The toolbox thread

100Tours

What is this?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

That is a pair of wire locking pliers. Every aviation engineer has one in their tool case.

Something so satisfying about using a pair 

As stated above, Wire locking pliers. Nicknamed twirlies. A lot of bolts and nuts on an aircraft need to be wire locked. The stainless steel locking wire gets twirled to make it stronger. In my position I don't do much of the "dirty" work anymore but more inspections so that is actually one of the most used tools in my box. I often have to cut someones locking and either make them do it again or show them how it is meant to be done. I used those pliers 5 min after posting the pics. It is very satisfying looking at a perfectly locking after you have done it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Sir.

The price of Snapon is off the scale for the average kippie, although I do a have a good perve every time I go to Toolshop in Randburg.

Although I think V12 man is not impartial to the brand....

The price of Snapon is off the scale for the average kippie, although I do a have a good perve every time I go to Toolshop in Randburg.

Although I think V12 man is not impartial to the brand....

Must not look at Snapon website....must not look at Snapon website...ahhhh bugger

That is a pair of wire locking pliers. Every aviation engineer has one in their tool case.

Something so satisfying about using a pair 

As stated above, Wire locking pliers. Nicknamed twirlies. A lot of bolts and nuts on an aircraft need to be wire locked. The stainless steel locking wire gets twirled to make it stronger. In my position I don't do much of the "dirty" work anymore but more inspections so that is actually one of the most used tools in my box. I often have to cut someones locking and either make them do it again or show them how it is meant to be done. I used those pliers 5 min after posting the pics. It is very satisfying looking at a perfectly locking after you have done it.

so julle trek draad die helle dag?

why is the one section sheathed in clear hosing?

There is a raised section on the gearbox that the wire goes over and touches. So it can chafe(spelling?) against the Aluminium case. 

Here is an example of 3 oil sump plugs on a gearbox. 

I need something like that on the Landy. D and I replaced the spotlights a year or 2 back, and he noticed a missing screw that holds the grille. Then saw another one.....and some more. In total we found something like 20 minor missing bits and pieces that we must have rattled loose and lost somewhere on Africas' corrugated roads. Nothing serious though. For a moment I thought of doing an experiment to see how many nuts, bolts and screws we could do without and still keep going, but luckily sense prevailed and we added split washers and Locktite to just about anything we could reach.......  :D