Relocating to Durbanville

Rob_Lions

Hi all,

We are relocating from centurion to Pinehurst; where do we start in exploring the trails? We normally ride redbarn, northern farms and buffelsdrift. I saw there is a active community on facebook for tygerberg trails; do they offer group rides?

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

You wont be sorry, you are moving to MTB heaven. Here is the clubs website: https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/ there is over 150km of trails in total. From Pinehurst its about 5-7km ride to Meerdendal which is one of the farms with intermediate trails. There is also group rides that leave Pinehurst shopping center in the mornings @5am before work for a quick 1.5hr ride.

Cheers Paul

Possible route combinations are endless.

Playground for proper stage race enthusiast.

Nothing to see here, Rob.

Lots of snakes, cows, rocks and even sheep.

And those thorns...

hahaha  :whistling:  :whistling:

Welcome Rob, as said before we have loads of trails for different levels. The farms are accessible without being a member although all the connecting trails between farms are for members only, you will find a map on the clubs site. I don't know about group rides other than the thursday night rides at Bloemendal, it could be a nice introduction ;)

Edited by Jbr

If you want to join group rides, join the slow coach group on Facebook. Or you are welcome to join us on a Saturday morning. We cover a couple of the farms on a ride and you are just a stone throw away.

I stayed near there for a year and was amazing to have so many lekker trails in your backyard! I found that once you left home early in the morning for weekend rides, you'd only return late afternoon because the farms are all next to each other, so you think "why not" and keep riding all day.

Your first point of business after unpacking your house should be to get a Tygerberg MTB club membership. This opens up a world of awesome trails, some of which are members only. Also, living in Pinehurst, you are not too far away from Bottelary, Jonkers, Helderberg trails, Paarl, Wellington, even Tokai is a short(ish) drive. You are going to be so spoilt for choice.

Welcome to MTB heaven. There is little wonder that the Cape Epic hangs around for so long.

And after getting your TGMTB membership, and with you staying in Pinehurst, join up with the Sportsworld early morning training group, starting at 05h00 from the Pinehurst Shopping Centre. They do a weekly Mtb ride on the local dirt roads, and some days they even do parts of the trails.

Edited by Wannabe

On another topic. Snakes.

This is their most active period now. You are likely to come across Cape Cobra's, Mole Snakes, Puffy's, and a host of others, including Boomslang and some smaller species. Keep your eyes open, and give them a wide berth. You should be fine if you just stay calm when you see one and let them go on with their business.

WELCOME Rob

The trails allows for all types of riding !

From pump tracks for the kids, to very mild beginner trails, and many more trails for those that want some distance and/or technical sections.

Contermanskloof - drive there with your car, enjoy the trail, then enjoy something at the Dairyshed.  Cyclists only, so a nice vibe.

Bloemendal - nice central spot, linking to many of the other trails, with a wide variety of trails on the farm it self.  BioSport has a decent "tuck-shop", with cold beers.  BonAmi restaurant is an option, though not popular with the cyclists ...

Meerendal - nice trails !  Carlucci sees a LOT of cyclists !!  Full restaurant.  (just be patient, this is not a fast food outlet.....)  Next door, still on the farm, CROWN is a more upmarket restaurant.  Both offers a perfect place if you have friends along for the day, that dont want to cycle.  They can have a coffee while have fun on the trails.  My wife LOVES this place !!

For "real cycling" .... cycle from your house.  Get onto the trails close to where you stay, use the linking trails between the farms - open to members only.  And map out your route for the day.  From my house to Meerendal, trails, Traverse to Bloemendal, some more linking trails, and a final section back home gives me a solid 52km ride for the morning.  My more typical Sunday morning solo ride is just over 30km, including the most scenic routes !!  :thumbup:   :clap: