The toolbox thread

100Tours

fully aware of the possibility of stolen goods.

But I did spot some hand tools that I've last seen in my grandfathers tool box, things that are very useful that you cant find in the shops.

Also something like the odd socket size that you need etc.

I hear you, but what if someone stole your bike, sold it to a pawn shop and someone's justification on buying it was "I can't find a bike like that in the shops anymore"

Each to their own and all that though....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you, but what if someone stole your bike, sold it to a pawn shop and someone's justification on buying it was "I can't find a bike like that in the shops anymore"

Each to their own and all that though....

Not arguing. I agree with your point. I've never bought anything from a pawn shop, its very possible everything inside is stolen, its also very possible that only a very small percentage of whats inside is stolen. You never know.

Makes one want to engrave your name into your tools .... like my Parktool chain whip I let someone use and then it was never returned ... and unfortunately I can not recall who it was :(

I had my name and number laser printed onto my leatherman. I broke the one screw driver so sent it away for repair. I asked them, if possible to just replace the broken common but then they just sent me a whole new unit. Man I was a bit upset but I got a brand new leatherman so didn't complain. Then as with so many other things here at work, the laser engraver stopped working and there is no money to fix it.

Makes no difference, a friend's Dad did that, he worked on forklifts, marked his tools so that other people in the workshop couldn't take his tools, they got stolen out his bakkie one day, saw them months later in a pawn shop, with his initials engraved on the tools, showed the shop owner his ID to try prove they were his tools, didn't help

Initials do not do the trick .. full name, surname, height, DNA code, etc required.

It would appear they no longer have stock of the Dual Spinner .....

attachicon.gifDual spinner.jpg

Somehow one made its way into my tool tray ...... :whistling:

finally a tool that WORKS inside a bottle cage and similar confined spaces. :clap:

Fatal mistake .... walked around the shop a bit ..... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just could not pass this little gem - https://teng-tools.co.za/products/582mi?_pos=4&_sid=b9b93f388&_ss=r

TENK also has this (thankfully I have enough versions of this...) - https://teng-tools.co.za/pages/search-results-page?q=cyclists

It is NOT "small and compact", rather think of full sized multi-tool to have in the car for those weekends away ...

Found something similar this week. And its realy small. Price is also nice and small.

post-62666-0-34441200-1614695910_thumb.jpg

Found something similar this week. And its realy small. Price is also nice and small.

Where did you find that and what is a "nice and small price" please?

I recognise that make [emoji10]

Super sketchy Chinese shop brand, but they do make some ok stuff from time to time, price normally awesome and if it works it works.

I recognise that make [emoji10]

Super sketchy Chinese shop brand, but they do make some ok stuff from time to time, price normally awesome and if it works it works.

This one feels realy good. This one is not a ratchet type, so less parts to brake. And with a 1/4 Inch attachment at the rear end.

Dear Tool Guru's

A friend gave me this Ryobi CD-1414 Cordless Driver Drill a while back, but he did not have the battery charger. I did spend the odd Saturday at Builders asking if they could get a charger, but a year down the road I am still waiting for them to reply to my repeated requests.

I assume one can buy a battery charger for this and would it be a ridiculous amount of money that you may as well buy a new drill?

I

I would check the voltage on the battery first. Is it's dead then it's a problem.

Then I would find any 14.4v power supply at the local cash Crusaders that can fit. You might need to sacrifice two to get the right voltage and match to the fitting.

Or find an identical one that has a charger. Two drills one charger!

I

I would check the voltage on the battery first. Is it's dead then it's a problem.

Then I would find any 14.4v power supply at the local cash Crusaders that can fit. You might need to sacrifice two to get the right voltage and match to the fitting.

Or find an identical one that has a charger. Two drills one charger!

What would you guys suggest if one was in the market for a cordless drill? I ideally would use it for screws every now and then.

Big drilling jobs will be left for my trusty Blue Bosch corded Drill.

I've bought some One Day Only specials in the past but those batteries die within a couple of months and you are left with a useless piece of plastic.

Brand, range, voltage? I don't know how much one should spend. I am hoping R1000 can get you something that lasts a while?

I've got a Bosch Blue 12V drill, comes with 2 batteries and charger, that works very well. My dad @Porqui has a draw full of them that he uses in his carpentry business. Look around for pricing. Builders often actually has the best prices on them, got one for R998 about 12 months back from them. Price varies from R1000 - R1500, so look around for the best deal.

Initials do not do the trick .. full name, surname, height, DNA code, etc required.

If one is serious and the tool is expensive; engrave and photograph or photograph serial number.

I've got a Bosch Blue 12V drill, comes with 2 batteries and charger, that works very well. My dad @Porqui has a draw full of them that he uses in his carpentry business. Look around for pricing. Builders often actually has the best prices on them, got one for R998 about 12 months back from them. Price varies from R1000 - R1500, so look around for the best deal.

I have 2 of these. Works good. Every so often work keeps me out of my garage for a few weeks .... these units last well through this.

Neighbour is an electrical contractor. They have many of these units. Their units WORK HARD, and it lasts many years

I have 2 of these. Works good. Every so often work keeps me out of my garage for a few weeks .... these units last well through this.

Neighbour is an electrical contractor. They have many of these units. Their units WORK HARD, and it lasts many years

He likely has A Hitachi, every electrician I know has one.

The place I'm at currently has two of the handheld ones, a grinder and a big ass drill (drilling walls).

I've looked up the handheld drills and they're fairly complicated, large steel chuck that's connected to this gear system and then the motor obviously. They all come with 5amp/hr batteries that last forever and the machines can use each other's batteries as well.

Thought about getting myself one then I saw the price, between 13k and 14k at most places I could find.

Hitachi and Hikoki might be the same thing, they look identical on the outside

I may have the same one....had it for about 11 or 12 years now...I wanted to use it the other day and now neither battery really holds charge for more than an hour or so....

It looks like the standard is now 18v so I think I will just get a new one sometime rather than try and find batteries...

Zero problems with it though in all these years...