The toolbox thread

100Tours

Why oh why do you show us places like this??? I am fairly successful in trying to avoid Adendorff (was there last week and bought more than I should). Now another tool place. NOOOOOOOO! I will go there ASAP and report back.

We HAVE to welcome new shops to 'Gasoline Alley' - its just the 'right' thing to do ^_^ , and those Candy-Apple-Red colours just attract us, like insects to flowers!

Let us know when you've visited, what you thought - as stated, I have no brief for them, ONLY to wish them all success opening a store in a potentially difficult period - would love to see them succeed!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive you want something cheap that works damn well for the price

https://www.altiven.co.za/shop

Thanks for the intro Jaws, had never heard of them, popped in yesterday and was pretty impressed with their stuff for the Adendorff equivalent prices, bought a couple of woodworking clamps to trial as a start  :thumbup:

What have you got of theirs and how long has it lasted?

PS the "Home of the Chicken Pie" have a factory outlet next door  :drool:

Seeing everyone needing compressors to seat mtb tubeless tyres. Just use a pump. Last time I used a compressor(petrol station) I learned a few things...

How soft stans rims are

How easily you can blow a tyre off a rim

What stans sealant tastes like

What stans sealant does up your nose

What stans Sealant feels like in your eyes

How long your hears ring after a 2 bar explosion

How long it takes your hearing to recover

How far 60ml of Stans can go

How much of the interior of a BMW X1 60ml of Stans can cover

How hard it is to clean Stans sealant out the interior of a car(just sell the car IMO)

Seeing everyone needing compressors to seat mtb tubeless tyres. Just use a pump. Last time I used a compressor(petrol station) I learned a few things...

How soft stans rims are

How easily you can blow a tyre off a rim

What stans sealant tastes like

What stans sealant does up your nose

What stans Sealant feels like in your eyes

How long your hears ring after a 2 bar explosion

How long it takes your hearing to recover

How far 60ml of Stans can go

How much of the interior of a BMW X1 60ml of Stans can cover

How hard it is to clean Stans sealant out the interior of a car(just sell the car IMO)

Out of interest, I found this hack interesting:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183111-stuff-you-learnt-the-hard-way-by-being-your-own-mechanic/?p=3772641

Setting the Bead on a Brand New Tubeless Tyre.

Tyre is Dry Straight out of the Packaging

Rim is Clean and Dry.

The Tool  is a Tyre Liner from Sportsman's Warehouse.

Stretch it tight over the tread.

You can use any pump even a medium volume Hand Pump works.

attachicon.gif TublissSecret.jpgattachicon.gif tubliss.jpg

post-27827-0-50053200-1614241528_thumb.jpg

post-27827-0-25635900-1614241535_thumb.jpg

We HAVE to welcome new shops to 'Gasoline Alley' - its just the 'right' thing to do ^_^ , and those Candy-Apple-Red colours just attract us, like insects to flowers!

Let us know when you've visited, what you thought - as stated, I have no brief for them, ONLY to wish them all success opening a store in a potentially difficult period - would love to see them succeed!

Zebra where do you work ?  Very impressive looking "Gasoline alley" ....

Been a while since I was in Paarden Island.  GOOD to see some areas getting a second life.

Zebra where do you work ?  Very impressive looking "Gasoline alley" ....

Been a while since I was in Paarden Island.  GOOD to see some areas getting a second life.

I work at/in Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories - it's my own business, and after moving here 7-odd years back, then GS Bike Traders (2nd hand BMW only...) , Metalheads (2nd hand Harley, new Indians...) Scott Motorcycles (2nd hand all brands),

....a Cafe Racer shop that came and went, and Tims Motorcycles (repairs only, MOSTLY to older big singles/Thumpers, etc) all opened up shop (Scott then moved into bigger premises in Section Street), so thus the moniker 'Gasoline Alley', and then there is KTM and Trac-Mac one block up, in Marine Drive...

Imagine CWC + Bridge Cycles + Olympic + Specialized Concept Store + Revolution Cycles + a few others, all in one street - fun times!

Cheers

Chris

post-1199-0-19145100-1614250996_thumb.jpg

I had the luxury of using my dads tools for many years, until getting married and moving out.

Had the basic bike tools as those were essential but just didn't have the basics for DIY home stuff.

So wife decided to get me this "starter" kit.

post-67394-0-60297000-1614271101_thumb.jpg

Is Geoff still running GS Bike Traders ?

No; he left end of December, wants to get back to doing a lot more riding, both for ABM Club, as well as his own tours; he is something of a mentor tome.

Chris

No; he left end of December, wants to get back to doing a lot more riding, both for ABM Club, as well as his own tours; he is something of a mentor tome.

Chris

He is one of a kind :)

Spent some with him on 2 wheels .... some good trips ....

Later I was fortunate to attend some of his 4x4 sessions at Atlantis.

What a good man !!

This made me think of another session at Atlantis with Hein from Burnco doing training ..... a couple just could not get up this one twisty bit ..... after the third roll back Hein walks up and asks the driver to please move the seat forward a bit ....

"Why?"

"So that you press the petrol pedal ALL the way down."

He said it in such a dry manner, and such a calm voice .... :)

Edited by ChrisF

Where would i get a nice rubber mat for table tops. Not for the entire table area ?

Rectangular vehicle floor mats work great, you get the ones with deep tread and light tread. The deep ones are nice for taking things apart because the tread catches all the little parts and stops them from rolling away. They are also easy to pick up and then empty the accumulated dirt in the bin or outside.

Checkers in the bigger stores with an automotive section has some nice light tread ones that were also the cheapest I could find , Midas also has a few variations.

I had the luxury of using my dads tools for many years, until getting married and moving out.

Had the basic bike tools as those were essential but just didn't have the basics for DIY home stuff.

So wife decided to get me this "starter" kit.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210225-183743_Gallery.jpg

Been eyeing that set on Takealot!

Also been using my Dad's Gedore socket set (which is older than me) for many years so I have no doubt that these will serve you well.