Centurion to Sandton commute

boesman88

Hi all

I am contemplating commuting with my MTB from Highveld to Sandton - will be offroad mostly for safety.   What would be the best route for this?

I was thinking of:

1. taking Olivenhoutbosch Rd from Highveld,

2. then take the Old Jhb/Old Pta Main (riding next to the road of course) and carry on all the way to Buccleugh

3. Use Maxwell to get to the Woodmead side

4. Work my way from Woodmead to Sandton via Bowling Ave.

Anyone else doing this commute?

cheers

Just my 2c: Avoid old JHB/Old Pta Main, Taxis frequently use the emergency lanes, and the section over the Jukskei, just before Maxwell is quite dangerous and narrow. 

I would rather suggest: Olivenhoutbosch->Nellmapius->Rooihuiskraal->Lever->14th (passing Vodaworld)->3rd->Bekker->Waterfall (Passing Mall of Africa)->Van Der Bijl->Bowling.

Thanks JanJan - looks like a great alternative - although I will probably get lost a few times initially.

The fact that in SA we have to even worry about taxis getting you while you cycle NEXT TO the road is really sad. 

You know what I would do if I was you? 

Use the service road next to the Gautrain line  :whistling:. I have not checked and confirmed that there's no restrictions but I reckon it's a bloody good idea - I will ave a look this afternoon 

Just my 2c: Avoid old JHB/Old Pta Main, Taxis frequently use the emergency lanes, and the section over the Jukskei, just before Maxwell is quite dangerous and narrow. 

I would rather suggest: Olivenhoutbosch->Nellmapius->Rooihuiskraal->Lever->14th (passing Vodaworld)->3rd->Bekker->Waterfall (Passing Mall of Africa)->Van Der Bijl->Bowling.

Yeah I agree with watching taxi's...unfortunately where you may think it is a safe shoulder they will utilise it in traffic.

This is the only plausible route I could stomach!  I'd suggest driving it with a car in peak traffic first, just to get a feel for it and decide if you'd feel safe on the bike.

I used to drive these routes if there was an accident on the highway - also lived in Centurion and worked in Sandton.  The R101 is too dangerous for cyclists.

You know what I would do if I was you? 

Use the service road next to the Gautrain line  :whistling:. I have not checked and confirmed that there's no restrictions but I reckon it's a bloody good idea - I will ave a look this afternoon 

I was thinking about this yesterday - in fact, was wondering if one could approach Gautrain and come to some sort of arrangement for cyclists to make use of it in an official way - I know may who would jump at the opportunity to use a safe road for cycling. 

If anyone is 'connected' with the Gautrain authorities, please let me know... :-)

I was thinking about this yesterday - in fact, was wondering if one could approach Gautrain and come to some sort of arrangement for cyclists to make use of it in an official way - I know may who would jump at the opportunity to use a safe road for cycling. 

If anyone is 'connected' with the Gautrain authorities, please let me know... :-)

Doubtful, the moment you open it to the public vagrants and criminals become Gautrain's problem.  But certainly worth a shot.

i agree with JanJan re the section before Maxwell drive. However, i use Old Jhb road or R101 on my commute from Woodmead to Centurion Eco Park without issues. Maybe because i travel against rush hour morning and afternoon traffic? Just stick to gravel and you should be okay

Oh ja i remember now  :oops:

R101 south between Allendale and Jukskei river in the morning is a nooooooo go area. Taxis and motorists use the cordoned off emergency lane 

How much time do you have in the mornings or before and after work to explore? I have found a route that looks to me like a winner but on Google maps there's a gate that I'm not 100% if it's opened during the day. 

O first - the service road next to the train tracks is a no-go. It looks like Fort Knox at some places but here's what I have found that may just work: 

• Olievenhoutbosch rd from Highveld
  • Turn left into the North Rand Training centre (no clue if this will be allowed) 
  • Turn left immediately again (you're now cycling back towards John Vorster)
  • Now this is where I'm not 100% sure, there's a pedestrian gate on maps, once through it you'll be on Bally James Duff ave
  • The rest then is as per the route I plotted on Strava  :thumbup:

I think the name is quite fitting  :whistling:.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22320546