Trek TOP FUEL 9.9 2019 review

Lehane

I've had my Top Fuel 9.9, 2019 now for three months, just long enough to experience the bike during racing, training and playing.

I'm blown away by the capabilities of this racing machine. I've done two provincial marathon races on it, and one stage race, and managed to finish on the podium every time.

I enjoy climbing, in my books a mountain bike MUST be able to climb comfortably and fast. I've experienced faster segment times on this bike going uphill. Probably because it is slightly under 10kg out of the box.  It also has great traction because of the seat position over the rear wheel. The efficiency on rugged terrain when the rear shock is in use, is exactly what you need on technical climbs. I definitely experience better control and balance over rocky climbs, no need to unclip and put a foot out. The stiffness of the rear shock when locked out on the other hand, makes it fly on a smooth climbing surface.

I believe the fast rolling of the carbon rims adds to uphill speed as well. I get the general feel of becoming part of the bike instead of just sitting on top of it.

The TOP FUEL 9.9 impresses me the most when  descending, whether it is over rocks, single track or open farm roads.

I did not have extra skill training lessons, but it looks like it and feels like it. I'm much faster on any terrain and around corners. The big difference for me is the way my balance was instantly better when I got on the bike. The geometry of the bicycle "works" perfectly when it comes to weight distribution and stability. I've tested it numerous times on STRAVA, and every time with the same result. Even though I feel that I'm taking lesser risks and feeling smoother and maybe slower, I'm going MUCH faster. I love that idea!!

I've also noticed that the TOP FUEL 9.9 loves flying!!! It definitely floats further through the air on jumps and lands very smoothly even though it  only has100mm of shock suspension in front and rear. That being said, I haven't tried BIG downhill jumps and drops, just the ordinary you'd find on trails.

Being able to ride downhill so much smoother had a fantastic effect on my confidence level which by itself makes me faster and safer on the trails.

The TOP FUEL 9.9 has exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to ride to more podiums on it!!.

Thank you BestBikes Durbanville for believing in me and taking hands with me in this incredible journey of getting faster and inspiring other women to do the same while we are having fun.

Are you sponsored or did you buy the bike voluntarily?

It's great you're doing so well but that is an essential point to clarify for your review.

"sponsored" rider but she's definitely looking more comfortable on her Trek than she did on her Scott

keep those results coming Lehane! :clap:

Edited by DieselnDust

• 1 year later...

Hi Lehane if you had to pick between the Top Fuel and the Supercalibre what would it be? I have the Top Fuel exactly like yours but a 34 fox front fork.

Not sure if Lehane will.pick up the query after this time. But the current Top Fuel is pretty different to the older 2018/19 models. Geometry and suspension then was very much towards fast XC. Now it's more mixed with longer suspension and longer slacker trail geometry as well. Supercaliber is more XC race orientated. Light, fast, quick climbing. Top Fuel is far better on rough, fast descents. Lots of good reviews out there.

Edited by MudLark