the price never justifies quality...

The hype around Ciovita was crazy... yeah their stuff is good but I have a Corsa bib [R1500] and the chamois is on its last legs after only 8 months, and this too probably only being used once a week as I have various other bibs.

Completely understand where you're coming from.

I have had, well still do have a pair of assos t mille bibs which are fantastic but the fabric started wearing after a year, which is cray to me. So a company can boast about whatever fabric they like, if assos will wear in a year I am sure the rest will. That's just my perception after dealing with that so each to their own.

You never know, FA could be worth it. But i think you would only know after a long term test.

the price never justifies quality...

The hype around Ciovita was crazy... yeah their stuff is good but I have a Corsa bib [R1500] and the chamois is on its last legs after only 8 months, and this too probably only being used once a week as I have various other bibs.

What I meant was that going for top-of-the-range bibs often warrants the extra cash over mid/entry level bibs. Obviously it depends on the user and the purpose, but saying that R1999 is too much for top-of-the-range bibs with all the features seems a bit off...

I've worn a lot of fA bibs, over long distances.

Mainly because I'm a cheapskate, and buy them at their madness sales for R50-R100 each. probably gone through about 10 pairs in total. the fabric starts becoming a bit transparent before the chamois is done. if you want to sit on my wheel, you get that view.

Haven't had any issues really, and while that's just me, this is their older stuff. If they've improved their goods I wouldn't dismiss them without any real life feedback.

Completely understand where you're coming from.

I have had, well still do have a pair of assos t mille bibs which are fantastic but the fabric started wearing after a year, which is cray to me. So a company can boast about whatever fabric they like, if assos will wear in a year I am sure the rest will. That's just my perception after dealing with that so each to their own.

You never know, FA could be worth it. But i think you would only know after a long term test.

That's also true, very few things in cycling are made to last for more than a season or two these days, so if I can get something that's comfortable and works the way it's supposed to, I'm smiling!

I've worn a lot of fA bibs, over long distances.

Mainly because I'm a cheapskate, and buy them at their madness sales for R50-R100 each. probably gone through about 10 pairs in total. the fabric starts becoming a bit transparent before the chamois is done. if you want to sit on my wheel, you get that view.

Haven't had any issues really, and while that's just me, this is their older stuff. If they've improved their goods I wouldn't dismiss them without any real life feedback.

Those sales really are madness! And a good deal stays a good deal! I've also been down that road with those older bibs and I can honestly tell you that these new ones are in totally different league! The comfort and fit makes all the difference!

Yeah that price point is going to be tricky. 

The Ciovita custom bib we have made lasts pretty well. The 2016 i have had the chamois replaced with the newer one and they keep on going. 

Yeah that price point is going to be tricky. 

The Ciovita custom bib we have made lasts pretty well. The 2016 i have had the chamois replaced with the newer one and they keep on going. 

Where in the range do yours fit?? Regarding amount of time the Podiums will last, we'll see, but the fit and finish is great and I have high hopes....