Strava dropping BLE device support?

Cois

Why would one do something like this?

When you record a workout on Strava, it’s our job to make sure your effort is captured accurately and reliably. We recently discovered that pairing Bluetooth heart rate monitors and power meters directly with the app is causing Strava to crash for millions of athletes — most of whom don’t even use these kinds of sensors. So to significantly improve the stability of the app, we’ll no longer support direct Bluetooth and ANT+ device pairing as of October 28th, 2019.

If you record activities using a GPS watch or bike computer, this change will not affect you at all. But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. We know that even small changes in your routine or equipment can make a big difference, so we appreciate your understanding.

Here’s to your efforts making it into the books. Every time.

The Strava Team

I have a Wahoo device, but gives me more problems than Strava.

It drops a lot of the data (like HRM data and Speed Data) in the Wahoo Application so I have always used Strava as a backup.

Guess I will try to sort the Wahoo Mini crap out before the BT Drop

Yep, it sucks. I use a Garmin HRM with my phone. I've disabled updates for Strava, so hopefully the old app will keep allowing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Since strava dropped BLE ffor heart rate monitors im looking to at new ways to record rides with heart rate monitors and upload to strava. Polar beat works great but it doesn't have a live GPS location the family can track me on while im out like strava beacon. What other apps can I use that will upload to strava and give a live beacon i can share to family? I dont have a bike computer.

They did it for one simple reason, greed.

Sales are down for the makers of the computers because everyone is using their phone. A meeting gets held between them and the Strava gang where they offer a percentage of all new sales to them for not supporting the phones. Sales go up, everyone is happy, except for all those people previously using their phones.

Just looked on Strava and they say:

Beacon: Peace of mind for athletes and their loved ones.
Turn on Beacon and you can share your location in real time with your friend, partner, parent, coach, butler, therapist, highly intelligent dog - anyone cool enough to have your back in an emergency.

So although no BLE interaction to phone, Strava will track and share.
Some software makes you press a button to send your position to others so not sure in this case.
This also might mean riding with two devices in future??

yeah i know i can still use beacon on strava but i want heart rate with my rides so i can see what hr was at n certain point, now i have to run strava beacon and polar for hr, double batery drain for two aps,

I will look at endomondo thanks

Get yourself an ANT+ dongle with a USB extension cable if need be.

Mine literally sits under my bike when I ride on the trainer and I've never had any issues.

It's money well spent.

Hi all

Since strava dropped BLE ffor heart rate monitors im looking to at new ways to record rides with heart rate monitors and upload to strava. Polar beat works great but it doesn't have a live GPS location the family can track me on while im out like strava beacon. What other apps can I use that will upload to strava and give a live beacon i can share to family? I dont have a bike computer.

Just use whatsapp. There is an option to share live location to a group or individual in whatsapp. I use it when I travel longer distances by car so that my wife knows where I am.

They did it for one simple reason, greed.

Sales are down for the makers of the computers because everyone is using their phone. A meeting gets held between them and the Strava gang where they offer a percentage of all new sales to them for not supporting the phones. Sales go up, everyone is happy, except for all those people previously using their phones.

Is this fact or are you guessing?

At one stage, no idea if it has changed since, Strava charged device makers a licensing fee. This actually led to some manufacturers removing the features from some devices.

Given the low percentage of Strava users that pay for the Summit features, I wouldn't be surprised if they make more money from Garmin etc. for integrating with Strava. So, yes Strava wins, but probably in a less conspiracy-theory way...

What beats me is how other apps can work fine with external sensors, yet Strava removes the feature "because it was breaking the app even for people not using sensors". WHAT?! What on earth was the programmer doing to achieve this? Poor foundation leading to a wonky house on top.

Get yourself an ANT+ dongle with a USB extension cable if need be.

Mine literally sits under my bike when I ride on the trainer and I've never had any issues.

It's money well spent.

Ant+ is also not supported anymore.

• 2 weeks later...