Best Gravel Rides in the Cape

Mountain Bru

Good Day good people of the hub!

I'm planning a gravel tour in December that'll probably start either in Cape Town or Stellenbosch. I'm planning on doing around 100km a day, for 4 or 5 days, but I'm pretty flexible at this point both in terms of distance and days. 

Problem is that I'm a proper Vaalie and don't know the Cape that well. Do you guys have any suggestions on the best gravel roads or routes to ride in the area? I don't plan on doing a loop, so pretty much anything in a 400km radius is an option at this stage. 

Thanks

The Cape Cross route Dusty posted is a good option

You can also consider incorporating more of the Klein Karoo, some nice options from Oudtshoorn to Montagu. Probably the area around Cape Town I found that work the best for long gravel rides in terms of the quality of the roads, scenery, weather & accommodation

Also consider making Cape Town your finishing point in stead of the other way around and try to check out the prevailing winds while you plan. Not fun at all to do a few 100km into a headwind and it can be seriously windy in December. I have seen more than one gravel tour in our area killed off by the wind.

The Cape Cross route Dusty posted is a good option

You can also consider incorporating more of the Klein Karoo, some nice options from Oudtshoorn to Montagu. Probably the area around Cape Town I found that work the best for long gravel rides in terms of the quality of the roads, scenery, weather & accommodation

Also consider making Cape Town your finishing point in stead of the other way around and try to check out the prevailing winds while you plan. Not fun at all to do a few 100km into a headwind and it can be seriously windy in December. I have seen more than one gravel tour in our area killed off by the wind.

Amen to all this... And additionally, while not always possible, check road surface conditions if you can... corrugations will sap your will to live

Swellendam to Zuurbraak then continue towards Grootvadersbosch , cross the mountain via Gysmanshoek Pass , on to van Wyksdorp , cross Rooiberg pass to Calitzdorp , them on the Groenrivier/Kruisrivier road , turn left at R328 cross Swartberg Pass and Ill buy you a beer in Prince Albert . If you have energy and time left continue to Willowmore.