The toolbox thread

100Tours

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been eyeing that set on Takealot!

Also been using my Dad's Gedore socket set (which is older than me) for many years so I have no doubt that these will serve you well.

Its on special at Makro for 4k, and comes with a free 12v cordless drill which is a small but handy thing to have.

Takealot is r4500 at the moment.

Yeah these should last a lifetime. My Dads Gedore stuff is probably 30-40 years old, but also sure that quality was much better back then.

Will do, it was on my list anyways, so you are expediting the process!

Will get back to you - sending you a WhatsApp on a bicycle I've found...

Any news on the JIS screwdrivers?

I had the luxury of using my dads tools for many years, until getting married and moving out.

Had the basic bike tools as those were essential but just didn't have the basics for DIY home stuff.

So wife decided to get me this "starter" kit.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210225-183743_Gallery.jpg

You have a great wife and if that’s what she considers “a starter kit” then your garage will be full of Park Tools soon[emoji3][emoji106]

What is this new Gedore Red like? Always been a fan...

Also had the massive issue of leaving home and not having access to the old mans workshop. 10 years later he comes to borrow tools from me now so it is a win win all round haha

Looks to be decent, not as "solid" in feel vs the blue set but guess only time will tell how they hold up

You have a great wife and if that’s what she considers “a starter kit” then your garage will be full of Park Tools soon[emoji3][emoji106]

Hahaha, yes there's some bike tools that I could do with, bday is in April so will have to put my order in soon :w00t:

What is this new Gedore Red like? Always been a fan...

Also had the massive issue of leaving home and not having access to the old mans workshop. 10 years later he comes to borrow tools from me now so it is a win win all round haha

A couple of years ago, Gedore introduced Carolus as their second label. The Gedore Red label has now replaced this. While Blue is made in Germany, the Red label is made in some other "3rd world" country (might be Taiwan?) at a lower price point. 

It's seems, over the last year Gedore prices have gone off the chart. You're now paying for the Red what the Blue cost about a year ago. Can't blame the exchange rate for 50+% increase. Perhaps it's just a strategic marketing move, to align Gedore Blue with higher end tools like Snap-on. But, the red/old carolus is considered entry level stuff overseas, and the price point seems much lower there.

It's seems, over the last year Gedore prices have gone off the chart. You're now paying for the Red what the Blue cost about a year ago..

I saw that. Wanted to add a few pieces to my gedore blue set, but I will have to rein in my blue tool snobbism. I'm not working in a commercial environment, my tools are effectively being used to a fraction of their capabilities. So red will do just fine. Edited by PhilipV

Hahaha, yes there's some bike tools that I could do with, bday is in April so will have to put my order in soon :w00t:

There isn't much stock out there at the moment. I am hoping a for a shipment to arrive at the distributer in a few weeks as I have a few items on my wish list at Evobikes.

Unless you are using them commercially (and even then probably very little difference) Blue vs Red Gedore is a moot point, I have Gedore red ratcheting spanners and the quality is top shelf.

Apologies, took today off to cycle with retired friends my age,!

But will call them, and revert back here!

Cheers

Chris

Some nice items in this video:

Topeak Mini Ratchet Tool

Chain Wear Checker

Digital Caliper

Park Tool Spoke Tension meter

Park Tool Wheel Holder

IXS Zipper Knee Pad

Wera Hex Keys with bolt holding feature

Edited by MrJacques

Called TENG, neither their shop nor Tool Imports on Voortrekker Rd Goodwood have stock, and they cannot GET stock; they suggest you try Snap On: Russell ‘Kiwi’ Taylor is the guy to call : 082 922 5444; be aware he sells into Retail, not to public, but can advise where to purchase...

Then Bronwyn Buxey: WURTH Tools, 082 774 7635: their JIS screwdrivers are called PH2: 3 lengths avail: 25mm, 100mm and 445(!) mm, be aware Wurth sell into Retailers, and not to the public.

Shout if you need help, we have accounts with both...

We HAVE to welcome new shops to 'Gasoline Alley' - its just the 'right' thing to do ^_^ , and those Candy-Apple-Red colours just attract us, like insects to flowers!

Let us know when you've visited, what you thought - as stated, I have no brief for them, ONLY to wish them all success opening a store in a potentially difficult period - would love to see them succeed!

So, I didn't tell my wife I was going to a tool shop and left home with only set amount of cash. Thank goodness I left the card at home.

Teng Tools are some of the best quality I have seen - honestly. IMO it looks better than Gedore. And it's red. So you must be working faster too?

Teng Tools are more geared towards the automotive world, but there are tools I would buy. I am looking at tools from my perspective and hobbies/occupation - self employed plumber, working on MTB's general DIY. And there tools that us cyclists would use. The hex key and torq key sets are very good - and very good priced.

And yes, they are some of the tools that are expensive, but if you are the person who looking to buy tools once and never again, this is it. The previous pics from Zebra, is exactly what the shop looks like. But there are also another shop in Parow, right next to Craigs Motorcycles, 73 Voortrekker Road, so if you are coming from the Northern Suburbs of CT, you don't have to go all the way to Paarden Island.