Amashova 2019 BL crash

Khamil

Hi Guys,

My brother was in the Amashova BL group on Sunday. He crashed and was taken to hospital by ambulance with a broken wrist and facial fractures. He cannot remember what happened; if anyone else came down with him?

He thinks it was about 20km from the finish. The bunch he was in was averaging about 36km/hr.

He was wearing Team Sky kit. He has a red Trek Emonda.

Would appreciate any response from anyone who saw what happened.

Thanks.

I saw him on the side of the road being attended to.  Must have happened a few minutes before I got there.  I think it was just after Pinetown long before the Paradise Valley split, if I recall.

Hi Guys,

My brother was in the Amashova BL group on Sunday. He crashed and was taken to hospital by ambulance with a broken wrist and facial fractures. He cannot remember what happened; if anyone else came down with him?

He thinks it was about 20km from the finish. The bunch he was in was averaging about 36km/hr.

He was wearing Team Sky kit. He has a red Trek Emonda.

Would appreciate any response from anyone who saw what happened.

Thanks.

Is he okay, as in "will he require facial surgery"?

According to a club mate, it happened next to him, but he didn't see how it happen. A touch of wheels was suspected, but not confirmed.

I saw him on the side of the road being attended to.  Must have happened a few minutes before I got there.  I think it was just after Pinetown long before the Paradise Valley split, if I recall.

Thanks for the response Dazshell, much appreciated.

Is he okay, as in "will he require facial surgery"?

According to a club mate, it happened next to him, but he didn't see how it happen. A touch of wheels was suspected, but not confirmed.

Thanks for the response Frosty. We also suspect a wheel touch, cause there is virtually no damage to his bike. His Garmin shows it happened at 86km.

Fortunately, despite the wrist fracture and a few facial fractures, he doesn't need any major facial surgery. Its been a bit of an ordeal, but he has been very lucky. It could've been much worse.

We are grateful to the people that assisted him next to the road.

Hi Khamil

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, i was in the group riding with him, he was just behind me on the right, so i didn't see what happened, but according to someone who was behind me,

"the guy next to him came across him so he had to also move left not knowing u were next to him. So he crossed ur back wheel but we were in such a speed that he lost control of his front wheel n went crashing. I just missed him cos he fell in front of me"

Hope he's gonna be okay, 

Edited by rdadabhay

Hi Khamil

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, i was in the group riding with him, he was just behind me on the right, so i didn't see what happened, but according to someone who was behind me,

"the guy next to him came across him so he had to also move left not knowing u were next to him. So he crossed ur back wheel but we were in such a speed that he lost control of his front wheel n went crashing. I just missed him cos he fell in front of me"

Hope he's gonna be okay, 

Thanks for letting us know rdhadabay. I think it clarifies what happened. My brother has been trying to remember, so this will help him.  He obviously took a heavy knock to the head, so the doctors are still monitoring him, but I think he is going to be ok.

I think the lessons here are to wear a good helmet and for everyone in the bunch to keep their lines.

I think the lessons here are to wear a good helmet and for everyone in the bunch to keep their lines.

Sorry to be a Box here, but it is not so much everybody keep their lines, rather you need to be aware of where you are in a bunch. You, unfortunately, need to to make provision for someone in front of you changing lines. The only way that someone in front of you changing lines has an impact on you is if you are not concentration or half wheeling.

There is no point is shouting hold you line in a bunch as it will have no effect at best or cause someone to NOT hold their line.

Prevention is better than cure.

Sorry to be a Box here, but it is not so much everybody keep their lines, rather you need to be aware of where you are in a bunch. You, unfortunately, need to to make provision for someone in front of you changing lines. The only way that someone in front of you changing lines has an impact on you is if you are not concentration or half wheeling.

There is no point is shouting hold you line in a bunch as it will have no effect at best or cause someone to NOT hold their line.

Prevention is better than cure.

Have to agree with you here.

You need to check your front wheel like a hawk, that is the single most dangerous part of your bike that you have control over. Keep it away from others and your odds of staying upright is dramatically improved.

Positioning within the bunch also helps allot. If you spend more time at the front doing pulls then it also reduces your risk. If you can barely hang on to the bunch, well then you might have over-estimated your abilities...

Sorry to the guy that fell, hope he recovers quickly. Sometimes you can do everything right and you just have bad luck with things conspiring against you.

Happy Friday everyone.

Sorry to hear about your boet OP.

I'm a relative beginner to group riding (about 4 years since my first race) and after initially being convinced that everyone should hold their line in the group I have gradually come to believe similarly to TDFN and Swift and Aero above.

That having been said - back where I ride, PPA batch D or E, there are sometimes riders who behave very erratically in the bunch. 

Maybe, at least in these slower groups we should all realise that our fates are pretty much interwoven, the racing stakes are low and the health stakes are high and we should all try to ride in a relatively straight line?

Also riding a bike at 30 plus kmph average with 40 or 50 others spaced centimeters apart is an inherently high risk activity and sh1ts likely to happen.

Glad he's not too seriously hurt - I've not had a group crash and touching wood, I sincerely hope never to have one.

Shew some of you must have incredible skills at 86km

No way I’m anywhere near another bike at close to that speed - I don’t need to move up to 2777th place that much

My Hollywood face is too important to me

It happened at the 86km mark..

I passed by a few minutes after the crash, I am very happy to hear that the outcome was not worse, it looked pretty bad and our bunch was very quiet for a while.

Cycling can be a dangerous sport and there is not much you can do if someone else does something stupid or loses concentration while the bunch is going full gas. You react and hope for the best. As the groups get faster, the rider skills get better, generally. But I see even in the professional bunches there are certain riders with a reputation for being dangerous. So being in a fast bunch is no guarantee.

I have never had the privilege / honor to ride in a bunch, even on road races I've done in the past. It's a psychological thing for me, the moment I ride next to someone I adopt their pace and end up freaking out and bombing  :eek:. It's the weirdest thing, even if I just go on a group ride on the mtb I cant do it, my HR is through the roof and I pedal like a 5 year old. 

If I pedal alone I can pedal for the whole day almost  :wacko: