[Event] Stanford MTB Classic

Overberg MTB Events

Event Name: Stanford MTB Classic
When: 29 February 2020 - 1 March 2020
Where: Stanford Valley Guest Farm, Western Cape
Category: MTB

On the weekend of the 29th February & 1st of March 2020 mountain bikers are invited to gather for two days of MTB fun at the Stanford MTB Classic. An event where entrants set their own personal goals, and to us everyone is a winner! For the racing snakes who need a challenge and reward, STRAVA sections will be incorporated on the routes, and prizes will go to the overall winner of the Ladies and Men’s categories. This way everybody gets to have a good time on their Mountain bikes. The event boasts an amazing relaxed country village atmosphere, spectacularly scenic riding through fynbos and farmlands, and is hosted by the well-known and sought after Stanford Valley Guest farm. Be sure to join in the festivities at Stanford Valley.

It is an event for avid mountain bikers looking to reconnect with the by-gone spirit of the sport. For those who know how to have fun on and off their bikes. Mountain biking families can gather at Stanford Valley and the fitter members can ride the longer routes while the less serious can cruise through the short courses. Our aim is to create a relaxed vibe and experience on the bike, but do not underestimate the challenge of the route. Riders need to have a reasonable level of fitness and skill to participate.

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a nice two-day event, even one-day options for those that cant attend both days.

Would love to hear from those that have done it before.

I was fortunate to be invited on 1 of the recce rides for some new sections that have been built. Very nice Start/Finish venue. We rode about a 26km loop of mostly new trails and singletracks and it was very nice riding with good flow and enough places to pass slower traffic. It is a beautiful area to ride and i can highly recommend. The entry fee for 2 days of solid riding is also very good value for money, considering what some 1-day events cost.

I was fortunate to be invited on 1 of the recce rides for some new sections that have been built. Very nice Start/Finish venue. We rode about a 26km loop of mostly new trails and singletracks and it was very nice riding with good flow and enough places to pass slower traffic. It is a beautiful area to ride and i can highly recommend. The entry fee for 2 days of solid riding is also very good value for money, considering what some 1-day events cost.

Thank you.

YES, the entry fees are VERY reasonably.  Even cheap in comparison to other 2 day events.  Wife is joining me for the weekend, so we booked a spot in Stanford.

I entered the Lite routes for both days.  Distances are not an issue .... but doing that type of climbing is bucket list stuff for me ...  :thumbup:   :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

My Mate the racing Garden Gnome and I will b entering, we look forward to the local wines like Rakka and Gabriels Kloof, visiting the Oudemeul Bakery and squashing a few Birkenhead beers and Pasta from La tratoria.

epicriderone

Entered, paid for the event, even got nice accommodation in Standford as my wife is joining me for the weekend (not the ride) ....

On Friday my knee packed up during a ride of the Hermanus trails ...  :thumbdown:   :wacko:

Seeing a physio on Monday morning.  HOPING for some miracle cure .....

• 3 weeks later...

To those doing this event - ENJOY !!

And PLEASE post lots of pictures.

Sadly this will remain a bucket list item for now ....

I must sit out due to a torn meniscus.

PS - anybody know the process of transferring my entry to another person ?

• 4 weeks later...

Some stats of the event:

- Approximately 260 entrants.

- 8 ebikes doing the long distance, with another 7 doing the short distance.

- 30 farmers opening up their land to make this event possible.

- 3 trail builders spent more than two months on the linking trails.  They are part of the crew working on the W@W and Epic trails.

- 2 of these gentlemen rode as sweepers.

- 2 water points on the long route.  The second being next to the restaurant at Stanford hills, affording the family and support crew the opportunity to see their riders along the route.  It was impressive to see the rate at which this water point was continually re-stocked.  Fresh water and bags of ice to keep the riders going for that last 10km into a gail force wind …  

post-110956-0-78220200-1583081875_thumb.jpg

A true family event

post-110956-0-24811200-1583081893_thumb.jpg

ebikes lining up for the long distance start

post-110956-0-27024800-1583081919_thumb.jpg

and the race has officially started

post-110956-0-93858300-1583081948_thumb.jpg

nearly 200 riders lining up for the long distance start

post-110956-0-59205400-1583081981_thumb.jpg

The trail builders, and sweepers for the event

post-110956-0-78711100-1583082049_thumb.jpg

Short distance riders heading out ...

post-110956-0-35002000-1583082093_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-97359500-1583082123_thumb.jpg

2nd water point ready and waiting for the riders.  The young lady did not understand when the first 10 riders came blasting through without even slowing down .... and then the riders started stopping to fill their water bottles and for some refreshments

post-110956-0-67213200-1583082148_thumb.jpg

Race leaders blasting through ...

post-110956-0-30016600-1583082266_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-01314800-1583082314_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-49704600-1583082337_thumb.jpg

more ice and some more water ....

post-110956-0-47137500-1583082366_thumb.jpg

when the last two ladies left waterpoint two the tables were still almost full.  The young lady was simply superb in keeping the table going.

Sunday 1 March 2020 .... more of the royal treatment

post-110956-0-06923600-1583082492_thumb.jpg

It was a busy weekend, with many races to chose from, but this certainly was a brilliant event !!  One which we are sure to support in 2021.