The toolbox thread

100Tours

I watched that on my bus commute last week. I need a Makita sponsorship like Scott Brown has, hahaha!

Those 40V tools are nice, but pricey! I do have my eye on that 36V dust extractor with AWS, but at around R7200 (equiv) here, it's a pretty pricey sawdust sucker (plus I'd have to buy at least 2 more batteries)

That said, I did treat myself to a router upgrade and got the brushless trim router (and finally some Makita batteries, 2x 3Ah).

drt50_1-1.jpg

The nice thing about this router is that it has the same body as my Makita RT0700C corded router so the plunge base and all other accessories are compatible.

As for the batteries and charging, damn that rapid charger is awesome! Charges the 3Ah from dead to full in under 30min.

Edited by patches

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard from a few builders here that besides the obvious advantages of portability and working on sites that don't have power, the other benefit to going cordless is avoiding the need for tools to be tagged & tested.

I believe the usual intervals are every 6 months, however some commercial sites require re-tagging & testing each time work is started on a new site, no matter how current the previous tagging was.

I watched that on my bus commute last week. I need a Makita sponsorship like Scott Brown has, hahaha!

Those 40V tools are nice, but pricey! I do have my eye on that 36V dust extractor with AWS, but at around R7200 (equiv) here, it's a pretty pricey sawdust sucker (plus I'd have to buy at least 2 more batteries)

That said, I did treat myself to a router upgrade and got the brushless trim router (and finally some Makita batteries, 2x 3Ah).

drt50_1-1.jpg

The nice thing about this router is that it has the same body as my Makita RT0700C corded router so the plunge base and all other accessories are compatible.

As for the batteries and charging, damn that rapid charger is awesome! Charges the 3Ah from dead to full in under 30min.

This is a very spiffy trimmer. Got my eyes on a CNC that uses this as the spindle. Will use a corded on though

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill and impact driver.  Currently I have the following in my basket at Strand Hardware.  Could not get a better deal at Top Dog Tools or Power Tool Services here in Cape Town.

attachicon.gifCart.jpg

Anybody here know of a better deal on these tools?  Also, any recommendations on impact bits to get for the impact driver would be great.

Thanks.

I needed to put up some units in my garage and used my Makita cordless with hammer action. Drilled most of the holes OK, but one or two were a sukkel. Turned to my budget Ryobi with the same drill bit and I was startled by how fast it finished the problem holes. Some things work better than others, but not always.

I needed to put up some units in my garage and used my Makita cordless with hammer action. Drilled most of the holes OK, but one or two were a sukkel. Turned to my budget Ryobi with the same drill bit and I was startled by how fast it finished the problem holes. Some things work better than others, but not always.

Was the Ryobi cordless?

This is a very spiffy trimmer. Got my eyes on a CNC that uses this as the spindle. Will use a corded on though

Yup, that's the one I'm selling at the moment. Got it in a kit with various bases. Kept the bases and accessories and only replaced the unit itself with the cordless version.

Only other benefit (besides the lack of cord) seems to be that the cordless one has a light :lol:

This was the original kit I purchased.

rt0700cx21_1.jpg

There are local (NZ) made CNC's here that use them too. I had my eye on one, but budget and space are the main limitations.

MX2_wtable_last-4.jpg

https://www.phoenix-tech.co.nz/collections/vertigo-cnc-machines

The YouTuber famous X-Carve uses the Dewalt equiv as far as I am aware.

Edited by patches

I hung a 200l geyser side mounted on a wall with 18mm rawl bolts a few weeks back with nothing but the bottom end makita cordless drill with hammer function. Pilot with a 6mm drill then followed through with a bigger bit(shank turned down to fit in the chuck). I can't say it was a struggle at all. I have an SDS and a 1400w corded drill but the reality is life if just easier with a cordless drill... I still use the corded drill with the tile cement auger and the sds is there purely for deconstruction and the infrequency of using those tools means that cheap corded out weighs the cordless price.

I am also eyeing out the battery trim router, but will see if budget allows, there is a lot of building work in my future and other tools will take preference.

So I ended up buying the Makita cordless drill and impact driver, the normal brushed versions. 

This weekend I made a new gate to put up on the side of the house that leads to the backyard.  Had to drill 16mm holes in the concrete.  I always drill smaller holes first because in my experience the smaller holes does not tend to drift off coarse that easily in concrete.  So fist an 8mm hole and then the 16mm hole.  No problem for the cordless drill.  That said, the house is build with cheese and not really a true test for the drill.

Having the impact driver also makes life so much easier than before.  No more changing of bits every time I drilled a pilot hole and needs to drive in the screw.  It is a bit of a learning curve to control the speed with the trigger and not drive the screw through both pieces of wood but when you have that under control it is so much easier to drive it in to the correct depth that with the drill. 

My next tool is for sure a cordless orbital sander.  Sanding stuff by hand is not a job for someone that does not get paid to do it.  I think the sander might already be in my basket.....

Thanks for sharing.

I’m trying to choose a brush cutter and a chainsaw at the moment and can’t decide between cordless or petrol. The Dewalt cordless brushless 54V option seems good, but with 40 mins use on heavy bush with a 9mah battery, and new batteries running at £200, I might have to stick with petrol for now. Really struggling to decide. At least one battery can suit the chainsaw and the BC.

Thanks for sharing.

I’m trying to choose a brush cutter and a chainsaw at the moment and can’t decide between cordless or petrol. The Dewalt cordless brushless 54V option seems good, but with 40 mins use on heavy bush with a 9mah battery, and new batteries running at £200, I might have to stick with petrol for now. Really struggling to decide. At least one battery can suit the chainsaw and the BC.

I am in similar situation. I am leaning more towards a chainsaw as it is probably more versatile. I am for sure not going with a battery option considering how often I would use it.